Candy Questions in Tech 9

In joining two steel plates, what is going to be the strongest bolt to use in considering tension, c

• 1/4-20x3" Gr.8 Hex Head Screw of Ultra-coating

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5/16-18x2" Gr.8 Hex Head Screw of Zinc plating

• 5/16-18x2.1/2" Titanium Hex Head Screw

• 3/8-16x2" Gr.5 Hex Head Screw of Black Oxide Coating

• 3/8-16x3" Hex Head Screw of type #316 Stainless Steel

• 1/2-13x2" Gr.3 Military Spec Hex Head Screw of type 18-8 Stainless Steel

• Total voters
Very good concept, I would definitely trust a domestic brand most (them little triangles and other markings or stamps not designating grade designate manufacturer.) I believe it is however getting more rare for domestic manufacture of bolts however in general. Bolt grading still should have a general factor in tolerances between one bolt to another.

Given Crosby group for instance has a chart for their wire rope clips, as with most other things, it's surprising that there is not something like three ready access charts. I’m thinking tension, compression and sheer, but torsion might also be an extra factor.

Any college kids out there looking for a term paper in their theater engineering classes? I have enough of a loadstone project going on with just lamp specs. Stacks and stacks of paperwork to type into the files and more to research yet. Even starting to add LED lights with screw bases to the notes. Our architectural club install department is starting to sell them putting me both in charged of finding fixtures and lamps, plus knowing the difference thus they have to get added to the notes.

One lamp for instance that came up Monday was on a note from Martin tech briefs that the HMI 1200w/S is no longer the primary lamp for a Mac 2K. It's now the upgraded HTI 1200w/D7/60 also by Osram. Little detail that requires a lot of work to change in the notes. It needs to find it's way to my lamp/fixture combinations page - both of them (one for shop inventory and one for fixtures in general.) Needs to be added to the lamp pricing spreadsheet and I need to start getting quotes on how much the new lamp is going to cost me.

Finally and granted I have been aware of this lamp for almost a year now and was wondering besides the available cooling fin what the difference was or if it was suitable. It was only added to the specifications page of my notes with the preliminary data available from Osram which did and still does not include a part number beyond the temporary one of FO 5166. Short of having a part number, much less as a lamp being added to the Sylvania part of the companies's website, it's going to be very difficult to get the lamp.

This requires constant monitoring of the Sylvania website to see when it gets added in getting a part number and in seeing if the specs change as frequently happens between preliminary data and permanent specs.

This is only one of thousands of lamps I'm tracking developments of constantly. Part of my job at work to be the go to guy on such things. A bolt project thus for me at least is way not realistic now that my periodic vacation from doing lamp specs is over and I’m back into updating the notes again something like three to 20 hours a day every day. Just started to do them again after taking the last month or two off and I have a lot to catch up on. Only about two years behind in some cases now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back