Cable "S" hooks for truss

Dagger

Anyone have experience using these. They simply hook over the truss (?) , chances are pretty low for it to fall(?)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200212-123903_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200212-123903_Samsung Internet.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 238
Pretty much. At my undergrad we had a similar set of aluminum cable hooks permanently hung on the truss we used. They're just as simple as the picture makes it look and because of their shape and the way the cables drape through them, they won't fall off the truss under normal movement. It's dead simple to move them around as needed and they cut down on a lot of the tie line you would be using otherwise.

If you've got a truss that you rehang often, I'd recommend looking at a set of cable hooks (either these or other ones). The cables aren't dressed quite as cleanly as you can get them if you go all out with tie line, but they make the cable cleanup process dead simple.

I can't speak to whether these particular hooks (or any others) would have a published WLL. As long as you don't go wildly overboard as you load them up, I wouldn't worry too much, as the alternative is tie line or electrical tape. I'm not sure how beefy or expensive the plastic hooks in your picture are, but City Theatrical has an aluminum version that runs around $17 online. I trust CT's name and reputation, and to my eye, the geometry and material of the hook look better. Looks like there's a pretty decent variety of other manufacturers in aluminum and plastic with different designs if you go digging around.

As far as spacing, 3' is probably a decent starting point, but I haven't used these for a few years and I can't remember clearly how far apart we were able to use these.

Gonna plug a product that we use Cable Munkey talked with the manufacture of these and the 24lb rating is with a 5/1 ratio built in. They are rated and able to be hung in any orientation using a zip tie or tie line to cinch up the mounting hook. That said on our standard schedule 40 2 inch pipe they fit snugly enough that if you just have a few cables hanging they aren't moving.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gonna plug a product that we use Cable Munkey talked with the manufacture of these and the 24lb rating is with a 5/1 ratio built in. They are rated and able to be hung in any orientation using a zip tie or tie line to cinch up the mounting hook. That said on our standard schedule 40 2 inch pipe they fit snugly enough that if you just have a few cables hanging they aren't moving.

I saw these at Mainstage Milwaukee when I was there last. I really like them. The feature I like the most is the two hooks. Data in one, power in the other!

Being a form of plastic I would bet the cable will drop after a certain point, however there areany other things that would certainly be falling before.

like the cable itself! In a fire the cable is going to melt too.
Here’s an interesting way of cable managment.

Attachments

• 8C49D61C-52D9-43C7-BF46-99349595F162.jpeg
    8C49D61C-52D9-43C7-BF46-99349595F162.jpeg
    512.7 KB · Views: 205
like the cable itself! In a fire the cable is going to melt too.
Here’s an interesting way of cable managment.
I like the neatness and organization. I'm not certain about turning curtain track hangers into cable raceways. I'm especially uncertain that the batten is grounded to the venue grounding electrode system. One of those wires, with a pinch or simple wear, could energize the entire pipe and possibly the grid and other metal connected to the fly system. This is an advantage to plastic hangers - a cable insulation failure won't energize the truss or batten.

I just wondered about fire performance as in another place we had a discussion about just this problem, where in a fire the cables fall and even though the insulation may melt the cores are still there, and they are a hazard to firefighters, especially where cables have been slung over an entrance or gangway. Cable drop had to be in the RA and mitigation in place to avoid cables drooping over gangways and especially doorways.

In a building fire the electrical wires are all going to melt, jacket and conductor both. So is the wire rope supporting the battens. Almost everything will burn.
A few facts:
The melting point of Steel is 2700 degrees Fahrenheit .
Flash over (the point where spontaneous combustion starts) is 1100 degrees F.
Average house fire temp is 1000-2000 degrees Fahrenheit. A theatre fire is worse due to the combustible material hanging on stage.
At 1100 degrees Fahrenheit steel loses 25% of its strength.
At 2200 degrees Fahrenheit it loses 75%.

how about the plastic on the fixtures? If your using truss that melts at 1200 degrees Fahrenheit.

The point?

The industry tends to get myopic when it comes to fire and ignores a lot of the other things that are going to happen in a fire. If there is no one to rescue inside the building, the fire department will fight the fire from outside in, specifically to avoid putting people at risk. This is also why the proper design of new theatres with sprinkler systems is moving use away from fire curtains, as it is much better to put out the fire than to just try to contain it.

Just say no to fire.....unless it's pyro...then say yes, as long as it's done safely.

Last edited:
Tbh I'm surprised deluge curtains aren't more common
My understanding is that they are growing in popularity but then also conversely have their own issues in that introducing water to a lot of electrical and softgoods which causes shifts in weight making linsets more dangerous to be around, is inherently problematic as well. I've also heard of at least 2 triggering by accident causing a ton of damage and necessitating large renovations to repair. I suspect those reasons they aren't more prevalent.

I just wondered about fire performance as in another place we had a discussion about just this problem, where in a fire the cables fall and even though the insulation may melt the cores are still there, and they are a hazard to firefighters, especially where cables have been slung over an entrance or gangway. Cable drop had to be in the RA and mitigation in place to avoid cables drooping over gangways and especially doorways.
I suspect this is the difference between firefighting concerns in the UK vs USA, as a generalization. I'm not a firefighter so can't speak to individual practices, but for the most part the inclination in the USA is to fight fires from the exterior of a large building unless there is reason to think humans may be inside.

I think if there was a concern about using non-conductive S hooks to hang cables, a "gak-flex" steel round sling safety could be choked around the cables every 3m. and affixed to the batten or truss. Or use aluminum or steel S hooks...

As the Owner and Inventor of Cable Munkey, I am happy to answer any questions you may have about them. In the instance of a fire, yes they will melt at some point, it is a 30% glass filled plastic so there is some extra rigidity and heat resistance built-in. I think if you get a fire hot enough to get them melting you have many other concerns on your hands. Cable Munkey will be at USITT if you want to check them out more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back