Cable Storage/Inventory Management

I realize that this is an old thread, but the topic seems to be timeless. FYI, we have developed a new microphone cable reel that is very cool and effective. Probably best for venues, schools and churches. You can check it out at reel-axe.com.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
In line with the pegboard idea, I just saw this posted at Sound Forums Network:
cableorganizer.png
Sorry, just had to share.

Cable management is A very common theme

How do you suggest a small theatre mange their cables?

We have some hooks on the wall we use to store XLR and Lighting Cables but all of the other cables are in crates
(which is not ideal) we have a lot of leads and cables and not much space.

What Do Your Theatre Do?
What Do You Suggest We Do?

our tech box is on a balcony up a right angle staircase and is about 2.5m by 10m
so everything has to be small and able to hang up or somthing

Best system I have seen yet is a wood cart with shelves and mail crates for each length. Also the cables were labed with Neutralink cablr labels for length. There was a a door on the front that locked to prevent cable vacations.

I am extremely supportive of Velcro ties. They, in my opinion, are worth every cent. Rip-Tie has some that get ziptied to the cable. I use the cheep Monoprice ones, I have found they work just as well. Come in many diffrent colors as well. Being at a university, I have the ties organized by department (blue for concert hall audio, white for lighting, red for recording crew, black for Jazz dept.) Im sure that can be adaped for length.

Cable is stored in varous places: on shelf hooks, coiled in boxes, in a SKB box(sorted by long or short) or in one case in a file cabinet.

Audio cords are on the wall in our piano room. Sorted by length & type, color coded by length, all with rip tie velcro. Out of view is a large cable hanger with the stage snakes on it. The file cabinet (short drawers, maybe 6" tall each) house handheld mics, other mics, DI's, adapters and such. Shelf above holds studio cased mics and personal monitors.
Power cables are in a Knack box, try to keep stage pin on the left and edisons on the right. adapters in small tray. Color coding caries over to here too on the velcros.
This was the best solution for our space with almost no real storage space (ie: every theatre). This box doubles as a work table when needed one quick.
Wanted to do a meat rack for the cables, but the knack boxes were bought when the theatre opened. I actually have 3 more tuck in a stair well in basement that have DMX and 4 pin in one and odds and ends in others.

Attachments

• audio cable.jpeg
    audio cable.jpeg
    78.8 KB · Views: 5,925
  • power cable.jpeg
    power cable.jpeg
    73.6 KB · Views: 3,181

Users who are viewing this thread

Back