Breakup Gobo inventory

propmonkey

We are about to order a dozen or more breakup gobos for general specials and effects. what breakups do you all use and recommend that look good and that will last.

glass or metal? or both?

metal

why dont you save the money and make your own break up gobos are really simple.

take a pie plate and a hammer and nail and i think you can figure out the rest

JH

are those really worth the time?

yea, some of the time, if all you need is some holes in a plate that wont last to long, then yea, its fine, but if you want tree gobos and such, you need to buy them. unless of course you have a laser cutter.

I would suggest the following when it comes to rosco, I dont have my other catalogs next to me, so ill only do rosco for now
R77805
R77811
R79660
R78221
R78217
R79100
R77863
R77721
R78219
R77530
R77527
R77951
R77787

these all can be fairly useful, but of course, it all depends on the show.

we have 2 rosco vortex 360 gobo rotators, we would like to get a collection of gobos to create effects with them. as of now we have the gobos for the water effect but what gobos will we need for a rain effect? a fire effect? and what other effects can we create with them?

ohhh thats what you want. should have specified that. i dont have my catalog so i cant help right now, but ill look later.

though, working with rotators, ive noticed that you really can only get so much with metal, though nice, but if you guys can even get jsut two glass gobos, your set.

we want a good slection for just gobo washes and we also want some for our rotators effects.

This may be a stupid question, why are you ordering stock Gobos?Generaly you just order gobos from the show budget and only order the ones you need that are specific to the show. There are two reasons for that.

1 you may buy a whole stock of what you think you need but you didnt buy the one you really need but now your out of budget.

2 Gobos DO NOT last a long time. They will burn out decay, untill they are useless. This can happen in 1 use or a year of use it depends on the way the fixture is alligned and so on and so on. But why end up needing this gobo but have no budget to replace it well you have tones of other ones but they all arent the right image for the show.

these are just some reasons mabey they havent occured to you yet. or they have and it doesnt mean anything to you who knows. its just like buying gel most places keep stocks of the standards like a red, green and blue but they dont go out and purchess the whole apolo catalog that would be silly. they order what the show needs. because its an expendable. you toss gell just like you eventualy toss gobos.

the above comments apply to metal gobos not glass but glass has its quirks too.

JH

we want about a dozen or so breakups for general shows and rentals and stuff like that not for our productions. like one reason i want some breakups is for a benefit concert were trying to organize for march, i want go all out on it. my director also wants to have gobos on hand for our rotators. we only use them in our source4 zooms(only instruments we have that they fit in) so those will last a long time.

that helps alot, anyone else have some tips for thsose effects? anyone else have any that youve discovered that work great?

Thanks Sandals, you beat me to the link... :)

Jon has a good point regarding gobo life, which is why Apollo uses 8 mil stainless steel with high nickel and chromium content. This is opposed to thinner stainless from other makers that will rust over time, and wind up getting 'tossed'. Stick with a better product and you will get what you paid for.

Glass gobos are great but they are 3 to 4 times more expensive the metal ones. a full colour reporducion can cost almost 500 dollars. they can create a great effect and can be used to project a exact picture or a company logo in full colour. they are long lasting but are extremly fragile. if they are going to change fixtures allot its probably not the best choice but if it will be used in the same fixture every day for hours a day its a great choice to make.

Radiant concepts is a great company

http://www.gogogobos.com/

If the client has no specific demands, but wants some gobos on the ceiling, here's what I do. Take one that has larger, random rectangular shapes, and one that has smaller, random curved shapes, and put them in lekos from different directions onto the same surface. Most of the time I'll use one with a red gel and the other with an amber, but it depends on the theme and the colors in the room already.

we want a good asortment of just metals ones for lekos. for the 2 gobo rotators it doesnt matter as long as we get the effect. for the water effect it uses 2 metal and one glass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back