Can someone suggest reliable sources of borderlight cable?

MayKitten

I have just "inherited" a theatre built in 1938, and it looks like the last upgrade to the electrics was to change from 2 pin to 2P+g connectors and change the pigtails to 14/3 type SO cable in 1966.

What is bothering me is that two of the four stage electrics and three of the twelve drop boxes are connected with fabric braid covered cable, and the rest of the cables have been upgraded to type S cable at various times from 1954 to 1971. I want to upgrade to a cable that meets current electrical code, and of course, less worn. I will need conductor counts from 18 to 44 conductors.

Who can I trust to supply what I need? Not Anixter please.

Last edited:
Call any theatrical dealer. Odds are it will come through TMB.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

........ I want to upgrade to a cable that meets current electrical code, and of course, less worn. I will need conductor counts from 18 to 44 conductors. Who can I trust to supply what I need? Not Anixter please.

If you don't find a vendor in the Branson area, gives us a call and we'll give you a quote.

If the feed has not been up dated and is in poor or questionable shape, what condition are the raceways in? Not to mention the rest of your rigging and such? When was the last time the facility had a rigging inspection? We will be happy to help with that also.

Agreed in all above - you need a inspection of what has been done, and probably an education yourself in what is permissable. Possible the old stuff is safe over the new stuff. If the cloth covered cable is grounded, would be less worried about it than type SO cable dropped both by way of dry rot and it not persay drop cable proper.

Above two are probably certified stage electricians which I am not, though I would love to re-visit and your local electrical supply shop that is really good and should take care of this or not know enough but needs to. Licenced electrician in your area isn't probably the case in anyone to find for the stage, but you really do have a good electrical supply house I remember last time I was there. Hub of your question locally in both local labor and what's code safe. Start there I think first - though I would love to visit your space. Last time I was in Branson, one of the Osmands I am totally sure stole my 14.4v DeWalt drill. Such a family member totally needed it in not wanting to pay for it while I was installing an Ice Show set. Yes I had a 14.4V cordless drill stolen by one of the Osmand's, and I still want it back. Darned Mormens.

Off month in installing the set, but I was impressed with your local electrical supplier in being able to handle our needs. Love a visit, but think they given your account could arrange something to be worked out. If needed, I'm sure a sales person locally can find a source for replacement drop cable such as 12/14 that's engineered sufficiently for the purpose. Not just about the drop cable but all parts in the system in doing so - this including cord grips on the drop.

If nothing else, fabric coated copper wires have not changed much over the years persay in insulation or ability to continue to use. Problem might become less conductors than needed for including the ground. Want a ground in less circuits perhaps. Overall, the old drop lines even 100 year old, I would think safe given some sections exposed to air should be shortened. Not as worried about the old cable over what's been done.

Yes in seeing 90 year old drop line cable, it was in rubber for the most part dry rot in insulation, but overall for my past seeing what you see for drop line cable, it was fine to work but should be replaced. The more modern stuff will work well, but in an overall sense, what was done years ago, verses the 14/3 drop line later... more suspect about the recent work in not proper.

Last edited:
If by local supplier you mean Harry Cooper Supply, I agree; but they are not theatre people, and multiconductor stage cables are not in their bailiwick. The best they can come up with is crane cables. Graybar is good but not churched either.

I'm sorry about your drill, but I have had similar problems with some of the other religious houses; you got off cheaply. Try lines like: "I know that we agreed on a fee, but would you please donate your work for the glory of God?" And a lot of slow payments and court actions to gain payment of long past due debts. About a third of the theatres in town are on my merda list.

For people who don't know the Branson area, we have more theatres than Broadway, and more theatre seats than permanent residents.

By 14/3 drops I mean the pigtails from the electrics. (I am a LD, not an electrician)

The theatres here must be regularly inspected, and the house manager must be able to show the reports on request. The last electrical, structural, fire and rigging inspections were in March and April this year. Mainly I am replacing the cables from the gridiron junction box to the electric because some of the conductors are dead due to too much flexing. When the upgrade to a grounded system in the electrics, all the asbestos wire in the electrics was removed and replaced with high temperature silicone. The local electrical inspector says that they will be safe for the foreseeable future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back