botched os update on leviton innovator

joat222

Hi everyone,

On Saturday I tried updating the os on my leviton innovator 24/48 to version 1.35. But when the new os finished installing, nothing worked. The board doesn't even boot up now so I can't access the menus anymore to try to install a different os. Has anybody had this problem? Does anybody have any ideas? Is there a way to get the board to boot from a floppy? Or maybe take out the memory chip and flash the os onto it?

Thanks for your replies,
Kevin

where do you get your board updates? are they just on the leviton nsi site?

I know it is a different animal, but I had a NSI MLC 16 moving light control board (and now use the NSI 128R) and have had several problems with the software updates. I completely crashed the MLC 16 on an update and trying to load the new fixtures. NSI was a pain in the butt in trying to get tech support from them.

I sent it to a repair shop and they were able to fix it, but said they could not get the updates to work either, and it would be impossible to load the new fixtures into it. They hooked it up to their computer and were able to export the operating system from the computer and onto the board. I ended up selling it, but bought the updated version. I would rather switch companies, but all of my guys know that board and there is no training involved in keeping this one.

Good luck.

Odds are you will have to send it into a shop to get it fixed. I am not sure what OS that console is built off of, so it could be a hard flashed chip that will have to be physically reprogrammed to work again.

Leviton support told me the following:

First try holding [clear] as you power on the board. Continue to hold [clear] for 4-5 seconds and then release. The board should now recognize the new os. The tech told me that he doesn't know why they don't inform the users that this usually needs to be done. Am going to try that and see if it works.

He said that if that doesn't work, I could open the cover and find on the CPU chip two pins with the words "system load" written next to them. If I were to connect these two pins (basically with something metallic) and then power on the board, the board would read from the floppy drive and attempt to load the os from disk (kind of like boot from floppy on a pc). Hopefully it the first thing doesn't work, this will. We will see.

Thanks for all your replies. Will let you know how it goes.

- kevin

The first method didn't work, but I tried force booting from a floppy and this time the os worked. Thank goodness. Thanks for all your replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back