building a resume

Calling someone's current employer for a reference is a silly idea from the HR end of things IMHO. If their current employer doesn't want to keep the person around, the easiest way to get rid of them is to let them walk. They'll gladly provide a good reference if you'll take away their problem. The previous employer and the one before that, on the other hand do not have this context when you call. Me personally, I'm not going to waste my time calling references until after I've had a face to face with the person.

bdesmond said:
Calling someone's current employer for a reference is a silly idea from the HR end of things IMHO.

Yes...and yet I have seen it done to about a dozen people over the years..some because they stupidly listed their current employer in their refernce sheets.. Some were just called in a general inquiry by HR idiots pushing paper.. It happens..stupidity or not--your dealing with people and many people are stupid...it happens...

Many folks fish around for other jobs while employed, looking for better $$$ or benefits or whatever, even tho they may be OK with thier current employer... Grass is always greener sorta thing I guess..

-w

I apprciate all your help and with this i am going to remove my resume so i can make the changes but lets keep the topic going so we can help others with there resumes thanks for the help again.

JH

Advice if of any help:
Under Producer you have three shows of the same title, yet it’s three separate lines.
As someone looking at your resume, I would see this as something given the same show as something you are attempting to bulk up your resume with or making it seem as if you have done more shows as producer than you in some sense have. While it might have been different in job requirements, since it is the same show and under the same period of time, it is in the end the same show.

This given it’s the same show, producer is now a single show thus either only one line not stated or one line that’s stated but less emphisized.

At start again, I hope in being a little harsh it would seem in reply on what you so far present of yourself on a resume, is of use in my having read many people’s resume’s and hired people from them, having read on stagecraft other people’s thoughts on the subject I agree with, and in having my own that God forbid I will never again have to update.

Think more of what you have so far more as a starting platform than any emotional relationship to it. If important but what I reply to as misunderstood, it than should be less of defense your thoughts, than perhaps a mis-conception of what I’m reading out of what in general is presented of you. In other words, given I don’t understand what you intend thus would modify what you show, it might be some point to refine in your own showing of it.

Getting back to the resume itself, one wonders given your varying experiences what job you are replying for. One should have more than just a in-general resume. If going for producer, it in being first should be emphasized, but if going for props person, than Producer would be less important. Taylor your resume for the position you seed in what those reading it will most wish to read as to the job you apply for.

Director:
In giving a date, you even if “current” need to state it’s duration. In the one show cited - given it’s not presented as a Broadway production, one would also state the theater it’s presented at. In 1999, where was this show done? Given it’s also the only directing show to your credit, it’s presentatation while necessary or good to note might not also be so important to be the 5th thing you present.

Technical Director:
Officially, or in a classic sense the Technical Director is someone that serves the theater he or she works for with many shows in that space for a duration of time. The Technical Director is commonly more devoted to the space and shows it produces first than any specific citing of shows within it. As Technical Director in citing these six shows, what is this or these locations you cite the shows were presented at? What scale of theater you TD at is important to present. Big difference between “The Crucible” in high school than again presented on Broadway. Such a influence you had as TD on the show in more than a Master Carpenter/Set Decorator type of way is important when it comes to considering you for a job.

For show credits - designer/director/producer/actor, where or what sense of involvement (tour, what theater etc.) that role was is important, for TD, it’s less a role. This role as TD is assumed to be the TD for the space and or production company and not individual show. In this case it would be the duration of time in location or for production company and not the shows individually your role in was more mechanical than design/art. Perhaps citing the shows if not numerous, but less on their own lines as if they were shows cited your role in was more of great artistic noteworthyness beyond hard work done you will have done so for in any other show.

TD role is not per say the art part of it, it’s more the mechanical sense of it. You thus cite a production company or theater serving that separate role in for duration, and not the shows individually supervised. It’s already assumed you have in that role supervised the shows done in the space. Citing a limited amount of shows worked on as TD makes it seem as if less experience as a TD than just stating the length of time you had a role in the show. Given pre-production, you both are making it in citing shows involved in seem as if less than experienced as a TD, and laminating that emphases of from 2002 to 2005 you have been doing the TD job.

Much better to say state something like May 2002 - June 2002 ....X Theater, “The Crucible”
May 2003 - June 2003 ...X Theater, “The Larmie Project”, etc until 2005 where you show a good duration of time as TD for this theater or production company so far and some day can forget the other shows and earlier dates given this eight month duration so far and current status as TD.

