building your own clearcom/telex head set

I got mine built last night, so I will try it today and let you guys know how it went. Ill try and post a tutorial type thing but I don't know how good that will be.

On a female XLR connector (as used on a CC compatible headset), the "pins" looking at you, the numbers go clockwise from the upper right, so:
4--------1
---3--2---

On a male XLR connector (as for Telex/RTS), they go counter-clockwise.

If you look real closely, the numbers are molded right next to the pins on the connection side of the connector (ie, not the side with the solder cups).

--A

The numbers should be on the solder side as well - certainly all of the XLR connectors that we get are.

One guy i was talking to last night said that positive and negative didn't matter. But when I tried my headset today it didn't work. I know I put the wires in the right spot, just maybe got the positive and negative mixed up.

Is my friend right? Positive and Negative don't matter? Or did I screw up somewhere else?

I think they do matter, because the box for the headset is expecting the inputs on a certain channel so if you switch that, it won't be looking to the right spot. It may not matter it seems on a 3-Pin XLR where if you look it up and its just a peaker I believe or a mic there are more than 1 way that you can wire the ground and the hot, but it would seem that switching them where you have a mic and a headphone speaker would make a difference.

Box 1 is expecting voice in over pin 1 so it can send it out to box two over pin 3 but if the voice comes in over pin 2 it sitts there waiting for it to come in and nothing happens. Ask your friend specifically what type of wire he means.

~Nick

As mentioned abouv it could need an additional power supply for a portion of it. with the speaker it should not matter positive or negative, but with the mic it might

You may have the mic/speaker wired around the wrong way, which will certainly cause problems. Either that or the impedance is different between the headset and the com system

I was looking at my cr*py job of sodering and noticed one of the ground wires touching the live wire, wo with that said I am going to try my headset once more to see if it works.

I'm hoping that it will work.

That would be awesome, is there any chance you could take a picture of the internals of the plug or anything? Our headsets are wicked crappy and falling apart and my TD REALLY liked the idea of being able to build some new ones, but I want to have a clear idea of what I'm asking him to let me try before I propose taking home the headset and actually doing it to a new one.

~Nick

Good Idea. This is a more random question but how do you make the text where if you scroll over it, it shows you a question mark and will give you the deff of the word, it seems very usefull.

I'm trying to cut out having to order anything, and our headsets are seriously so shot to hell we have ones handing on the wall I don't even know why because the speaker plate is gone, mic is hanging, and you can't see or hear anything. plus then I've got extra cable and the plug, I just wonder how hard it will be to disconnect the old connections from the pins.

~Nick

some words are done automaticaly by the forum. if you have old headsets to be thrown out take the cord and cut it about 18 inches from the plug and just solder on your new plugs.

So your saying, *I'm on 5 hrs of sleep and 4 hrs of rehersal with noisy 8th gradaers* instead of actually re-wiring the plug it may be easier to simply cut the wire and cut the end off of the new headset and then solder the old wired to the new wired and then use tape or w/e over the connection?

~Nick

EDIT:
Just an afterthought, has anyone actually done this and gotten it to work yet?

you mentioned two 1/8 jacks. the headset i cut apart only had one w/ four wires in it....

I think I used the wrong headset. Ill try it again though just to make sure.

So would one of the computer headsets that has one pin work? Or am I scewed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back