Broadway Lighting Systems

Hello,

I am currently in grad school earning my MFA in Theatre Design and Technical production specializing in Lighting and Scenic design. I am in a lighting class right now that has given me the assignment of researching the lighting systems for large Broadway musical productions. Does anyone have any information on this or any tips on where I could find this information?

Thank you!

Welcome to Control Booth and yes, you have come to the right place. It may take a while before the right person hits this thread, but chances are good that you will run into either an equipment provider, a working tech, or even a designer working on such a show on this forum.

Get a copy of Jean Rosenthal's The Magic of Light. Your school library should have it, or if not try Amazon or Barnes & Noble. It will give you lots of detail on how it's been done for a lot of very successful shows, including hanging plots and board layouts. You might alsao look up Joel Rubin's Theatrical Lighting Practise and McCandless' Syllabus of lighting the Stage. I think Tharon Musser also has a book out there but I can't think of the name--Google her.

What do you mean by "systems"? Do you mean a list like "No Color Backlight" and "Front 45 Lavenders"? Or do you mean how the lighting systems are actually constructed, cabled, powered, etc? Or something else? If you can clarify what kind of information you're looking for, I can help you out.

What do you mean by "systems"? Do you mean a list like "No Color Backlight" and "Front 45 Lavenders"? Or do you mean how the lighting systems are actually constructed, cabled, powered, etc? Or something else? If you can clarify what kind of information you're looking for, I can help you out.

I mean "front light", "side light", "back light", etc. Thank you for your help!

There was a time when two of the existing technical publications - Theatre Crafts and Lighting Dimensions, would include a light plot with an article about a particular Broadway lighting design.

The current magazines, Live Design and PLSN (being the one's I'm subscribed too) rarely do so. Typically it's an extensive article about the design and you could gather info. from them as to the design choices, color and focus systems used as well as equipment used, which is typically listed in some detail.

Other then those resources, I'm unaware of other choices outside of directly contacting the designers themselves to gather info., with perhaps a nicely worded letter as to the nature of the research project.

Other resources, such as our very own Rochem and possibly Victor, are probably going to end up as the best source of info. currently, as to the shows they are working on and have worked on, so ask away.

You might want to check out ' TheLightingArchive.org". This has a number of complete designs. Mostly older shows , although there is a full set of drawings from a remount of chorus line in 2006

Having been LD for a number of shows at Radio City Music Hall, I can describe their in-house hand.

FOH offers L/R balcony positions and L/R torms each having 24 lekos. There is also what's called X's & O's which is a high ceiling position offering 36 beam projectors to light the orchestra pit when raised to stage level.

On stage there are four entrances each having 48 lekos both left and right along with 5 overhead pipes. The pipes are hung with a mixture of lekos, Par64's and occasional beam projectors.

The Cyc is lit from above with 1k units and the ground row also features 1k units two deep on rolling dollies.

We would bring in movers to supplement the house gear for some of the later shows I worked with. I don't know what's there now as I haven't been there for almost 15 years.

Hmm. Well first of all, I'll say that when it comes down to the basics of lighting systems, Broadway really isn't any different than other theatres. You're always going to have backlight (for example), but changing how you do that is sometimes more related to saving labor costs than an actual design decision. For example, an out-of-town production may use a two-color backlight system, but upon transferring to New York, maybe they replace that with a single system of scroller backlight to allow the designer more flexibility and reduce the need to send electricians to do color swaps during tech. That same show may then transfer to Broadway and replace that scroller system with a system of Moving Light wash units to reduce the need to send electricians up for focus notes and hanging new fixtures. In each case, the designer is going to use the system in roughly the same way (sure, having the ability to tilt your backlight a bit will be useful, but it's still basically backlight), it's just the tool being used that changes. For a big-budget Broadway musical, it's not uncommon to have not a single ERS overhead, and rely entirely on moving lights for backlight, toplight, sidelight, and whatever you need. This is obviously a lot of equipment cost as well as labor for maintaining and repairing them during the show's run, but it may still end up being cheaper when you consider the alternative of having to hold in tech every time something changes on stage to allow an electrician to go refocus a light. At the same time, another Broadway show might have a very small and simple rig that is smaller than most Regional and Summerstock shows. A show I just worked on had around 200 conventionals, maybe a dozen scrollers, and 4 AutoYokes, and that's it.

