Installs building a new sound system for a theatre

So the 6.5mm jacks *shudder* on these subs are going to be wired in parallel. They are either input or loop depending on what cable is connected.

Behringer... There was a case a couple of years back where I think it was Mackie included a completely useless section on the PCB of their product. Behringer copied that directly, including the useless bit... Their business model seems to involve letting everyone else do the R&D and then makming a cheaper (lower quality) copy.

They, like many players at the lower end of the market, also tend to use a single PCB ih their mixers etc. This makes them frightfully painful to troubleshoot and also means that you have greater mechanical stress placed on the board by people pushing on the pots etc than you do with the card approach used in higher quality consoles. You'll also find that the cheap end of the spectrum uses lower quality connectors etc and they are made to looser tolerances and so you can get intermittent connection issues or connectors failing much more quickly than on a quality product...

Basically they are beyond economical repair the moment they break. They are notorious for dry jointing and so the moment that happens you are up to reflow every solder joint on the board at which point the labour will write the board off for you...

I understand that some people believe that cheap gear will do them for the job. I however tend to work on the theory of doing it properly so I only have to do it once...

Then again, my background involves lots of UPS and redundancy to some degree being the norm, occasionally to the extent of COMPLETELY redundant systems bar the individual amps and arrays.

It sounds (no pun) as though someone PREVIOUS to Alex, hire a so-called professional, someone who did not know enough or was in cahoots with whoever hired them, to install a system that might have great potential and yet there is NO one there now that knows what they have or how to use it.

This is tragic for this, I think, institution for people of special needs. As in, there has been a waste of funds about to be followed by yet another.

Hopefully, an honest, competent consultant will become involved and offer a proper and fiscally prudent solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back