By what have you been electrically shocked? (NOT electrocuted.)

Re: wat have you been electicuted by ?

20 AMP Romex I cut through that was a powerfeed to the kitchen. Not theater related but still :p

Well, I've never been electricuted by anything, because electricution always results in death. ALWAYS. But, I've been shocked by a female Stagepin connector that I was told was "off", a Sourcefour cap, and one of our nasty, dirty floorpockets. :p

I have been shockd by many things but i have a funny story about someone else being shocked.

The CD player we were using had swallowed a disk, this noob decided to get it back, he left it pluged in and proceeded to unscrew it, he then started to poke about with a screwdriver, after about a minute he put his fingers in to get the CD and one hell of a supprise, (yes raktor this was tristin)

lol, ever seen somone get shocked like that?

I've been zapped by a fair few things, most of them not theatre related.

I've been zapped by numerous DIs.

Live RCA cables.

USB cable from my printer...

And I used to zap people with the lighter things used to start hot water heaters.

And I am shocked that this thread has been revived.:oops:

Worst I've gotten it?

5V DC power supply.

Yep, that was a harrowing experience.

Actually, I can't remember if I mentioned this, but it was when I was making our projector douser.

Ol' CD Drive + polarity reversing momentary on/off DC switch + 125' of two conductor "intercom wire" + ol' 5V DC power supply + solder + iron + electrical tape + heatshrink tubing + heatgun = Kickass project.

Is there any chance of getting someone from the senior team to correct the spelling of this thread's title? It's been driving me crazy for a year and a half now. And as long as you are fixing the spelling why not change to title to "Shocked By" which makes more sense.

So if you had asked a year and a half ago, you would have to have used a different excuse for your craziness? I'm shocked by that!

240v 10 amp

right out of a wall socket, i was unplugging a laptop

not a good feeling

Now that's Funny! I'm sending it to our SM's
Speaking of shocks... this one is none theatrical. I was tuning a freinds Bug < a cherry '74 super beetle> , he had been doing some work and had screwed up the idle to the point that it was idlling at about 2500 rpm. So I grabbed my really long thin screwdriver, hunkered down on the left side of the engine,sort of leaned forward and placed my forehead up against the engine cover so I could see the fast mass air flow screw. Then holding the screw driver by the shaft I shoved it into the side of the carb. unfortunately on a 74 super beetle the ignition coil is mounted up side down right right next to the carb. When I accidently hit it the shock ran up my arm accross my shoulder and out through my forehead, 4 cylinders 2500 rpm, and it probably took a whole second before I could let go. You do the math and figure how 100,000 volt shocks I took through my brain.
I have to admit a few minutes I started feeling real relaxed and happy.

You know, I though I was going to get the highest voltage. Off a spark plug wire that had bad insulation.

I've had two zaps I can recall:

One was a few years ago on a production of Guys and Dolls, and was completely my fault. We had built these two lamp posts, but, being as I was head of multiple projects, I was not the one who wired them. Well, one night after a rehearsal, one of them stopped working. I took it apart to see that the wires had been spliced with DUCT TAPE. They weren't even twisted together, just taped together. I proceed to rewire, and then get a nice tingle. It was that day I learned that putting a dimmer at zero does not always take out all the voltage, and also to ALWAYS make sure things are uplugged.

The other little zap was from my iPod. Somehow I touched the engaged hold switch on the top on the unit to my upper lip, and that caused a small shock.

I've had two zaps I can recall:

One was a few years ago on a production of Guys and Dolls, and was completely my fault. We had built these two lamp posts, but, being as I was head of multiple projects, I was not the one who wired them. Well, one night after a rehearsal, one of them stopped working. I took it apart to see that the wires had been spliced with DUCT TAPE. They weren't even twisted together, just taped together. I proceed to rewire, and then get a nice tingle. It was that day I learned that putting a dimmer at zero does not always take out all the voltage, and also to ALWAYS make sure things are uplugged.

learned that one the hard way too, up on ladder and then I went to change a lamp and low and behold, ZAP! then I thought that the guy had put it up on purpose and then he told me that it was all the way down.

learned that one the hard way too, up on ladder and then I went to change a lamp and low and behold, ZAP! then I thought that the guy had put it up on purpose and then he told me that it was all the way down.
I learned that one by popping three fuses in a row in a crap-tastic lightronics dimmer pack. That was fun...and that was the same day that I got zapped by a PAR38 lamp base, which was attached to the lightronics dimmer pack.

Similar thing happened to me 30' up in a scissor lift in a (metal) convention center ceiling. I was focussing, someone else had done the hang. The female connector literally fell off the cable, exposing all three wires; sparks and smoke, I almost had an unwanted bodily function emission. It was a 10' cable, so I was able to, carefully, reach the male connector and unplug it from the non-dim receptacle.

Moral: Always keep your cables in good repair! And check for proper strain relief often.

It was sortof funny in gym the other day because I was playing basketball and the ball went by a door and when I touched the door, is shocked me. So i touched it again and It shocked me again, but this time when it touched it, I pulled my finger back and there was an arch about 2 in. long. It was either faulty wiring around the door or just static.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back