CAD Programs

lighttechie5948

Hello. Does anyone know of any good CAD prgrams for lighting plots. I don't need anthing fancy, like 3D models. I just want to create 2D light plots that show where every light is on the stage and FOH. Oh, and Free would be nice.

I currenly use the Student version of Lightwrite, if that helps?

Any comments would be great!!!!

yeah i have used one called microlux, i emailed them saying that they had no selecon symbols and they emailed back with a serial number saying fix it yourself so after that i had a look at the software and found it fairly easy to use enless you try 3d

I think this is probably one of the most discussed topics on this board. Please use the search feature on the upper right side of the screen. It'll save a ton of storage space for the site not having everyone re-post the opinions expressed in a ton of threads already. Grumble grumble mutter mutter......

I think this is probably one of the most discussed topics on this board. Please use the search feature on the upper right side of the screen. It'll save a ton of storage space for the site not having everyone re-post the opinions expressed in a ton of threads already. Grumble grumble mutter mutter......

Will have to agree....

Agreeing with Van et Footer. And then there is the storage space consumed by people flaming those who choose to ignore the hint of using the search button and continue a thread after an alternate existing one has been pointed out...

It sounds like all you need are some search terms, try these: Vectorworks, WYSIWYG, Lightwrite, and Softplot

There are student discounts but nothing is cheap.

It sounds like all you need are some search terms, try these: Vectorworks, WYSIWYG, Lightwrite, and Softplot
There are student discounts but nothing is cheap.
Actually, I think that there is some encouraging movement in terms of affordability. For example, we're now offering the standard version of Capture (www.capturesweden.com), but which only communicates with our systems at $399 ($300 with a controller). You wouldn't even need to buy one of our systems if you just want to design and visualize offline.
I am certain that other vendors are going to be taking similiar steps. With some of lower end apps, like Magic 3D, getting better, I think that we are going to see more and more quality tools drop well below the $1000 mark. I realize that even $399 is steep for many folks, but when you consider that is already a $900 shift, I think it still helps show that there are some positive trends for folks who have don't have the luxury of giant budgets.
-jjf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back