The TD job is one more centered around the space and duration of time you spend representing that space. Thus your 2005 info is of use in having - in theory more so than just for three shows, been eight months so far the TD of that theater/production company. Not a huge amount of time in grade thus the use of earlier show credits but not in other shows keepers for the resume for the most part. As a TD you want to know where and for how long more than anything else.

Set Designer:
Ok, this just threw your resume for me in the trash can. While it did make me give a second look to it, it was only to out of curiosity see if you also cite the same shows as director and producer as that of TD and Set Designer. Yep in some cases. That’s a really really bad thing. That interest in you only to find why I was looking for an error, does in no way mean interest as if small fish in throwing you back once caught until such a time you grow as a fish. Certainly nobody I would hire.

One, here you only have experience it would seem so far as I read it and reply with six shows, and on those six shows you produced, designed and TD’d them so far. If doing a pro job, you don’t have time to do all. Much less it’s not safe on a professional level to both design and be the safety certification on that same show you design. That so far this is about a half page devoted to only six shows at an unknown location, but way too much involvement with them throws a major red flag up. First this involvement you cite all inclusive as suspicious in having done the job professionally, and second that you have devoted so much space foremost on your resume to only six shows of experience in making such experience in the industry seem larger but in reality it not being much. (Remember that this reply is meant to cite what you post for resume in reading as per perspective employer and not to cut you down or belittle you.)

Lighting Desinger:
Yep, still the same shows. This is a really really bad thing in being the all in one person now thus for a small show. Unless you are applying for similar small shows, your credits so far don’t equate, instead you have limited yourself and shown the small scale of them. Are these high school productions on some Gymatorum stage? One given only repeted dates and shows does not know in taking credit for what professional experience but by far too involved with the same show, and no theater or true role cited.

Much less you just broke the second page rule. Very important that if you break this second page rule that you have some very good reason to make your resume a second page. I’m busy. If you are taking up a few inches each page but just citing the same shows, and repeating them for un-known production company or theater for each place, yet by now two pages of the same six or now a few more shows, I will have in interest in you long since by the second page stopped reading.

Lighting Operator:
Never affiliate yourself with a show as a lighting operator unless on the major touring/production level. If paid as 9:5 it’s paid by the tour or by the theater but no artistic involvement in the production. As if TD, the light board operator is paid staff. Time in grade where you spend it is more important than you have worked all of five shows on some un-known light board. If light board tech, in calling it on your resume, instead you might wish to as TD state time in grade and a list of light boards you are qualified to operate. Was Catch 23 on a six channel one scene pre-set or a say MAXXYZ with wing? As a light board operator, it is by far more valuable to know how much time in grade and what you are qualified to be using than in taking design credit for shows involved with. Otherwise what are you in citing shows as a light board operator - given general term Light Operator does not mean gel puller or par can pusher to new focus, or follow spot operator. But assuming as not presented light board operator, you have to chose in your resume, can you only operate an assumed light board for those five shows you present or can you do it for any number of specific light boards for any show given to you. How many years have you operated this unknown light board? This is a resume in telling what experience you have. Unless design credits for a specific location’s show at a certain date, otherwise it’s what you were using and how long in grade with it.

For experience in having read so far on the second page, and now a qualification for “lighting operator” still not noticing if it’s someone qualified to stage brace a gel out of a fixture or someone qualified on the vision as opposed to a two scene preset, one still can’t see any rating and gauging you seek to present if you can run the Hog III say I have to consider at least you for in the future. One must admit that there if un-listed as light operator what you can operate on a master level some amount of learning curve that if not stated won’t get you hired in calling your certification as operator but only for five plays of a specific year that ability you credit yourself to. This beyond it the same plays that does not look good.

Automated Lighting:
Same thing, we now know a few shows you worked with anything from calling an American DJ thing to a Mac 700 automated. The Tick we note you did not design/operate/TD. A question is especially on this show, did you work as the moving light tech or work on a show that was using these lights but had limited roll in their use?

Being in a show using moving lights has much less importance than as the “Moving Light Tech. Person” for those shows if your exclusive role in them. Were you the one to troubleshoot, change the patterns and clean the gears of such moving lights or were you simply in shows where moving lights were used? Did you change some PC card in them as your role as master of moving light fixtures or was your role in working on shows that used them? Addressing them is not much a credit. “Automated Lighting” short of what you have as with light board, limited value.

