Conventional Fixtures C-clamp question

Another concern of mine is that I assume you have an already published schedule for performance's that were supposed to take place in that venue? I would find out if the Powers That Be have looked into an alternative venue until this space can be made safe.

That I don't know. I was told that when I brought it up, the board had already been in talks on things that needed to get done to the building; for how long, I don't know that either.

Or perhaps a theatre consultant who deals with both these two specialties.
Absolutely correct. A skilled consultant can bring this project all together and do everything for you.

Also note that although the consultant is more expensive, it's a much safer way to do this from a liability point of view. Part of what you pay for bringing in a consultant is having an expert sign off and say, "Yes this is safe and the correct way to do it."

Does it snow much there? Do you get those giant post hurricane rain storms rolling through. less than a foot of really wet snow, snow that has been rained on, or even a couple inches of left over hurricane rain can do a number on your ceiling. Spend some time on YouTube looking at ceiling collapse videos if you run into anyone on the board that is unsure if this is important.

Also note that although the consultant is more expensive,

I wish. Storefront theatres - which this seems to be akin to - cannot afford much in the way of fees. The ones I work on generally are pro bono publico. I enjoy the challenge of next to no budget and the sweat equity of the artists. It's especially nice to work with the actual folks that are going to use the theatre, rather than school administrators and the design team. Efficient too - you have to explain a lot less - like upstage vs downstage, the need to be able to control lights rather than on occupancy detectors (you have no idea how hard that is to convince engineers its OK and even desirable to be able to turn the lights out while the room is occupied) and many more things. All those architects and superintendents and school board folk that don't understand and have never seen what happens in a stage wing, so always try to cut it. Just so nice to work with people who get it.

can spot gotchas and issues that you might not have ever considered

Plusses and minuses to that. I got a call once for a new theatre and balcony sightlines. I "knew" this was probably not the only problem. A report with 180 some items and a few million dollars later, it wasn't so bad. The defense of the sightlines was wonderful. The architect had drawn a line on the section from eyepoint in last row of balcony to a person's head at curtain line. The fact it went through chair backs and the balcony fascia - forget about over heads - didn't seem to phase anyone.

So yes, you may get a more "comprehensive" review than just the pipe grid.

As I noted, I expect to be in Nashville sometime in the next several months and will try to schedule a stop in Murray.

Absolutely correct. A skilled consultant can bring this project all together and do everything for you.

Also note that although the consultant is more expensive, it's a much safer way to do this from a liability point of view. Part of what you pay for bringing in a consultant is having an expert sign off and say, "Yes this is safe and the correct way to do it."

Does it snow much there? Do you get those giant post hurricane rain storms rolling through. less than a foot of really wet snow, snow that has been rained on, or even a couple inches of left over hurricane rain can do a number on your ceiling. Spend some time on YouTube looking at ceiling collapse videos if you run into anyone on the board that is unsure if this is important.

We really don't get much snow. We'll get a nasty one (for us) every few years, but it's melted away after a week or less. Here in western KY, just the idea of the possibility of roads freezing overnight will close schools, and all the stores will run out of bread and milk. Not even exaggerating. By the next day, roads are fine.

We really don't get much snow. We'll get a nasty one (for us) every few years, but it's melted away after a week or less. Here in western KY, just the idea of the possibility of roads freezing overnight will close schools, and all the stores will run out of bread and milk. Not even exaggerating. By the next day, roads are fine.
We have the same once a year snow here in Seattle. The city is built on 7 hills that are about 500 feet high. So the least bit of ice and every road becomes a bobsled track! Once in a while the annual 6 inches or so of snow get's followed by a rain storm, this means the snow absorbs the water and we have multiple roof collapses in the news.

As I noted, I expect to be in Nashville sometime in the next several months and will try to schedule a stop in Murray.

If it just HAPPENS to fall on a Monday when you drop by our little town, I'm off work that day. My weekend is Sun/Mon. With a few days' notice, however, I can get off work :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back