By what have you been electrically shocked? (NOT electrocuted.)

Re: wat have you been electicuted by ?

110? You call that a shock?

220, 221, whatever works.

i jsut brought a shock lighter and that thing is strong. i got it yesterday and it didnt think it would be that strong. ive gotten a few friends. i jsut changed the battery tonight and i wore my gloves the entire time...

Is that cool there are a ton of those shock items. that is the best way to get to stop smoking. Have fun but becareful those can burn you.

Marquee, Auto Ignition Coil, Wall Plug

Had Sparks fly from multi-cables too, but they didn't get me

by the way, technically no one here has been electricuted, shocked yes. Electricution technically only occurs if you die.

I have been told that grounding yourself is all but a necessity here, because the doors, the wall plates, and just about everything builds up a sizeable static charge in the winter. So sizeable that it can create sparks over half an inch long!

by the way, technically no one here has been electricuted, shocked yes. Electricution technically only occurs if you die.

I thought we had established that a while ago...

I have been told that grounding yourself is all but a necessity here, because the doors, the wall plates, and just about everything builds up a sizeable static charge in the winter. So sizeable that it can create sparks over half an inch long!

Down here, the westerlies are killers for static. But there are things you can do to minimise the static risk. Avoidance of synthetic fibred clothing is one thing. It also does vary from person to person, and I think it is that people with dry skin are more susceptible to it.

Lets see... dog collar (I was just curious how much juice it put out) PAR cans, Wall sockets...cable...dimmers...yeah...

I was shocked by some kind of stupid joke gadget that a friend decided to try out on me. :mad:

I seem to have trouble being shocked by an audio converting lead that is mentioned elsewhere on these forums. However only one of my fellow techies has the same problem. Phantom power...

Now that's Funny! I'm sending it to our SM's
Speaking of shocks... this one is none theatrical. I was tuning a freinds Bug < a cherry '74 super beetle> , he had been doing some work and had screwed up the idle to the point that it was idlling at about 2500 rpm. So I grabbed my really long thin screwdriver, hunkered down on the left side of the engine,sort of leaned forward and placed my forehead up against the engine cover so I could see the fast mass air flow screw. Then holding the screw driver by the shaft I shoved it into the side of the carb. unfortunately on a 74 super beetle the ignition coil is mounted up side down right right next to the carb. When I accidently hit it the shock ran up my arm accross my shoulder and out through my forehead, 4 cylinders 2500 rpm, and it probably took a whole second before I could let go. You do the math and figure how 100,000 volt shocks I took through my brain.
I have to admit a few minutes I started feeling real relaxed and happy.

Now that's Funny! I'm sending it to our SM's
Speaking of shocks... this one is none theatrical. I was tuning a freinds Bug < a cherry '74 super beetle> , he had been doing some work and had screwed up the idle to the point that it was idlling at about 2500 rpm. So I grabbed my really long thin screwdriver, hunkered down on the left side of the engine,sort of leaned forward and placed my forehead up against the engine cover so I could see the fast mass air flow screw. Then holding the screw driver by the shaft I shoved it into the side of the carb. unfortunately on a 74 super beetle the ignition coil is mounted up side down right right next to the carb. When I accidently hit it the shock ran up my arm accross my shoulder and out through my forehead, 4 cylinders 2500 rpm, and it probably took a whole second before I could let go. You do the math and figure how 100,000 volt shocks I took through my brain.
I have to admit a few minutes I started feeling real relaxed and happy.

I remember a great cartoon that sort of follows this line:

Guy and Dog are both looking under the hood of the pickup truck, the guy says "here Tippy just put your tongue here" pointing to the coil

Sharyn

i've been shocked many a time by faulty wiring on lights, bad grounds on drop cords, electric fences, and many a times by automotive ignition coils while testing for spark, but i've had 3 pretty big jolts

1, i was in our schools welding shop, unpluging a welder (230v, 60a). in order to do this i was crouched under a welding table. well when i reached for the plug i used both hands (mistake number one) and didn't have gloves on (mistake number 2). well there were some scrap pieces of metal laying on the plug and when i grabbed it, well, ZAP. it took me a long time to let go and when i did i jumped up and hit the back of my head on the table which in turn nocked me out for about five minutes. i woke up and the whole class was looking over me, they thought i was dead. that one was real close.

2, i was in the auto shop removing the intake manifold off this piece of crap toyota truck. someone had stripped the head off one of the bolts, so i was stick welding on a new bolt. i had the ground clamp in one hand and the electrode holder in the other (again with the no gloves thing, i hate wearing gloves when i weld). i was pondering where a good ground would be and leaned forward and rested my forearms on the radiator core support and ZAP! my friend saw me shaking real bad and ran over and pulled me off, then of course he said "dude, that was awsome, do it again!"

3, i was helping my friend do a compression test on his 72 chevy Custom 10 with a bored out 406 and a 90,000 volt MSD racing ignition system. i was grounding out the coil when he asked if i was ready yet, i said no and he said OK and cranked the motor over, well i had the coil wire in one hand and it shot about an 8 inch spark through the index finger on my other hand.

I was going to say that being almost obsessively paranoid about electricity I haven't had a belt of 240 since I fried a tester screwdriver in high school. Stupid thing had a bulb in the clear handle and you pushed it into the live socket of a three pin and put your thumb on the end. If the bulb lit up it was live. Mine must have been faulty as I got 240 through my hand. Ouch. Since then I have only had belts from auto electrics I tend to forget how high the ampage can be on a 12 volt car system and treat it with a sort of careless indifference. I've even had a number of belts from my Motor Cycle.

1. A disposable camera I was turning into a taser (I put on gloves after this one-I forgot to discharge the capacitator)
2. My oven (I don't know how that happened)
3. A looses L520 Connection on a par can (and this happened while I was stradling a truss)
4. My TD's joke shock pen (only fell for that one once!!!)

though it wasn't this year, in fact, in was 2 and a half years ago in the middle of july--- christmas lights---

i pulled an old set from the electric room just to take the good bulbs for a show- i pluged the tangled mess in and missed the bare wires where some idiot spliced (first mistake) and didn't tape or heat shrink it (second)

that was a good buzz

I've been shocked by static electricity build up on flying performers outdoors.

110? You call that a shock?

Licking 9 volt batteries is a good way to wake up for cues.

Well I thought I was going to win this thread but it sounds like Van's ignition coil is going to beat me... I'll have to settle for second.

Back in high school I built a Jacob's Ladder for a science fair. I got a 10,000 volt transformer out of an old oil furnace and attached two metal rods to it. While I was adjusting the rods for my class demo, the class moron walked up and flipped the switch on. The power threw my arms wildly in the air. I tingled from the shoulders down for ten minutes but other than that I was ok. I was VERY lucky.

Lesson Learned... always unplug the cord or shut off the breaker... never trust the switch to keep you safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back