Time for me and in some way for us to stop on this resume. Six pages is 2/3 way worse than even I in my long form writing ever presented. Two pages for a resume. I see in your theater both how you can simplify and how you can emphasize some things for time in grade, while still during that same time take design credits for it. While not specifically honest, in presenting dates and durations, plus gear and where, you can make it separate from productions you can claim design credit to accurately given a need to include them as more than just background text.

The next few pages of your resume sound very good and extensive. You seem to have experience and training/background, too bad as of early in the first page it was crap canned by the perspective reader with three minutes to read it.

Much editing TBA, and you don’t need much of what you presented for theater in it’s long format. Two page rule. Stuff like “Second City 2001 to August 5 2004, Toronto, classes in improve, Completed the Teen Training program and the Adult Training program,
Instructors: Albert Howl, Brian Smith, Carolyn Meehan, Dave Pearce, David Talbot, Doug Morency, Jenny Parsons, Kate Ashby, Kathryn Haggis, Kerry Griffin, Lee Smart and Rochelle Wilson” Does this all need to be mentioned in your workshop/seminars?

I recognize perhaps a few names in also being local, but so what. Instead perhaps something like “Second City - Toronto, Classes in Improve” 2001-2004. This might be a more better statement of special training. Those that know what Second City is, and what “Classes in Improve” does for you will as a more simple citing of credit know it’s use. Otherwise, if we don’t know of it’s name and value, wasting seven lines of text is a waste of my time as a reader of your resume.

Get the idea here? Also that I’m using capital letters for proper titles and names. Bad Karma on a resume not to be using capital letters to something specific such as “classes in improve.”

Look to punctuation, capitulation, simplification, and most important editing to the field you most wish to pursue. Should you wish to be a camera operator, leading off in the first page with theater producer experience when applying for camera operator experience is a no go with me in hiring you.

Finally on “Equipment I have used:”
“I have used” means no mastery level. I have used means you when told to push some button on a Fat Frog you can, but does not mean you can sit down and program cues on the go. Nor does this mean you can clean the tubes to or trouble shoot a Neutron Hazer. Stuff like LeMatrie Pyro Hardware and Product and Luna Tech Pyropak Hardware and Product means nothing to me. Do you have some form of pyro certification to speak of or did you unload a truck with such gear on it? Get the concept here? While you might have done some form of A/B mixing, citing use of “product” unknown product at that, much less certification of use in it is useless in applying for a job. This is all beyond choice of words of “Equipment I have used:” as poor choice and armature. What one uses once under direction for a moment is by far different than what on a professional level what can claim experience to on a master level.

Instead your pyro experience is trumped by the later Canada Explosives Certification. Think that’s somewhat important in but slightly stating your official capacity skills. Why is it on page 6? If going for a pyro job, you thing anyone cares about page one so far? If going for TD, this will help a perspective employer over that of directing credits. Your Awards section as better stated Awards/Certifications: would be best on the first page somewhere in making you stand out above others right at the bat - even if only applying for a lighting job. “Hey, this is the Pyro Cert. Guy” I’m interviewing with” that gets you in the door in having the aptitude to qualify for one thing already. Also is of interest in the interview. As stated before, I in my own resume had as second line after necessary data my goals. Those were “To become a world famous designer - not likely, or Grumpy Old Man of the Theater.” As goal and something to remember you by, this was commented on everywhere I applied in interviewer remembering at least this about me that makes me stand out. If five minutes before I interview you, all I read is the first and part of the second page of your own resume, all I thus see is but five shows where you were all the person in getting the show done but it being a one man show thus not much to speak of. “Goals, What you want to blow up, I’ll make it happen safely.” Something might be of interest to speak of with you. Can you hear me that this resume is other than some list? It’s a goal log in tracking your career so far. Dependant upon how numerous - you might no longer even have to list specific shows you worked on. You apply for director position, you don’t have the same format for resume as that of applying for camera man position. Even if you can simplify it down to one page, and put references on one request(give E-Mail addresses to them) but one line for each on the second/last page. Only include a second page if necessary. It might or might not be looked at thus it’s only for supplemental information. Those of serious consideration for a job if I’m other than desperate will be contacted. Those in addition to phone I can easily contact will be much more in consideration than those references that I leave voice mail to but don’t call back. Much less and especially are surprised that they are a reference. Those on your resume do know they are as such do they not?

