Cable Storage/Inventory Management

Our school is looking to find a way to store our cables (mic cables mostly). Our current setup is they are hung up on screws in a cabinet, while others are wrapped up and thrown in a box in the corner. There are many cables and not enough room to hang them all up. The main problem is tangling which of course damages the cord (the correct wrapping technique is pushed, but inevitably ignored), and also finding the cords we want.

Is there a more convenient way we are missing? Thanks.

Quickest and dirtiest would be 1" dowels (or lag bolts in a pinch) put in a 2x4 on an angle and then secure the 2x4 to the wall. Label each peg for length and develop a colour-code system for your cables so you know at a glance how long a cable is BEFORE you uncoil it. You can also do a search on the Booth and get about a googlezillion (it's a word . . .) hits on this subject as well.

If you don't lengths of tie line already permanently attached to the female end of each cable, thats a start to help prevent a rats nest.

If you don't lengths of tie line already permanently attached to the female end of each cable, thats a start to help prevent a rats nest.

Why do you say female end? On mic cables, the male end goes to the board, and you'd want any labeling, or tiewraps on this end, so they don't get in the way of a lead singer, mic stand, etc etc. I've heard from plenty of singers who can't stand those 6 inches down the cable from their microphone.

try a cart on wheels (hah what a concept) about 2'w 5'L 6't with metal tubes coming off the sides to hang cables on (make sure you put foam or bright flourescent paint on the ends!! I have learned to be careful around that cart). On the bottom, there is space for twofers, adapters, and whatever else you want. As for denoting lengths, tie different numbers of stripes of colored tape on the cables.
Example:
1 yellow: 5'
2 yellow: 10'
3 yellow: 15'
1 red: 25'
2 red: 50'
3 red: 75'
4 red: 100'

This the system that the theatre that I'm working at for the summer uses, and it works well; even when cables are in a pile, since the markings are easy to read at all orientations and dont need much space to see.

Thanks, this gave me some ideas!

One question. With the cart, is there any type of prevention of thievery? Because having cables right there back stage sounds really useful, but I feel they might get stolen, which is one reason we have them locked up in the cabinet up in the booth. Thanks again.

The reason I said on the female end is from my Sparkie influence. Since the male end is always at the power source, and the female end is usually at a lighting fixture, a permanently attached piece of tie line on the female end makes for a readily available piece with which to begin dressing the cable.

But since the Noise Boys have no such rules then can put their tie line where-ever, (or their velcro strips as the case may be) :evil:

As for denoting lengths, tie different numbers of stripes of colored tape on the cables.
Example:
1 yellow: 5'
2 yellow: 10'
3 yellow: 15'
1 red: 25'
2 red: 50'
3 red: 75'
4 red: 100'

If I might offer a suggestion: Use different colors, not multiple pieces of tape. Tapes comes off of cable. It's much easier to deal with 'no label' than a 'wrong label'.

My $.02

--Sean

Another option is the Velcro ties that hold the leads together after they have been rolled, they come in heaps of colours so they can all be colour co-ordinated, and they keep your leads neat and stop them from coming undone, once you have done that get a woodwork student to knock you up a plank of wood with hooks or round pieces of wood coming out of it, or even the hose/rope hooks you buy from a garden centre would do, but make sure you get the Velcro straps.

A fairly common length coding practice around here is to use resistor colour coding to denote length:

A 25' cable would be RED + GREEN.

proxy.php

A fairly common length coding practice around here is to use resistor colour coding to denote length:

Use the same length color-code that your regular rental shop uses (if you rent often). If you're the 'big' theatre, try to use something that will make sense to lots of people. The same goes for actual cable lengths. Do you REALLY need 20' cables? Or would a couple more 25' cables be a better choice? You really don't need to have cable in every 5' increment from 5' to 50'

--Sean

I thought we'd covered standard cable marking practices before...

Connector on the left, butt heatshrink up to end of connector, start labels at end of heatshrink (100mm for standard cables, less for patch tails).
Company sticker, coloured electrical tape of length using resistor colour code, in metres, numerical labelling for those incompetent enough not to know the resistor colour code off the top of their head.

I would argue NOT to try and copy what your local rental house does, the resistor colour code is an accepted international standard, don't reinvent the wheel. I guess while you guys persist in using imperial measures you'll have to mark it up in feet... At any rate the numbers ought to be there for the sake of a muso or other partially competent assistant...

A fairly common length coding practice around here is to use resistor colour coding to denote length

Ha! I was going to suggest the resistor color code. I love companies like EDI that use the resistor color code for their low voltage wiring. Easy to put things back together or to see if it was wired correctly at the factory.

I still remember the off color limerick I learned back when I was 15 to help recall the color code when I began my official electronics studies.

I thought we'd covered standard cable marking practices before...

Connector on the left, butt heatshrink up to end of connector, start labels at end of heatshrink (100mm for standard cables, less for patch tails).
Company sticker, coloured electrical tape of length using resistor colour code, in metres, numerical labelling for those incompetent enough not to know the resistor colour code off the top of their head.

I would argue NOT to try and copy what your local rental house does, the resistor colour code is an accepted international standard, don't reinvent the wheel. I guess while you guys persist in using imperial measures you'll have to mark it up in feet... At any rate the numbers ought to be there for the sake of a muso or other partially competent assistant...

Wow, Chris... didn't get your coffee this morning?

I don't know the resistor color code off the top of my head. And while it's an international standard for resistors, that has nothing to do with cable lengths. I've never seen it used for cables...not from any rental shop...not in any venue. Not much of a standard then, is it?

