The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Bright but Dark?!?

Discussion in 'Lighting and Electrics' started by SLC Tech, May 25, 2006.

1. SLC Tech

SLC Tech Member

Does any of you lighting tech have clients that come up to you and say " we want this scene BRIGHT but DARK?" I just have to laugh to myself! :lol:

2. moderately_clueless

moderately_clueless Member

Well, I'm a long way from having real clients, but I have a theory that PTO parents are worse. I had to light "American Idol" in the high school theatre for an afterprom activity. I had parents coming up to me asking if we had any lights that simultaneously drop gold glitter. They also wanted our lights to move in rhythm to the music, and considering we're a humble theatre of nothing fancier than source fours. I was ever so sad to dissappoint them.

3. Footer

Footer Senior Team Senior Team Premium Member

Well you can be bright but dark... if you light from high angles with saturated colors you can light the object well but it will appear to be dark.

4. dwt1

dwt1 Member

Good point on the angles...also, side light can add reasonable visibility but can be focused to avoid scenic surfaces.

5. len

len Well-Known Member

Keep the lights jumping, but smooth.

6. ship

ship Senior Team Emeritus Premium Member

Use Low Pressure Sodium Vapor Lamps. Huge in brightness but zero color rendering. It's a concept..... Long story.

7. GRCHSCAW

GRCHSCAW Member

I have a director that says that all the time she has no clue how to do lighting. If you bright the light down she will complain that you can see the person on stage. It goes back and forth untill we are on to the next seen.