It’s your resume. Put first what is important that for which you apply. Bet you can easily make this a at most two page resume instead of six. Your cover letter (paragraph or at most two - also refined for the place you apply) can further refine it no doubt down to one and a half pages.

While I no longer need a resume should I at some point get fired to get a job just as good, nor have to hire any longer, resumes are still of interest to me. I hope it’s useful these comments to you and all. Intent was not to mock your statements, only to cite what as person that has read such things in the past and has my own resume format and style, do cite some psychological things about yours that are problematic should I be on the market to hire you. I hope you find the criticism above of use.

Good to see in my absence as the master of “in depth” -way too many words that others have also helped in depth in otherwise providing lots of info but unfortunate to those intimidated it would seem killing off the conversation. Intent is to help by depth of what is stated even if over the normal “yea, that’s cool type reply.” Instead it’s a very detailed intent to help that will help hopefully. This is both a topic that is artistic in design all have equal recommendation to, and one that is important in study to get the job over that of amature.

On my first interview with the lighting company I now work for I took a few things with me. First was that portfolio - all perfectly inked drawings to show drafting ability and some art - Hmm, they are Wisiwig etc for drafting, but very nice drafting, much less in that the person that controlled hiring did not understand design or drafting sufficiently, what was presented was useless and only school like in armature for him. This no matter the skill level of manually drafting in ink drawings, or what was presented by way of design or professional credits for design.

Second was some toys or what I invented. Plug that totally random strobe in and it worked flawlessly. Such gear I presented while home made and not up to the level of the place I applied yet in having money for either professional gear doing about the same thing or in materials in budget did not impress per say either, but had more of a role in the interview than the portfolio or resume. It in many ways like the resume and cover letter that was made out for “topic of interest” beyond stated qualifications was topic of why I was hired. Sure, I could have stated a long list of shows, instead it was more those physical parts about me that made me stand out in resume and important toys for the job during interview witch stood out. Create info needed for the call back, and interest during the interview in that resume and cover letter for whey they should consider you. Secondary or not important is shows worked as long as what scale you worked them at is conveyed for tech. For designer, it is art and type of show experienced with. However as opposed to others, you don’t present in any way a depth of shows to me.

This was after I got my foot in the door. Expect that after say 50 resumes sent out with cover letters. The resume taylored to the specific company and resumy to the field applied for, you will get at best 10% response and interview over say the next few months asking you to interview with them.

As with Wolf and others such as I, it's also who you know after time. A resume will sweeten the deal but a automatic hire is those known of quantity. As stated, should I loose my job, I expect to have a new job within 24 hours that without the resume or portfolio. This in not stepping on toes is a good thing in the industry. After that comes the resume and cover letter by those not known.

Intent of both is to let the employeer salivate on your resume and qualifations as presented, than fight over getting you. Is this not the intent? Given this, edit the heck out of your six pages. Good start so far, needs lots of editing.

Thanks ship,

The TD stuff was for a specific theatre. The Dave Philips Studio theatre.

The producer issue, they are not the same show in reality they are differnt production companies to reduce the limited liabilty, they are not in the same time line. one is off broadway in new york in late march of 2005, one is in toronto early january of 2005, and the other is in montreal for a festival in 2006 all produced by me and others but how is this information displayed wrongly? two of the shows are completed and one is about to be completed as its in preproduction? what would you say?

Now for time line issues how do you for instance when you design a show, and it takes a week lets say how do you put a time line on that? As well sometimes i work on 3 shows at once if im just designing them how do you offciate a timeline with out it looking like you have lied about two shows?

All of the moving light shows but for example Tick Tick boom !!! I was brought in to program not to design they had a designer to program there moving lights for the show? how else would you describe this process. I wansnt the opp i was brought in for 2 days to program. but to me this is one of my bigger credits as it is the candian premire of a jonathan larson musical.

For equipment used how would you say this statement, the reason i use this termanology is because i once was at a USITT convention and i had a few of the people look at it. and the disney crusie people said you need to add a section that says "Equipment i have used" so i took it literaly. what would you say? Everything on that list is gear i have used (Use on a daily bases, Own, or have had training on and used it once or twice) nothing on there is something that i couldnt operate instantly with out glancing at the manual everything on there i can operate with my eyes closed, I am not a repair tech i can service gear but i can not for instance offcialy fix a fat frog or nor want to. and i do not claim to i can trouble shoot gear and almost all of the above listed i can. so should i not have this list?

