building your own clearcom/telex head set

I think that the output isnt loud enough. I found two old telex beltpacks and daisy chained them together and powered them with a 24v power supply. The headset I made was a little on the low side compared to the telex headset.

I think adding this circuit to the design would maybe help:
proxy.php

Is there any easy way to add a knob to control / change gain like on a sound board? I would think that if you were using different headsets the gain might change. It would be nice to be able to change that.

Correct me if Im wrong

I think you got the right idea, but i am not good with electronic circuits so i cannot say how to do it. I'm sure it would make a little difference.

LX-88 said:
Is there any easy way to add a knob to control / change gain like on a sound board? I would think that if you were using different headsets the gain might change. It would be nice to be able to change that.

Correct me if Im wrong

Why not just use the clearcom pack volume control?

Hey, this may be a stupid question but I don't really do anything this complex for electronics. For our theatre we have a good set of working boxes and the fact that you need them makes me thing that this may be some other type of system. I can look it up once we go back and then ask some other stuff, but I just wanted to know, if all I wanted to do was replace the headset part which has the 4-Pin XLR on the end I could just make the 4-Pin XLR Cable to two female mini jacks just so that I could plug it into the working box correct?

~Nick

Hey All

For anyone who is having trouble understanding all the stuff about the circuit digrams and all that and the things about the pieces and parts, go check out the new post under general discussion called "Amazing Circuitry and Hardware Website". Read the post and it tells you where to look for explainations about it all. It helped me alot anyway.

~Nick

SketchyCroftPpl said:
Hey, this may be a stupid question but I don't really do anything this complex for electronics. For our theatre we have a good set of working boxes and the fact that you need them makes me thing that this may be some other type of system. I can look it up once we go back and then ask some other stuff, but I just wanted to know, if all I wanted to do was replace the headset part which has the 4-Pin XLR on the end I could just make the 4-Pin XLR Cable to two female mini jacks just so that I could plug it into the working box correct?

~Nick

This doesn't replace that box, but rather turns a computer headset into one that you can plug into the clear-com boxes. You have to power the mic to get it to work. The box in this thread contains the battery and circuitry to make the mic work.

On-Off switch is to turn power off you your not replacing batterys all the time. The mute switch im still a little fuzzy on, but I think it's purpose is to mute the mic if the person using the headset is too far away from the wall panel to reach it.

koncept said:
I think you got the right idea, but i am not good with electronic circuits so i cannot say how to do it. I'm sure it would make a little difference.

This is exactly what I want to achieve. I will try to assemble the circuit pictured above and add a gain control to it. It should work.

Any updates over the weekend?

How'd the test go Aaron?

do you have any ideas why it doesnt work?? I agree it does suck when that happens. But as always thanks for the update

I think the audio amp IC I'm using has too much gain, I emailed a friend with the problem, so we will see what he thinks.

Sorry to let you all down, this stuff is pretty frustrating! But I'll stick with it till I find a solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back