cad

dj_illusions

Hey!

Was wondering what CAD programs people use. Ive got Vectorworks, AutoCAD and Visio but I want something to do like 3D stage drawings and be able to render it and put in people etc. From memory, WYSIWYG does it but im not completely sure, just wondering what everyone else uses or recommends... i need something desperatly =)

Catch!

Vectorworks all the way I lkie it because i think it is easier to use than most other programs. Also it allows you to make lighting plots and add in instruments if you have Spotlight.

RJ
Rock Springs Wy.

How do I get spotlight for it?

Does it do 3D drawings that you can render?

VectorWorks SPOTLIGHT 10 with RenderWorks, ($1595.00) or it is included in Vectorworks 10 ($1195.00). (Educational price about $400) I do all my ploting in Vectorworks. I like the features better then WYSISWG Design 7 (1595.00; education $639.00). if you want a break down of the software, let me know. Maybe I should start a post / tutorial on Vectorworks and WYSIWYG. Would anyone be interested in that information or support?

digitaltec said:
VectorWorks SPOTLIGHT 10 with RenderWorks, ($1595.00) or it is included in Vectorworks 10 ($1195.00). (Educational price about $400) I do all my ploting in Vectorworks. I like the features better then WYSISWG Design 7 (1595.00; education $639.00). if you want a break down of the software, let me know. Maybe I should start a post / tutorial on Vectorworks and WYSIWYG. Would anyone be interested in that information or support?

I would be very interested in a support forum like that (especially since I just got a copy of Vectorworks9 and hope to get 10 soon and I'm coming from an AutoCAD LT background), and I know several others who would too. Check with Uncle Daveee on making this an addition--I think this would be a great addition to the forums topics.

-wolf

It will be added once the site is moved to a new host

digitaltec said:

I would like to get more deeply into vector works. Thanks for the offer.

FWIW, Vectorworks has a users support site, where you can post questions, problems, etc.. VW is very good at reply'ing and the VW folks, as well as the members are very helpfull with tips and tricks.

Go to the VW website - http://www.nemetschek.net/

Look for Support, then the NNA Tech Board. There's a Spotlight section

Steve B.

Sounds like the best solution,

Am I correct that you are successful in drafting a lightplot in VW, then exporting to WYG as a .dwg, then able to cue off the WYG plot in Emphasis ?. Sounds like that's what your saying and is something I will most likely be doing next year if/when we upgrade to Emphasis.

I like VW and LW, using both extensivley, but will certainly have to learn WYG once it's on the system. Any tips/tricks would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve B.

where can iget free programs like those?

nOWHERE as far as I can find, ecept for demos at manufacturers sites. Google it.

I am considering upgrading from Softplot to Vectorworks when we get our grant. Can some one please tell me what they think of softplot and vectorworks.

Also, We would be getting a grandMA board, does vector works allow me to export to a GrandMA3d file? i think its something like .sl_

Tried Softplot years ago, hated it. It couldn't figure out that a striplight was one fixture with multiple dimmers, colors, channels, etc... seemed to take forever for them to get a fix. Never waited for it. (maybe it got better).

I've used Lightwright since day 1, when it was called Assistant Lighting Designer - ALD, back in mid 80's or so, so it was a natural to move to Vectorworks.

Love Vectorworks Spotlight. Does everything I need and has terrific import/export functions with Lightwright as well as import/export to AutoCad. This has been very useful as I deal with a massive theater renovation project that involves swapping .dwg files with ETC, the Architect, engineers etc...

Recently upgraded to VW11. Not much change for me from 10.5, which itself was a HUGE improvement over 9. Lightwright 4 is, however, a terriific upgrade, well worth it.

Neither of these programs are cheap, but you pay for the best and they are as close to being an industry standard as you can find.

Not had much luck yet getting VW into Emphasis Off-Line, though I know there's a way. Can't say about compatability with other Pre-Vis stuff.

Steve B.

I like softplot for smaller studio shows. It's easy to introduce younger techs to lighting without getting to far into a drafting lesson. Softplot has come a long way, but still is not the software of choice for larger shows. I tend to us VW for all of the shows I do, but if I am in a hurry I'll use soft plot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back