Cable Testers

cbrandt

What does everyone use these days to test cable? My testing equipment is getting pretty long in the tooth, and it is time for a refresh. I've been very satisfied with my Whirlwind DMX tester, but they don't seem to do much outside of audio/data.

My GAM checks have all been repaired so many times to the point they might as well be the ship of Theseus.

I've actually been looking for a new one because I would like to be able to test 4 pin (for Epix Strips) and ethercon, and I found this which is distributed in the US by CBI (who we get our cable from already). For Power, I would do what I've seen done before and use an NL8 to break out to Pcon, True1, and Edison since testers with actual power connectors on them are absurdly expensive.

I've actually been looking for a new one because I would like to be able to test 4 pin (for Epix Strips) and ethercon, and I found this which is distributed in the US by CBI (who we get our cable from already). For Power, I would do what I've seen done before and use an NL8 to break out to Pcon, True1, and Edison since testers with actual power connectors on them are absurdly expensive.

That looks like a pretty good unit. I think I'm going to have to come to terms with a digital interface of some sort. I'm a bit of a stick in the mud with preferring analog for testing cable.

This is my current ride or die.

We recently got one of these and LOVE it. Being able to sniff and pin out cables throughout facilities is AMAZING! Still have a gam check in the old hip pouch, but this lives very comfortably next to my classic yellow pyle pro cable tester in the go bag.

We recently got one of these and LOVE it. Being able to sniff and pin out cables throughout facilities is AMAZING! Still have a gam check in the old hip pouch, but this lives very comfortably next to my classic yellow pyle pro cable tester in the go bag.
Yes, with this and my GamChek I'm nigh unstoppable!

I built my own last summer for 3, 4, and 5 pin XLR by modifying an inexpensive tester from Amazon. Essentially rehousing the control board in a Hammond enclosure with a suitable collection of connectors. Prior to that I had been using a set of 5 to 4 pin adapter cables with the Hosa CBT-500:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back