Buying Replacement Plano-Convex Lenses

pianoman

I need to find a source for new plano-convex lenses of the 6" diameter size. I actually want to put them in my old Kliegl 3355 (or maybe it's 3555) instruments, since the step lenses aren't working out quite as well. Anyone know of a source for these? I don't need the lens tube, just the lens. I'm fairly certain that someone out there would sell these, as they're one of two parts on an ERS that is most likely to break (the lamp being second).

Thanks,
Dan

Talk to your local dealer. Maybe an altman 6" lens would do nicely here. It might be something that you have to expierement with

First you need to find the focal length of these 6 inch step lenses. The belly side down - sunlight technique should work. Then again, I don't know how much divergence their is between a standard P/C and a step, but theoretically there shouldn't be much.

6 inch P/C lenses are pretty common items. Companies like KOPP glass make the majority of standard P/C lenses. If the focal length of your current 6 inch step lenses are standard, then it should work.

I would take it to the nearest theater dealer with a repair shop. They should be able to help you find something.

I did find Kliegl catalog pages with the specs for the 1355 fixtures I have with the two different lenses. I know the small angle is 19 degrees, can't remember the other offhand. My main reason for replacing these is just to get consistency and less rings in the light, which brings me to this question: what else can I do to get rid of the rings I get from these step lenses? Ship seems to think that they shouldn't be showing rings like they do in mine, and part of me does want to preserve these lights as they are. Any suggestions? I know I can adjust the lamp position, but I really doubt that's ever been messed with in the first place, so I don't know that it would necessarily be out of whack...

-Dan

Does frost help? Also, I believe Kliegl used to advertise the 'black risers' as a solution to the rings. So, maybe without those you get the rings.

By frost, I assume you mean diffusion gel...in that case, I have not tried it yet, but I have some I can try. I think I will try putting in the old lenses and seeing what it looks like, since all but one came out easily anyway I assume I can get them in and back out again if needed.

-Dan

Yes, I mean diffusion gel. Should I stop calling it frost....?

*Semantics Debate*

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back