Pyro, i use quite offten not as offten as i like. but you think it should be at the top of the resume? Also when i move to california it will not be valid there but it still is in canada should i remove it? or leave it as a nother point

as for the improv training i do agree like i said this is a first draft it has everything in it and needs to be reduced. and now that im leaving canada none of these names will be recognized anyway.

And yes i hope to get a version of this that is 4 pages long with my differrnt skills so when i apply for a specific job i can just take out the key parts of the 4 pages so it becomes 1 page. For example always keeping education and taking the design portion for a design job. or the film section and education for a film or tv job.

I am not applying for jobs that last long periods of time i dont want to work for a rentle house although its going to happen grrrr lol. so these are jobs that last a month or two so haveing varitey between film telivision rock theatre and dance are not the worst things in my mind but what do you think?

Every single pice of work i have ever done that you see on my resume has been through word of mouth and contacts. I have never submitted a reuseme i have always had one (the one you see now) but i am moving to california in september for school and i hope that by second or third year i will be able to apply for jobs out there. and i will need a resume becuause how else will i work no one knows me i dont know them. so you see i lose all my contacts when i move i will make new ones but it is hard. thats why i have asked for your help.

Thanks
JH

The pyro certification should be included and I would include this under qualifications (include the license number and nay different categories held) and if applying for a pyro job, then the relevant training details should be included in education.

Also include the levels of certification (if applicable). For example, I hold both unrestricted theatrical and unrestricted fireworks.

The equipment I have used statement (I agree with ship in his discussion about the wording) could be incorporated into your skills section.

For example, you may say that you have skills in intelligent lighting programming. Qualify this statement by saying that you have extensive experience with x, y and z consoles etc

This leads me on to my question:

Are Selection Criteria used in the US/Canada?

Selection Criteria are produced by the nice people in HR and is a summary of the skills and attributes that the successful applicant should posses. Often broken into Essential and Desirable and usually a single page in length.

When applying for a position, you are required to submit a covering letter, a resume and to address the selection criteria (in three pages or less).

In addressing the selection criteria, you must demonstrate that you meet their expectations and are required to give examples (where necessary).

Thus, if an essential criterion were "Qualification in the use of theatrical pyrotechnics" I would address this as follows:

I hold a Western Australian Pyrotechnics Operators Licence (Number xxxxxxx) for the categories of Unrestricted Theatrical and Unrestricted Fireworks. I completed the Prodesign Pyrotechnics Training Course for theatrical pyrotechnics in February 1997 and since my training, I have worked on extensively on local and national displays. I have enclosed a copy of my pyrotechnics portfolio, which contains the details of these shows.

It is a great way for the employer to ensure that the person applying meets the job description. It also gives a little insight into the written communication skills that the applicant possesses.

Also – here it is illegal for an interviewer to ask you a question that does not directly relate to the selection criteria/job description.

Seeing as i have never had to interview for ajob in my life as most work i have recived has been thorugh word of mouth and such i can not speak to an interviewer not being allowed to ask certain questions other then the relevent specs.

but i have recived letters of people looking for people they usualy list a few requirements such as - are you able to drive, do you own a car. are you willing to move.

things such as that.

JH

Producer issues - you noting “different production companies”, and different locations makes a huge difference in understanding why it’s three unique shows. Now you no doubt see the difference in presentation, just how to format giving more info.

When you design a show, your time starts when you either first read the script or at the first production meeting thru opening or closing night. April-June 1999 for instance. Dependant upon your system of tracking the show credit. Could also say Fall 1999 for instance.

Moving Light Programmer: Canadian Premier, x Musical at x Theater, June 1999. That’s something like I would title and phrase it. (Not sure how well this font/text will translate.) (Did not translate the same but for the most part ok. Phone numbers were removed and it's pre-Email in resume. E-Mail is much more valuable.

Technical Director June 1993 to August 1996
Transient Theater Out Of Business
Supervision of The Design, Construction and Installation of all Shows in a Season; Building Improvement and Maintenance; Replenishment of Stock, and Maintenance of all equipment; Technical Instruction and Training of All Personal; And At Least Once a Year Set and Lighting Design Out of a Six to Eight Show Season.

