Can anyone give me a rough estimate of what a new electric raceway like this costs?

Re: Can anyone give me a rough estimate of what a new electric raceway like this cost

Yeah, definitely never seen anything like that before. I hadn't heard of it even existing! Must be a product that only existed because of growing pains (smoothing the transition from radial to axial and not having to stock different lamps).

But yep, that's a 1980's 360Q fixture. Also keep an eye out for the same looking fixture but with an angled lamp cap (360 radial, which was what that long prefocus lamp was originally made for). This was of the previous generation by Altman. They were known for the brown paint color on their ellipsoidals and fresnels for quite a while (switching to black in the late 80's or early 90's), and possibly, some of the fixtures you think are Hub are Altman. The bottom fixture in the third picture of your larger album looks to be an Altman #366. The second picture screams Altman, but isn't a #366, nor is it a #360. I believe we have ID'd this type of fixture before, but I forget the model number. I think [user]derekleffew[/user] could recall. Also, the "little buggers" in pic #23 are Source Four Pars.

Maybe at one point Altman and Hub crossed paths -- I know this was the case with Major Stage Lighting where several fixtures from the two brands share parts.

Some of those mini ellipsoidals (the ones with the cooling fins) are Altman 3.5Q's.

Last edited:
Re: Can anyone give me a rough estimate of what a new electric raceway like this cost

Yeah, definitely never seen anything like that before. I hadn't heard of it even existing! Most be a product that only existed because of growing pains (smoothing the transition from radial to axial and not having to stock different lamps).

But yep, that's a 1980's 360Q fixture. Also keep an eye out for the same looking fixture but with an angled lamp cap (360 radial, which was what that long prefocus lamp was originally made for). This was of the previous generation by Altman. They were known for the brown paint color on their ellipsoidals and fresnels for quite a while (switching to black in the late 80's or early 90's), and possibly, some of the fixtures you think are Hub are Altman. The bottom fixture in the third picture of your larger album looks to be an Altman #366. The second picture screams Altman, but isn't a #366, nor is it a #360. I believe we have ID'd this type of fixture before, but I forget the model number. I think derekleffew could recall. Also, the "little buggers" in pic #23 are Source Four Pars.

Maybe at one point Altman and Hub crossed paths -- I know this was the case with Major Stage Lighting where several fixtures from the two brands share parts.

Some of those mini ellipsoidals (the ones with the cooling fins) are Altman 3.5Q's.

Put up the Ship signal?

There are a number of ways you can help your part time TD out.
one would be to photo document all of those broken Edison outlets. print those out and make note of their location, so someone unfamiliar with the facility can find them. If you know what breaker box and breaker then note that info also. Your TD can then get that info to the maintenance department and hopefully they will get a round tuit some time.

Inspect all those source four lamp bases, looking closely at the contacts for any sign of arcing. The clean ones can be mated with a well inspected body and a new lamp. (clean the lens and reflector)
bench focus the units.
install a C-clamp and safety
I think you could likely get at least 50% of these dead S4 units operational for the cost of a lamp (and your time)

any bad bases will need parts.
inspect the bodies for any missing or damaged parts
create a parts needed list, get a vendor quote for those parts. give that quote to your td so he can inspect it and then pass it on to his administrators for purchase.

get your school signed up for this:
USITT Rigging Safety Initiative. The next deadline is April 1, 2012, applications are available here.

We have a technical director, whom I get along well with, but I think he's just swamped. He's only hired on a part-time basis, so he usually has to address current show/contract needs when he's around. He's enthusiastic about getting the work done, but he's not sure about how to get it started. And thanks, we really are lucky. It's really a beautiful place- that's why I'm working so hard to restore and preserve it.

It's too bad your TD is only part time. Looks like a full time person would have their hands full running that space.

^ No kidding!
Round tuits are worth their weight in gold around here:grin:. I think you're right- I'll bet most of those S4s are serviceable. I really don't know why they're down there.

I like those S4 fresnels, even though the Hub ones work really well too. "Little buggers" is a term of endearment in this case:p.

