Bridge an amp.

What does it mean to bridge an amp? Does it make sounds sound better? I heard of somebody doing it and never quite found out what it means.

Simple explanation : Stereo amp rated at 200w/channel, bridged would be momo at ~300w. (just an example) Basically you are taking two channels, making them one and increasing overall power output.

Can be done by either flipping a dipswitch in the back of the amp or coupling the two outputs together (ever see a muilti unit in a speakon patching system, that's what that is for).

Conservatively, yes, but read the manual before you try it. Usually how its done is to set it to bridge, and run the positive lead from the speaker to the left channel's positive output, and the negative lead from the speaker to the right channel's positive output. BTW, The Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook has a great section on amp bridging. This is a book every sound tech should have, and its cheap too (at least at Amazon).

I have been pondering bridging two amps together and if it would work some. My reason for thinking it wouldn't work is that they may be slightly out of phase in which case it would almost be a war inside the speaker as to which amp is driving the speaker more. Anyone have any thoughts on bridging two amps together? Just for the record I don't plan on ever doing it, just thinking of if it would work well or not.

i think if you are using speakon (neutrik) connectors you also have to wire them differently for bridging

at school our main pa is running 2 amps
one in stereo driving the left and right main speakers
and one bridged driving out sub

Users who are viewing this thread

Back