Building and rigging the best YouTube set

In terms of the light output, since you have one of the lights you're thinking about at your disposal presently, run some test footage and see what sort of camera settings you're getting. Half the luminous flux would correspond to a one stop difference in the required camera settings--either halving the shutter speed, or opening the diaphragm up a stop, or doubling the ISO value used (or some combination of such things). If, for instance, you find that you already have to stop down the lens a lot and you'd prefer to have less depth of field, then less light would hardly be a disadvantage. On the other hand, if your lens diaphragm is already fully open and the shutter speed down around the frame rate and the ISO is high (leading to noisy video), more light would definitely be advantageous.

Needless to say, you can dim lights if they emit too much at full brightness. It's also possible to put an ND filter on the camera to cut down on excess light. Also more lights does mean more flexability in arranging and focusing them, and more time and effort required for that very reason.
Thanks,
I am using a camera with two native ISO one at 400 and one at 1250.
I did indeed stop down and could easily use ISO 400 if I open my lens. I do want high depth of field in the wide shot and low depth of field in the close up shot. So there I am using an ND filter.
Will experiment a bit more. I also got a demo Dedo 650 tungsten. Unfortunately I didn’t get my Rosco color correct gels yet.
It’s a bit overwhelming😫

Thanks,
I am using a camera with two native ISO one at 400 and one at 1250.
I did indeed stop down and could easily use ISO 400 if I open my lens. I do want high depth of field in the wide shot and low depth of field in the close up shot. So there I am using an ND filter.
Will experiment a bit more. I also got a demo Dedo 650 tungsten. Unfortunately I didn’t get my Rosco color correct gels yet.
It’s a bit overwhelming😫

Just don't go all Johnny Depp on us!

So is this for the Pirate's Den Daily podcast? A "message from the Captain"? Any walking of the gang plank? All leading up to:

Sept 19, 2020 is International Talk Like A Pirate Day. The honor of your participation in greatly anticipated. Arrrrggggg!

Wondering about these photo angles. Are these the angles you're planning on shooting your youtube show at? I assumed you'd be sitting at the desk and talking.
Even though these photos look super cinematic and fun, if you're doing trial and error to figure out lighting for your youtube show, these aren't super useful test angles.

The balance between front and backlight is very important. I would recommend setting up and testing your key lighting first, then fill, then accents.

Also wondering about this light being located outside. Are you only planning on filming at night and need the fake sunlight? If so, you might be more interested in looking at home improvement type outdoor lighting since it'll be easier to set and forget with an indoor switch than have to drag a light outside every time you want to shoot.

Setting your color temperature at 10,000 seems wrong. 10000k is like the color of the open sky when you're in the stratosphere. So very blue.
You have blackmagic cameras right? As far as color grading - doing the fine tweaks to your camera, look at the blackmagic ATEM mini, the cheapest blackmagic switcher, which allows shading to be done remotely from your mac, but controlling fine color adjustments in the camera.

Wondering about these photo angles. Are these the angles you're planning on shooting your youtube show at? I assumed you'd be sitting at the desk and talking.
Even though these photos look super cinematic and fun, if you're doing trial and error to figure out lighting for your youtube show, these aren't super useful test angles.

The balance between front and backlight is very important. I would recommend setting up and testing your key lighting first, then fill, then accents.

Also wondering about this light being located outside. Are you only planning on filming at night and need the fake sunlight? If so, you might be more interested in looking at home improvement type outdoor lighting since it'll be easier to set and forget with an indoor switch than have to drag a light outside every time you want to shoot.

Setting your color temperature at 10,000 seems wrong. 10000k is like the color of the open sky when you're in the stratosphere. So very blue.
You have blackmagic cameras right? As far as color grading - doing the fine tweaks to your camera, look at the blackmagic ATEM mini, the cheapest blackmagic switcher, which allows shading to be done remotely from your mac, but controlling fine color adjustments in the camera.

yes Macsound, I am still trying to find the best angles. It’s tricky as I want to have 2-3 angles with the light working in all of them. Plus because I don’t want to put my monitor on the desk I was thinking to have the voodoo corner where I would go to show stuff on the PC. In the future I want to use DMX to change the light-states.
That being said, since I am new to this I also want to experiment with different layouts and lighting.

here another one:
Finally started the use of Gels, although only got one Rosco cc kit. This stuff is pricey!
the bottom is the original , the top is an overpaint with stuff yet to be build.
C5156277-14CA-473A-BEE7-749BA261AFA3.jpeg

I start to feel happy with this. This could be a candidate. My close up shot works pretty well with this light set up too. I did not wear a shirt so I hesitated to post it :)
E6B98E73-8F12-4059-B57D-5144C4B02280.png

for the close up shop I wanted the spotlight behind me which is then visible in the wide shot. I am thinking how explain it. Perhaps a hole in the ship’s hull ( also painted more light leaks on the ceiling ) Might be a little to strong in this photo.

You need a parrot somewhere in the room. There is a cliche to maintain!

The window wall looks good, lots of detail items (made me ask where the bird is). Perhaps a viewing of one of the many Pirates of the Caribbean® ride videos on YooToob for some further inspiration?

I don't know if you need to "explain" the shaft of daylight or not. The audience is already suspending their dis-belief.

You need a parrot somewhere in the room. There is a cliche to maintain!

The window wall looks good, lots of detail items (made me ask where the bird is). Perhaps a viewing of one of the many Pirates of the Caribbean® ride videos on YooToob for some further inspiration?

I don't know if you need to "explain" the shaft of daylight or not. The audience is already suspending their dis-belief.

haha, aye matey,

Yeah that parrot....
A friend of mine is making animal puppets which look super real. I might ask her. But the. I also need a cage which are not easy to cheaply come buy here in Japan. Already had bought some sticks to try and make one myself, but I kinda put that aside. I am definitely gonna add one later... and I know exactly what I want the parrot to say :)

Wondering if you've started making your youtube series. I'd be interested to see how it all turned out from the view of your youtube audience.
Thanks for your interest.
I am now working on the Patreon integration so that when someone becomes a Patreon my light situation will change. It’s a mix of Streamlabs OBS and DMX lights. I am using DasLight to control the lights with a midi pedal which is controlling the vocal sound effects at the same time. Unfortunately, for my main lights I went with non-DMX lights ( which I currently have to turn off with a remote controller) . Will upgrade them if the show becomes decently successful:) .

Also happy new year to all of you. You have been so helpful.

PS.: here was a little Christmas video I put together with some of the test footages I shot.
(Still struggling)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back