Or

Technical Director and Designer Fall 93 to Fall 96
Transient Theatre Chicago Il.
Job: Management of all technical aspects and people in a two stage store front theater. Specking out of and Construction of all shows in a season, Maintenance and upgrade of the building, all of its equipment, and purchase or getting of more. Design of a set or lights for few shows per season, re-design and re-build of the entire space in an effort to bring it up to code and more user friendly.
[Design, Technical Direction, Electrical, Carpentry, Rigging, Metal Working, Mgt.]

Might just do a list in column form of the various gear you have experience with. There is different ways to present stuff such as follows:

On the Job Training
Pneumatic & Hydraulic Lift Mechanisms
Rigging - Fly and Other Types Including Winch
Metal Stock, Parts Fabrication
Power Tool Repair
Lighting Equipment Repair and Fabrication
Electrical Wiring and Chicago Electrical Code
Archive Quality Blueprint Inking
Theatrical and Architectural Design
Blueline Takeoffs, and Special Order Quotes
Repelling and Hell Hole, Controlled Ascents
Carpentry, Scenic and Construction
Veneering, Cabinetry, and Fine Woodworking
Vision, Light Pallet III, Kliegl Performer, & all Two Scene Preset Lighting Boards
Intellibeam, Color Scroller, and Fiber Optics
Small Arms & Weapons of Mass Destruction
Building and Electrical Maintenance
Condor, Generator and Truck Operations
Accusation of Donated, Found, or Loaned Materials and Equipment.

Classes
Engineering Drawing II
Architecture 12
Building Materials of Architecture
Intro to Auto CADD
Technical Procedures in Design
Scenographic Techniques
Advanced Design
Advanced Projects in Design
Basic Lighting
Advanced Lighting
Stage Craft
Scene Painting
Plastics and Metals for the Theater
Milwaukee Power Tools Training Course
Forklift Operators Training Course
Interior Design
Life Drawing
Art Survey
USITT Confrence - Firearms& Pyrotechnics
Jennifer Tipton Design Seminar at I.S.U.
Laser Lighting and Technology Seminar

Education and Awards
1994 Preform Inc.’s “Ten Designers to watch in the coming years.”
1993 Mary Shen Barnidge’s “Ship in a Bottle” award.
1990-1994 Illinois State University
Major: Theater Design and Production
Minor: Lighting Design
1989-1990 College of Du page
Major: Theatre
1987-1988 Elmhurst College
Major: Theater
Officer in: Theta Alpha Phi (honorary theater fraternity)
1986 Fort Sill - Field Artillery School
1986 United States Marine Corps - Boot Camp
1982-1986 York High School
Major: Architecture, (tied for #1 student, course rated in top ten in the state.)
Officer in: Thespians, (96 winner of Thespian Scholarship, only one ever given for tech)

Mind you, not the only examples or ways to do it. For instance it's taking the long form of job credits in showing what it was my duties were at the job, or even in the second one having a punch list of what my job was. Might not be necessary in all circumstances nor would such a thing work out in describing designer or even producer credits.

There is also a inverse format you can use that does shows done progressively in date, and position you held with the show - as if a time line for what you have been doing over the years.

Sping: "Hedda Gabbler" - poductc theater, Director
"Doll House" - theater next door, light board operator
"Wall Mart Grand Opening" - Hick Town, Small thing lighting company, Technition

Summer: "Media" - Podunct theater, Lighting Designer
"Odepedus" - Light Board Operator
"medium wedding" - pointy church, Small thing lighting company, technition.

This might be a different time line way of presenting your credits. It's much less organized but potentially could work if only a short time in the industry.

As said, there is lots of ways to present your info. I'm thinking for some info such as ability to operate a hog, unless you went to specialized training in it it does not need a date to it. On the other hand if you went to some form of Hog school than it might or might not be good to include a date to it. You don't need a location for this.

For jobs, it needs job title, where and approximate date if not contact information and job description both of which can be just as acceptable not to present dependant upon format. If you have had a lot of jobs and positions it might be good to leave out a lot of them or be less specific about the temp jobs. Or if temp jobs were for a basic company, listing working for that company with the temp jobs following it. Such a company organizing your temp jobs might be titled free lance with a date of say 1999 - present, than listing the various shows, date, where and what position for each.

