Budget Wireless Element Suggestions

dmx

I know the question has been asked before... but I'm wondering what opinions folks have regarding the budget wireless microphone element offerings currently on the market (Bodymics, etc.)

I own 8 Countryman B3's and have a slew of ME2's with some being on their last legs. I'm running into an issue with the ME2's that the physical cable is cracking through the insulation (so not a solution to replace the ends). Some have broken off directly behind the element, but these things have been in use for years, so not too upset about it.

Running 14 channels on assorted Sennheiser 500/300/100 systems.

Thanks!
--Matt

Same Sennheiser systems here. We've replaced most of our 12 year old Countryman elements with a combo of Bodymics Drury Lane earsets (DE3V) lavs (DL3). We've been very happy with both of them - good sound, decent quality, and great customer service.

The price has gone up a fair bit in the last 12 months, but the Bodymics lavs are still a bit cheaper than Microphone Madness (not so much the earsets, though).

Yes our Drury Lane Products have gone up quite a bit - some is increased cost of the capsules, some is cost of labor and some is tariff issues - but the chinese are paying those right? My latest shipment had the original duty rate plus 17.6% "china penalty" add - it was listed as a separate item on the customs invoice.

I think our products are among the best out there and compare favorable with the major brands especially on a bang for buck basis.

If anyone wants to try one of our mics contact me and we will make that happen.

I've purchased for my self and other schools in the area number of the Dury Lane and Broadway elements from @Rod Reilly and his website. Both with the Shure/JTS connectors and for my sennheisers systems. Value for money is still great even with the unfortunate price hike. Hey are priced enough that I can afford to purchase 1 or 2 extras and still be spending less then from other manufactures.
Are they indestructible? No.
But when one breaks or gets gook in it from a middle-school musical. At least I haven't lost a Car Payment to replace it :) And they are still far better then the ME2 (Which I used for years when first starting out) and the Shure WL93's

If I had was on Broadway or other triple AAA productions with budget to support I'd probably still get the DPA/Countryman stuff. But I don't and I haven't so Rod Reilly's my mic guy now!

Does anyone have any experience with the Easy-Fit Earset from bodymics? @Rod Reilly , we're looking at replacing at least two of our mics and the singers have been taping the lav mics to their faces... I'd rather have a headset or earset, but the old sound "guru" thought taping was the best option. They don't like putting them in their hair because "that teardrop in your hairline is super distracting" and I'm personally not a fan of lav mics when there's a lot of costume changes and movement.

They're extra picky about comfort, so I just wanted to know who's used the Easy-Fit and how the actors feel about the comfort of them. Any opinions?

Hi ActsTech.

My personal preference is the lav in the hairline - it doesn't have to extend down the forehead to create a nasty widows peak, it is just a matter of "headroom" (pun intended) ... can you get enough gain before feedback with it another inch away from the mouth. As to distracting, even if the lav is visible in the forehead, it is usually less distracting than an earset mic head bouncing around next to the mouth. Studies have shown that most of us watch a persons lips/mouth when they are speaking/singing, and that anything that is a distraction to our ability to hear, understand and see what is said shortens our attention span considerably and makes it harder to understand what is being said/sung.

The bodymics BE4V, BED4V or DE3V Easy-fit deign has sold over 10,000 pieces in the last few years and is a favorite for many schools and community theatres. It is comfortable, easier to get a stable fit and sounds pretty good. Downside is that the boom - virtually unbreakable - is about twice the diameter as a Countryman, dpa or our BE4 and E3 wire frame earsets.

We offer a guaranteed money-back trial - so you can see if one works for you, and if not, simpoly return for a full refund.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back