And, the OP is in a school. I'll venture to say that most of the students don't know WHAT a resistor color code is, let alone know it 'off the top of their heads.'

--Sean

Wow, Chris... didn't get your coffee this morning?

I don't know the resistor color code off the top of my head. And while it's an international standard for resistors, that has nothing to do with cable lengths. I've never seen it used for cables...not from any rental shop...not in any venue. Not much of a standard then, is it?

And, the OP is in a school. I'll venture to say that most of the students don't know WHAT a resistor color code is, let alone know it 'off the top of their heads.'

--Sean

Coffee has nothing to do with it. I get passionate about cabling because it's what I earn money doing... It's also a post written mid afternoon...

We agree that it's an international standard for resistors. It is also therefore a standard for colour representation of 0 - 9. How many others of that are there?

As to usage, there are multiple companies doing it here; it is the standard used by Oceania's largest audio company amongst others. Have a look at a piece of Canare multicore. You'll find it's internal cores are using resistor colour code for identification. Canare make cable in each of the ten colours. The ten are also the spectrum of available boots for Neutrik connectors.

In some ways you are defeating your own arguement - there is no commonality of standard across companies.

Does it matter if a kid later finds out that the colour code he's learnt for cable lengths also happens to be the colour code for resistors? No. Take the lesson from the saying, I like standards, there's so many to choose from.

You won't change an industry overnight, but if we start the push to a standardised method of labelling thropugh pockets in schools, then perhaps those young technicians will go on to institue a common scheme in companies they set up or take up employment with. Then slowly we can get to a situation where it does make sense.

Sure someone could come up with a scheme that works for their defined length options. But it won't translate to a different company with different standard inventory and then you have to learn a different code.

There is no point reinventing the wheel on a colour code. The resistor one is there, all the service techs out there know it and most companies of decent size have a tech on staff if all else fails.

And like I said, put the length on in numbers as well as colours, it means a] that people who don't know the code don't have to learn it, they can look at it and know straight away how long the cable is and b] that they'll start to pick up the code and in doing so increase their operational efficiency.

I'm sorry that my response has put you off kilter, but I get very sick and tired of the underlying attitude across this industry of anything goes. Working with standards allows anyone to walk in and be able to service and play nice with your gear. Think about how long it's taken to finally settle on pin 2 hot...

Oh and colour code should also be used on multicore tails, it makes it SO much faster to patch when you need only look for colour rather than finicking around rotating cable to read the numbers...

I don't do sound regularly, mostly lighting, but I have never seen the resistor code used for cable designation. I am in the US so your chart makes no sense to me anyway. I agree that it would be nice to have a standard code for lengths but I know of none. I am pretty good at looking at a cable and telling you how long it is. I am also an arena rigger and there is an industry standard for steel, go figure. Red for fives, white for tens, blue for twenties, green for thirties and yellow for forties.

I don't do sound regularly, mostly lighting, but I have never seen the resistor code used for cable designation. I am in the US so your chart makes no sense to me anyway. I agree that it would be nice to have a standard code for lengths but I know of none. I am pretty good at looking at a cable and telling you how long it is. I am also an arena rigger and there is an industry standard for steel, go figure. Red for fives, white for tens, blue for twenties, green for thirties and yellow for forties.

Not sure which chart you are referring to and hence how it becomes non applicable in the US.

In the end people can adopt whatever colour code they want, I just want real numbers on it as well. If people really want to reinvent the wheel...

The code I use was based on the colors of e-tape I had available many years ago when I first started using them. It's remained constant. But since I hire a lot of people and they work freelance for me and other companies, and we all use our own codes, I find it easier just to tape a sheet with the codes to the inside trunk lids.

The one I developed is

brown - 100'
blue - 50'
red - 25'
green - 20'
orange - 15'
grey/gray - 10'
white - 5'
no color - less than 5'

So if I had a cable that was 120' it would have both brown and green markings.

And since most of our stuff is lighting related, we keep the cable wrap/velcro/tie to the female end. Were we to have any audio cables it would probably be the opposite.

How you do things should be based on what works safely and best for you.

To answer the original question, we just use shelves with dividers and stack them based on length.

For audio cables we bought a quality rolling rack with a locking door, and drawers for different cables. Makes finding a cable quick and easy, and stores both XLR and other cables in their own drawers. I like being able to roll the stock out to wherever we're working, and I only stock a few lengths of cable - really long lengths are destroyed by students or renters too quickly, and it's cheaper to buy 25' and less. What do you really need - some 25', 15' or 10', and a handful of shorter 5' for quick connections, along with speaker cable and specialized connections.

Lighting cable, being heavy and bulky, is stacked on shelves with dividers by length. 25', 15', and 5'. It's easier in a school setting to limit stock, and just coil the extra cable. I have some longer umbilical cable for rare longer runs.

Data cable (DMX and such) is coiled neatly and hung on a wall, but we don't have nearly as much of that.

Dunno if it was mentioned, but maybe try making or purchasing a Snake. All of our wires run through it, a lot of them we don't use, but they are there if we need them. Very very convenient for if we need a mic quickly at the stage, just plug it into the snake and find hte right wire at the other end.

Color and number coding ftw ^_^

And when not in use, just roll it up and has a tiny little cart its on with wheels only takes up like 1.5 square feet and has...mm, I don't even know how many cables are in it. But enough to fill like, two of our boards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back