I'll be honest, I'm really not sure what your professor is wanting you to get out of this, apart from saying "Broadway uses Backlight, so I should too!", but maybe I'm missing something by hearing about the assignment secondhand. But to answer your question, it sounds like what would be most helpful is some Broadway Magic Sheets that you can peruse. Unfortunately, I'm not willing to give these out to someone over the internet, but you can find a handful of them online. The NYPL Lighting Database and The Lighting Archive are both solid sources, with the latter probably being more useful to you as it has a few more modern shows with graphical magic sheets.

There was a time when two of the existing technical publications - Theatre Crafts and Lighting Dimensions, would include a light plot with an article about a particular Broadway lighting design.

The mention of "Lighting Dimensions" reminds me that I have about 20 years worth of them, early '80s thru '90s. Free to anyone who will cover postage. They have lots of plots and articles on Broadway shows.

Expanding on Rochems comments would be a note that the backstage of a typical Broadway theater is smaller then people realize and there's always a ton of scenery and props crammed in.

That drives the lighting equipment choices to a large degree as the LD sometimes will use movers if only to gain flexibility of very little actual gear crammed in around the flying scenery.

So it's not always a case of choosing movers because the budget allows, it's sometimes what the (sometimes very little) space requires.

The trick for the designers then is to know how best to choose gear that will provide the design choices and I'm always impressed how LD's like Don Holder and Chris Ackerlind, Natasha Katz and al the others have trained their eyes and brains to visualize the differences between conventional S4's with gel,and strollers, from LED's from VL3500 etc... To get those very design choices realized.

The one big difference that you will see when moving up to the Broadway Musical shows is number of followspots increase and the locations can be rather bizarre. Truss spots, catwalk spots, and traditional spots all play a big part in the design process. There is less focus on face light, more on sculpting with the knowledge that a spot will be there to pick up the slack.

Really though, with the exception of the type of units used light is still used the same as any regional house. It all comes down to carrying cost. If a producer knows they have 2-5 years of sales ahead they are going to drive the production one way. If they are doing a limited engagement play they drive it another. The only other consideration is many of the Broadway houses are true 4 walls... everything done in them has to be brought in including dimming and distribution.

Hello,

I am currently in grad school earning my MFA in Theatre Design and Technical production specializing in Lighting and Scenic design. I am in a lighting class right now that has given me the assignment of researching the lighting systems for large Broadway musical productions. Does anyone have any information on this or any tips on where I could find this information?

Thank you!

I think you will find Steve Shelley's book " A Practical Guide to Stage Lighting-Third Edition " (2013) the most comprehensive and up to date description of professional stage lighting practice from a "how to get it done" standpoint. Others may agree or disagree. A good read in any case.

I think you will find Steve Shelley's book " A Practical Guide to Stage Lighting-Third Edition " (2013) the most comprehensive and up to date description of professional stage lighting practice from a "how to get it done" standpoint. Others may agree or disagree. A good read in any case.
.............Concur.

Just bought a copy. Thanks for sharing, I've been reading a book by Richard Pilbrow, it's great but it's about 20 years old.

The mention of "Lighting Dimensions" reminds me that I have about 20 years worth of them, early '80s thru '90s. Free to anyone who will cover postage. They have lots of plots and articles on Broadway shows.
I'd love to see those Lighting Dimension magazines. Have they found a home yet or can I provide them with such?

Thanks,
Scott

Not working on Broadway, but seeing a lot of it, I think one way it tends to differ from regional theatre is the reliance on the box boom or tormentor position. There tend to be as many lights crammed along the house walls as will fit, and often a pretty modest hang in a traditional FOH position. This is probably partly practical, but also provides face light in a way that still sculpts rather than flattening people out. And as footer said, you have follow spots for faces when needed.

"The Visit," designed by Japhy Weideman, uses zero frontlight and zero followspots, as near as I could tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back