By what have you been electrically shocked? (NOT electrocuted.)

Re: wat have you been electicuted by ?

It's quite possible that what you got hit with was a preset warming level voltage. Alot of dimmers will go ahead and throw somewhere around 32 volts or so down the line to keep the filaments warm. That's why you UNPLUG ANYTHING Plugged into a dimmer before working on it. Just because the board is off doesn't mean the circuit is not energized.

Learned that one the hard way... thanks for the explanation lol!

Also, is there a relativly low-cost non contact voltage tester that will detect that kind of voltage as well as the voltage of a par can turned all of the way up?

Last edited:

Those things suck I have two of them for the electrical work I do and they give of all sorts of false readings for god only knows what reason. Plus if you tap it or you go to put it against the wire it will cherp.
Disclaimer: these are not a substitute for a DMM or contact voltage tester of any kind.

It's quite possible that what you got hit with was a preset warming level voltage. Alot of dimmers will go ahead and throw somewhere around 32 volts or so down the line to keep the filaments warm. That's why you UNPLUG ANYTHING Plugged into a dimmer before working on it. Just because the board is off doesn't mean the circuit is not energized.

Van, allow me if I will to simplify it to this:
That's why you UNPLUG ANYTHING before working on it...

Chris once again you have crystallized my thoughts Elloquently

Man, I've started doing that, but it's a pain because we have a low ceiling, so I just use a ladder, and I keep having to get off of the ladder and move it around to get to all of the plugs and switches.

Man, I've started doing that, but it's a pain because we have a low ceiling, so I just use a ladder, and I keep having to get off of the ladder and move it around to get to all of the plugs and switches.

We have a 12' grid in one of our theatres. We built a Cart to set the ladder on and roll it around to get around the lights better. Makes hang and focus as well as notes go a lot smoother.

I recently checked pricing on contractor's scaffolding. I was quoted under $1000 for a used 4'X8' rolling scaffold that is 12 feet high ($1300 new). That's a really safe and stable way to get up there and deal with problem lighting. I think that 4X8 scaffolds can go up to 16 feet high without requiring outriggers. And at around $1000 that's a price most theater's can afford. My old college theater had the ladder on wheels... scared the crap out of me on many occasions. Save some money and buy a scaffold.

our theatre built ours out of scap metal. while that doesn't sound half bad... when i say scrap i mean we were taking and welding pieces of 2x2 steel back together and grinding it smooth so that we could build it...

Just a little question, :oops: what's a "grid"? :oops:

The "grid" can mean a couple of different things. In a traditional, Proscenium, house, the grid is area above deck that all the rigging hangs from. You would usually access this by climbing a looooong steel ladder up one side of the stage. There are two types grids in a moving rigged house. one is under hung, the is over hung. Under hung usually implies a series of steel Ibeams running up to down stage, Loft blocks and head block are then tied to the underside of the beam via beam clips, or sometimes welded < ick >. Over hung grids can be either wood or steel but typicially consist of a bunch of beams running up to down stage with 4-6 " gaps between them. Blocks are usually secured via a large U-bolt or sometimes a beam clamp if the setup is steel.
The third type of grid is the one you might find in a black box. Though this is best described as a "Pipe-grid" it usually consists of 1 1/2" scd#40 steel pipe suspended in a room with cross pipes every 4, 6, 8, feet. it really depends on the architects , or theatre consultants fancy as to the spacing on the grid.

Having previously boasted on this thread about how careful I am and how I haven't had a shock for years yesterday I somehow managed to get 70 volts between finger and thumb on my left hand while working on a badly behaved Martin Robocolour Pro 400 I am trying to fix.
Just goes to show don't it.

A lot of time you cannot turn off the power. The other day I popped open a 480 disconnect to see why the exaust fan in the shop wasnt working, well when a rats nest of wires fell out i jumped back so quick the guys thought i had gotten electrocuted. That was a little close. There were lines feeding through the disconnect so i didnt know what was hot and what was cold. So now its going to stay there for now, until i have some undestracted time and my gloves along with meter.

If you can't turn off the power, then your not qualified to work on what you're getting into. Or you're a High-tension Linesman who makes enough money to justify the risk he's taking.
If you can't turn off the power then it means you need to call the Power company to disconnect it from the pole. Something tells me, however that 480 disconnect is being energized by a transformer, which can be disconnected.

Or you're a High-tension Linesman who makes enough money to justify the risk he's taking.

Actually I saw some really cool show on those guys. Apparently a TON of their work is done my helicopter now. It's a lot easier to get from point to point on the line (wait, we are talking about the huge power-lines right?). Anyways, they use some clamps to connect to the wire, and they use some term I forget (like "bond on") to the current. As they are the same current / amperage / whatever as the wire they can manipulate it without any other safety precautions. I believe the entire helicopter gets the same treatment, and as long as you don't ground out anywhere, you are golden. Anyways, all they need to wear are work gloves. Kinda cool.

Edit:
This video has the exact thing I am talking about, except this guy just doesn't "bond on". A comment on page two explains it further:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEKbMMHAwm0&mode=related&search=

Last edited:

If you can't turn off the power, then your not qualified to work on what you're getting into. Or you're a High-tension Linesman who makes enough money to justify the risk he's taking.
If you can't turn off the power then it means you need to call the Power company to disconnect it from the pole. Something tells me, however that 480 disconnect is being energized by a transformer, which can be disconnected.

The building is old. I'm very familiar with working with 480 hot. Who knows all the wires could be cold now that the disconnect is off, but you always treat is as being hot. Plus working with hot it makes things more fun LOL. To be able to kill everything would require shutting down power to the whole building which is not an option.

Old thread I know, but today I had quite a strange experience.

Our auditorium has in-floor boxes which contain our mic multi cores, additional power outlets, network ports and vga ports etc.. Today I was patching a mic into one of the sockets and my hand brushed to metal housing of the box and I was shocked. I felt it come right up my arm. Not full mains but had enough force to throw my arm out and throw me onto the floor. Now the casing was supposedly earthed and an electrician has checked it and cant figure out what may have caused it. And there is no longer a charge in the box. The first person I mentioned this to instantly said that it would be static, but since when does static have enough force to throw you to the ground???

Old thread I know, but today I had quite a strange experience.
Our auditorium has in-floor boxes which contain our mic multi cores, additional power outlets, network ports and vga ports etc.. Today I was patching a mic into one of the sockets and my hand brushed to metal housing of the box and I was shocked. I felt it come right up my arm. Not full mains but had enough force to throw my arm out and throw me onto the floor. Now the casing was supposedly earthed and an electrician has checked it and cant figure out what may have caused it. And there is no longer a charge in the box. The first person I mentioned this to instantly said that it would be static, but since when does static have enough force to throw you to the ground???

Is there anything carrying significant power in the box? My vote is for static, though I don't know anything.

Is there anything carrying significant power in the box? My vote is for static, though I don't know anything.

There are 4 GPO power outlets carrying 240v each. Other than that, only mic cables, VGA and CAT5. I doubt that it was static just from the feeling of the power moving up my arm. I have been hit by strong static a few times, you get the initial shock (which can be quite strong if there is a lot of buildup) but I have never had the feeling of it coming up your arm, not to say that it doesnt happen...

any possibility that your ground on your mic is crossing a hot? that would cause it too...

one of our spots in h.s. had some grounding problem, it was great to see the freshmans' faces when you told them they could only touch it in certain spots without gettin a buzz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back