Building a fence that can withstand heavy side loading

Honestly Tim I think you'd be further ahead if you hustled on down the local " Farm and Ranch" store, or CO-OP and picked up regular old modular chute fencing like in the picture above. Aluminum is expensive, it's nasty to work with and it's toxic as Hell when you're welding it. The amount of time, money, and labor invested in a custom aluminum fence, you could probably have twice as much standard modular fencing. As a matter of fact I think in the last flyer I got from Coastal Farm and Ranch they were having a sale on that stuff.

" Well I've rustled some cattle,
and tended some sheep,
But my Main concerns been
Rappin' to the beat,
Dah-ha, dah-ha, Dah ha-ha,
ha-ah-ha."
- Rappin' Duke
:mrgreen:

i was thinking the same thing as far as cattle rubbing against the fence. This is for a permanent chute. I know once i take the actual chute off the trailer its not going any where any time soon. I am in the process of rebuilding it an powder coating it. I was thinking if i got some really think aluminum pipe then i could probably make a good fence, but i am able to get some 21' sticks of 2" square tubing for around 20 bucks a stick and 1" square tubing for around 10 bucks a stick, so aluminum would be hard to beat that, especially since i can blast and powder coat. As far as just buying fence the stuff from tractor supply is worthless. It only lasts several years before it begins to fall apart.

Why coat the alumimum - after all, it is corrosion resistant? (or is there an aesthetic issue.)

Is that aluminum tubing or pipe? I'm guessing, but I can't imagine that tubing has the strength to hold up to a large animal like a cow.

Joe

Last edited:
Why coat the alumimum - after all, it is corrosion resistant? (or is there an aesthetic issue.)

Is that aluminum tubing or pipe? I'm guessing, but I can't imagine that tubing has the strength to hold up to a large animal like a cow.

Joe

Aluminum may not be as prone to corrosion as steel, but it still oxidizes. It simply is not as obvious as rust since aluminum oxide is white as opposed to, well, rust colored.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back