Bosun's chair

lynnware

Hello
My theater is thinking about putting some spot operators over the audience in our black box theater but we have no place to put them(we are not allowed to build deck in our grid an let them hang out up there). I have been asked to look into a bosun chair set up to see if it is possible and safe.
Someone found a chair but is there a certain set up you need to use?
I imagine that we need track with a chair connected to our grid so that the operators can get to their spots.
I think I will have to build a platform that will enable the two spot ops to get into their chairs safely and then they will need to go out over the audience via a track system to get to their spots.
Is their a company I should be talking to about this? Although the more I think about it the more I want to build a deck in the grid.

Thanks for the help

Re: Bosun chair

Are you trying to get full size followspots in the grid? Why not use an ERS as a followspot, such as the ever popular source four zoom a stick solution? Throw distance should be fine for a black box, and being much less bulky getting an operator up there with the light should be less of an issue. Building a bosun chair just sounds like a bad idea, and can open up a huge legal can of worms if something would go wrong.

Most likely they will be using an ERS but my problem is still where do I put the operators. The request from the lighting designer is that the spots are on center which is right over the head of the audience. I would not mind building spot op towers beside the audience but the location is not desirable for the designer. The space above the grid does not have a fall arrest system so I would have to have one installed if I were to deck the grid. Or I try and do a tracking bosun chair over the head of the audience. Still not great especially if someone leaves items in their pockets.
Thanks

Most likely they will be using an ERS but my problem is still where do I put the operators. The request from the lighting designer is that the spots are on center which is right over the head of the audience. I would not mind building spot op towers beside the audience but the location is not desirable for the designer. The space above the grid does not have a fall arrest system so I would have to have one installed if I were to deck the grid. Or I try and do a tracking bosun chair over the head of the audience. Still not great especially if someone leaves items in their pockets.
Thanks

Ah ok. I had visions of super troupers hanging from the roof ;)

......thinking about putting some spot operators over the audience .............. I have been asked to look into a bosun chair set up to see if it is possible and safe.................

First, this is NOT a DIY project. Don't try it at home.

Next, this can be done and done safely, BUT, a Bosun's shair is not the right product. You are looking for a spot Op chair

< TOMCAT - Staging, Lighting and Support Systems > Click on products - click on Specialized Truss Products - Click on Spot Chair.

This is just one example, most truss manufacturers have a version. Installation and all the other things are after you decide to go this route. Other things include access to the chair, local codes, etc. Access can mean installing a life line to get the op to the chair and clip off anchoring along the way. Local code can restrict you to when the operator may enter the chair, and depending on various things like how you clip in and if it is track mounted and if, and if , and if.........!

Third, contact your local professional rigging company to advise you on this.

Do not, repeat do not, use a bosun's seat. At all. Period. This is not the correct solution to this problem, at all. Do what MPowers is telling you, or get ahold of Sapsis.

I'd like to tell you what "the least of your problems is" with this set up, but there are no "least" problems with this. Hire the pro's.

Hey Whatrigger? The poster is in California. Is there a local company you can suggest? Or does he need to deal with one of the big national companies like Sapsis for this?

Ah ok. I had visions of super troupers hanging from the roof ;)
Been there, done that. Last Rolling Stones tour. Each op has his own 1/2T chain hoist to get him into position. For a Bette Midler tour some years ago, two front Lycian 1290s; motor power doubled as spot power. Brilliant.

As for the chair itself, most truss spot ops prefer
8544-bosun-chair-chair.jpg

Follow Spot Chairs - James Thomas Engineering

Some Cirque shows use Recaro racing seats. Far cry from a bosun's chair!

... The poster is in California. Is there a local company you can suggest? ...
Branam and Kish come immediately to mind. I'm sure there are others.

Attachments

• chair.jpg
    chair.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 1,615

Hey Whatrigger? The poster is in California. Is there a local company you can suggest? Or does he need to deal with one of the big national companies like Sapsis for this?

Well, whaddya know...hang on and let me hit the PM side and see....

Where are my glasses?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back