Cable Turner/Bender

bobgaggle

So I've got frame that I need to hang. It gets a muslin header velcro'd to the top chord. I suppose the top of it is within sightlines, nobody wants to see rigging hardware above it or see tie line. I need a way to turn the lift line once it gets inside the frame and shackle it to the turnbuckle that's bolted in there. Does somebody sell a thing for this? Or do I weld in a chunk of pipe and bend it around that? Yes a pulley would work but I'm hoping a chunk of metal is more economical...

Alternately I could make the frame twice as tall and let everything run vertically because there would be room for the turnbuckle and the other riggy bits. Just run an eye bolt through the bottom chord and be done with it. Yeah that's better. Why complicate things? Thanks for the help guys.

1637271216850.png

edit: typing things out really helps to work through a problem lol

Any reason not to put the turnbuckle at the top of the lift line? Then you could have the lift line go to and eye in the bottom cord of your frame, up through the top cord and then to the structure above where no one would see the turnbuckle. This assumes that the structure is hidden from view.

Ethan

I'm with Ethan put the turnbuckle on the batten and not the piece. What you lose in easy of leveling you gain in ease of construction.

Also, Electrician Speaking here, so I could be way way off. As long as you don't turn the lift line at too small of a bend radius (there are rules, ratings for most aircraft cables) you're good to go. I've attached a picture below of an scenic piece from an opera that now hangs on display in our space, demonstrating (almost) exactly what you're looking to do.

View recent photos.jpg

D/d ratio for wire rope is 30:1. So for 1/8th wire rope you need a pin/sheave radius of 3.75”. Technically that’s for running wire rope, which this is not, so you might get away with a smaller D:d ratio, but if you stick with the larger one you’ll know you won’t have issues.

"Bender thing" = Mule Block.

ETC has a Device called a RACA. Right Angle Cable Adjuster, essentially does the same thing.

I Like the idea of using a forged Eye bolt through a structural member it gives you more adjustability in the same area.

Attachments

• raca.png
    raca.png
    109.5 KB · Views: 166
"Bender thing" = Mule Block.

ETC has a Device called a RACA. Right Angle Cable Adjuster, essentially does the same thing.

I Like the idea of using a forged Eye bolt through a structural member it gives you more adjustability in the same area.
lol yeah I was trying to avoid pulleys/blocks cause of cost. Was hoping someone had developed a very useful chunk of metal I could just buy and put in there. That RACA is cool though. looks like you can adjust it with your drill, that would speed things up.

Either way I figured out a simpler way to go about the problem. Thanks

Reactions: Van

Users who are viewing this thread

Back