Conventional Fixtures C-Clampery

Anybody got a good source for replacing the beloved pan bolts (a.k.a. "f-nut") with T-handles?

I would love to replace 200 of them RIGHT now.
My how you've grown.:twisted:
...Yeah I've seen those pan-lock bolts broken off too. But as long as you don't crank on them they should hold just fine. In fact it takes very little force to get it to lock and unlock properly. I don't buy the idea of using the main yoke bolt instead of the pan lock bolt. I keep those yoke bolts clamped down tight and don't mess with them. I train all my students to just lightly tighten the pan-locks... and I haven't had any major problems yet.
I'd rather permanently break off the pan bolt if I could assure that the spud would stay tight.

I bought a few of these to test and was quite pleased, both with the vendor and the quality of the product. I highly recommend them. The only caveat is that the T-handles are too large to fit side by side to work with a standard sidearm's sliding tee.

EDIT: Updated link for above: http://www.knobsdirect.com/knob.cfm?ID=319
In case it goes away again, you want a
Bar Knob, External Threaded Steel Zinc Plated
with 5/16-18 threaded stud, 3/4" long
proxy.php

Last edited:
Love the FU set screw replacement with a knob and understand the melted aluminum knob on steel set screw problem. Still loved them clamps and saved them for my most favorite.

Wifie in lately not being so busy at the moment just sent most of her clamps to the hoist department for a spinning in their cement mixer that has metal clean abrasive cleaning material cones so as to get them de-rusted and cleaned, and with time has had her boys doing time on my grinder in taking away the mushrooming of the tip of set screws from such bolts. This as with soaking them with WD-40 and tapping.

Man-power on such bolts verses buying new ones from Altman (often cheaper than ETC) or other in general suppliers such as from Fastenal as a concept. New bolts and save the claps - this especially if you cut the bolt before its tip is removed I think important so the old bolt don't strip its way out of the clamp.

Big money out there for a normal black clamp that don't rust so well, has side FU knobs, and hex bolts that don't mushroom easily or rust. As a clamp the ETC or similar Altman HD versions are standard these days - how to better them is the next City Theatrical in supplier popular.

what is the standard size of the little nut on a c-clamp that can be used to make it swivel left and right (also what is the size of the standard square bolt on a c-clamp that is used to attach it to the baton) i only ask because i wanna get 2 wrenches that match those sizes so i dont have to fiddle with a stupid crescent wrench at awkward angles i ask because i dont have access to a source 4 with me right now and im trying to order the wrenches.

thanks so much in advance you guys are always so helpful

thanks again,
cam

Sorry, I don't remember the exact sizes of the pan screw or pipe bolt off the top of my head, but would a tool like this be of any interest to you?

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/...ign=googleps&gclid=CMXToYe-wrsCFfPm7Aod_0UAUw

There are several versions of this including the more pricey Ultimate Focus Tool.

http://www.pnta.com/lighting/tools/...ign=shopping&gclid=CKWokOW-wrsCFahj7AodqmIA-g

Check the side bar of the PNTA site for some cheaper (but still nice) options, and by all means shop for the best price as PNTA isn't the only source.

Last edited:
what is the standard size of the little nut on a c-clamp that can be used to make it swivel left and right ...
The pan screw head (aka Jesus nut) is a 5/16" square head, which takes a 3/8" 12pt. socket.

(also what is the size of the standard square bolt on a c-clamp that is used to attach it to the baton) ...
The pipe bolt is a 1/2" square head, which takes a 5/8" 12pt. socket.

The above applies to Altman as well as ETC clamps. What many do is tighten the panscrew down and NEVER touch it again (see http://www.controlbooth.com/threads/pan-bolt-discussion.25411/ ). Then use a 5/8"-3/4" ratcheting box wrench for hang and focus. The 3/4" fits the hex head yoke bolt.

The pan screw head (aka Jesus nut) is a 5/16" square head, which takes a 3/8" 12pt. socket.

The pipe bolt is a 1/2" square head, which takes a 5/8" 12pt. socket.

The above applies to Altman as well as ETC clamps. What many do is tighten the panscrew down and NEVER touch it again (see http://www.controlbooth.com/threads/pan-bolt-discussion.25411/ ). Then use a 5/8"-3/4" ratcheting box wrench for hang and focus. The 3/4" fits the hex head yoke bolt.
could I get a link to a recommended 5/8"-3/4" ratcheting box wrench
thanks for all the help

I do occasionally encounter 3/8" square head set screws, usually on the T's of Altman side arms.

I know this was posted somewhere else, but those posts gave no answers I was looking for.

I'm trying to purchase a ratcheting wrench(s) to use for hanging lighting. I'm tired of using a crescent which takes forever. And I dont want to spend the big bucks to get the ultimate focus tools right now.

I need to know the size of the typical pipe bolt, pan bolt (aka, goose neck bolt,or sometimes referred to as the f%# me nut), and the yoke (spigot) bolt.

Any help would be appreciated. Cause for the life of me I can't remember the sizes cause after using a crescent for a number of years, I didn't need to remember the sizes.

I've always understood that NOT accepting a 1/2" pipe was part of ETC's spec for the clamp to begin with. They knew from jump that they didn't want people making sidearms with them........

I know this was posted somewhere else, but those posts gave no answers I was looking for.

I'm trying to purchase a ratcheting wrench(s) to use for hanging lighting. I'm tired of using a crescent which takes forever. And I dont want to spend the big bucks to get the ultimate focus tools right now.

I need to know the size of the typical pipe bolt, pan bolt (aka, goose neck bolt,or sometimes referred to as the f%# me nut), and the yoke (spigot) bolt.

Any help would be appreciated. Cause for the life of me I can't remember the sizes cause after using a crescent for a number of years, I didn't need to remember the sizes.

The "economic" way to pull that off takes at least two wrenches, trust me because I've spent way more time than I should have investigating the options. What you will need is a 3/4"x5/8" speed wrench, like the Craftsman 43364 and a Refrigeration Ratchet to do the 5/16" and 3/8" square, like the Klein

Some hangs I'll take out my 3/8DR ratchet with 8 point 1/2" socket, most hangs I just use my Ultimate Focus Tool and 6" adjustable wrench.

For the record, the mini-grid in my rehearsal space was built with 1", and some of the clamps on my ETC fixtures won't clamp reliably on *that*, either. I was going to rebuild it with 1.5"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back