Those older fixtures are really weird. They're all Hub's charcoal brown, although I know Altman used a similar color. None of the fixtures are labeled Altman (and all stickers/labels are intact), but they have Altman model numbers cast into various parts. For example, most of the monster radials I've looked inside have "366" cast on various parts. So I'm just mistaking our fixtures for Altmans, right? Not quite. All of the fixtures have Hub-style serial numbers, and they all have various Chicago addresses printed on them. AFAIK, Altman only manufactured in NY. Maybe 3/4 of them have Hub badged all over them, and the rest have similar serial numbers and addresses but no Hub sticker. These fixtures are original to our 1972 Hub installation (dimmers, all wiring, fixtures, raceways, line sets, battens, etc). I think Ship is on to something- I think Hub somehow bought or licensed the right to use molds from other manufacturers. Heck, they could even be left over parts that have been resprayed and altered slightly.

*Oh, I meant to say, I'm pretty sure that 360q is genuine Altman. The color doesn't match any of our other fixtures (except for the 3.5Qs). I thought we had some 360qs around, but we hardly have any. Maybe they got brought over from another school?

When I get some time, I'll start a new thread just for these oddball fixtures. Only the Hub fresnels are currently mounted, so I'm sure I'll be able to bring a large selection of them home for cleaning and better pictures.

Yeah, definitely never seen anything like that before. I hadn't heard of it even existing! Most be a product that only existed because of growing pains (smoothing the transition from radial to axial and not having to stock different lamps).

But yep, that's a 1980's 360Q fixture. Also keep an eye out for the same looking fixture but with an angled lamp cap (360 radial, which was what that long prefocus lamp was originally made for). This was of the previous generation by Altman. They were known for the brown paint color on their ellipsoidals and fresnels for quite a while (switching to black in the late 80's or early 90's), and possibly, some of the fixtures you think are Hub are Altman. The bottom fixture in the third picture of your larger album looks to be an Altman #366. The second picture screams Altman, but isn't a #366, nor is it a #360. I believe we have ID'd this type of fixture before, but I forget the model number. I think derekleffew could recall. Also, the "little buggers" in pic #23 are Source Four Pars.

Oh, those ones that look like cannons. We have a few of those around. Looking back at that picture, it looks like Altman brown, not Hub brown. However, that exact fixture is in a 1960s Hub catalog, clearly labeled as their own product. When I get back to school, I'll pull out all of those "cannons" and see if they have matching labels. In the meantime, I'll try to post the picture from the Hub catalog.

(edit) Here are the photos. Looks like an 8764, but could be the 8769.
proxy.php

proxy.php

As always, thanks for your help everyone! This is really interesting.

Last edited:

..........ordering one somewhere between 40 and 50 feet long with around 50 circuits........

First point, standard spacing for circuits on a race way is 18" minimum as that is about as close as you can hang instruments and still have room to focus. That would give a 50' raceway about 32 outlets, whether that is 32 circuits (one each) or, for example, 16 circuits with 2 receptacles each makes no difference.

Just for budget estimating, a MSRP for a major manufacturer, would be $25 - $30 per foot of raceway plus roughly $30 per 20 amp receptacle, depending on type. So a 50' raceway with 32 receptacles would be about $2460.00.

Now that doesn't include shipping or installation or electrical hook up. Electrical hook up could vary widely depending on whether feeder multi is to be replaced or not, if the number of circuits is to remain the same or less, if you have to hire outside Electrical contractor or if the the school has a licensed electrician on staff......etc.

Peter, I'm a little confused. Are you a student who's been tasked with this responsibility or a teacher trying to make ends meet?

If you're a student you can pull as much info as you like but ultimetly a teacher/administrator is going to have final say in how this gets fixed.

I'm sure that the install of lighting was done by Barbizon, Opera Shop or maybe Norcostco here in Denver. Any of the 3 should be able to help you with your situation.

I've been swamped, so sorry for the delay in reply.

@Grog12 I'm a student. I'm not sure who installed our current system- "Central Electric Systems Company" of Denver installed the '72/'73 Hub system. Have you ever heard of them? I searched and found nothing.

@MPowers Thank you very much. I do know that they existing raceway has sockets spaced around 10"- each on their individual circuit. Most of the fixtures on that pipe are PARs and Fresnels and they're pretty packed in there. I'm passing your info on to the tech director and he can decide what he wants to do about it.

Oh, and for anyone that's interested, here's a sample Hub schematic. I have a bunch of these, and I'll probably wind up taking high-res photos of them all. It seems to work pretty well- everything on the schematic is readable. Of course, when I set out to do them all, I'll make sure they're perfectly flat and centered before taking the photo.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.asp...C9157DE99DE0C85A!202&authkey=!AFGpVGHLhJkuT-Q (Click "View Original" to see high-res)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back