Play around with different formats. Look at as many resumes as you can to get some ideas of how others present their information. Lots of styles out there. I for instance would have a very much different format than you would in that most of my jobs are long term jobs for a specific company.

Hey,
I was bored today, so I decided it would be a good idea to turn the big Microsoft table of my work into a nice resume.

This is my first try that I banged out in about half an hour, so what do you think?

www.zacphotos.com/resume.pdf

One thing that bothered me was that I didn't know what to put for me being an electrician. If you look it says "Theater Electrician (not certified)". I want a way to say that I am an electrician, but I am by no means a real certified electrician who could do anything with real power.

How should I phrase that?

And how does it read? I went for a simple design, not a lot happening, but it is (hopefully) easy on the eyes.

Hi Zac - I thought that it was easy to read. 2 comments:

1: This is not easy to understand "On over hire crew for WPPAC and HHTCO for load ins and load outs" The On over hire part especially.

2: With your other skills list. Try to be a bit more positive and give some examples. The "can" statements need to be re-worded. I can doesn't indicate any level of skill. Also, the computer related one should also give an indication as to you level of competence.

With regards to the theatre electrician question, I am not sure. Have you worked on any shows in this capacity? If not, perhaps a "competent in theatrical electrics" might be a better option. However, I am fishing on this one, as here, if you do lights it is expected that you know how to wire them up and balance your loads etc.

Also - this is obviously written for a theatre related job in mind. Is it a safe assumption that they would know what Theatre Electrician entails?

Remember that you want to encourage them to contact you for further information, so you want to say enough but not too much.

Nice work.

Theatre electrician? Do you mean master electrician? if you do to use the term electrican you must be a certified electrician if your not you do not use this word.

if what your doing is installing cam tails in to a disconnect thats not work you should be doing unless your a certified electricain the work is not coverd by any insurance policy even for a temporary situation.

but if you are doing things such as wireing plugs that is not being an electrician its just wireing a plug everyone working in the industry should be able to do that.

so if your not certified i wouldnt even mention it. but if you are then call your self an electrican.

jh

Good that you have it all one page, I might provide contact information to those locations you have worked shows at in case the employeer wants to ask about you.

Is that a phone number under your name? Normally you would not use dots between prefixes. Also these days one would note if home (h) or cell.

If still in school, you might after present list in partisenticies the graduation date so the perspective employeer does not have to add and remember to also add a half year in knowing when you graduate.

Again good that you are one page, but I might still since you are new to the industry add a references page both between employeers and adults/teachers as references on a second page. Your resume in hiring will probably necessitate further study into you by the perspective employeer.

Well done however.

jonhirsh said:
Theatre electrician? Do you mean master electrician? if you do to use the term electrican you must be a certified electrician if your not you do not use this word.

I mean I hang and focus lights, trouble shoot broken equptment, things of that nature. I have always used and heard "electircs call" and "electrics" for lighting, so I am not quite sure how to write that.

being able to hang, focus and fix gear is not being an electrcian, you can say you have experiance in theatrical rigging if you do other wise you are really just a lighitng tech.

when you are certified you can call your self an master electrician

Master Electrician's test is this Spring. Until than, nobody including myself is a ME by way of certification. On the other hand, this is a normal title for jobs and calls as that head of crew and head of how it's wired normal in theater and a official capacity for a production person many fill.

I would think such a title is never confused with that of a locally licenced Master Electrician that works for a architectual electrical installation company as the head supervisor of all electricians given it's seperate types of places the resume is sent to. A ME for a architecture electrical install firm is going to scratch scratch his head about DMX just as much as the theater person when it comes tyeps of fire stop materials used between floors.

While such a title is easily abused, a crew of two people in a theater where it's just plugging in stuff and running extension cords might not be all that much in depth, but is still in some sense that ME or person in charged.

For this reason you on the resume credit where you were the ME. Once it's linked where you were the ME, I don't think there would be any problems or confusion.

Hmm, ME at hole in the wall theater, or ME at Huge Sky Scraper Electric Company etc.

I think it could be confused if you arnt certified as an electrcian you can not install powerdrops or cam tails in to a disconnect, we do it all the time but its not leagal. and the reason we get away with it is because we give our selfs fancy titles and people belive them.

In every theatre i have been at the ME was always certified and was the only one who could do power drops and cam tails all the rest was done by the techs,

JH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back