Cans while mixing

Do you wear stage comms during a show whilst mixing SOUND

• Total voters
I only go on cans when something goes wrong. Otherwise, if we have an abundance of extra techies, there's a sound assistant and I stick them with the can most of the time.

You can convert the headphones the 5 pin version is to support stereo head phones. This is fine for someone Other Than the FOH mixer to use. What you hear over headphones is before the speakers before the crossover and depending on what dsp you are using before the dsp, SO What you are hearing is definitely NOT what the audience is hearing. For reference cues or general hearing of the program it is fine but for mixing and hearing what the audience hears it is NOT a good idea.
Headphones in addition to the above have a totally different phase response since the audio on each channel is isolated to each ear so you don't get the effect of phase on your hearing. This is also related to the practice where someone puts in a sound mixer in the booth with the lighting console and closes it off from the audience space, and then uses monitor speakers to mix the sound , again a very poor choice since as above you are not hearing what the audience is hearing
Sharyn

What i do is i have a compleatly jury rigged set-up (hence my rig). Pretty much is just a headphone set up, a switch that turns off the siund from the boards phone jack, and i took an old comm set and took the pins for the speakers in the head set, releayed it to the other headset, and i have a mic set up that kinda looks like one of those sound powered phones talkers use in the navy, with a battery phantom power. Kinda confusing and not very pretty looking, but it works. and the idea that your headphones sound different than the house, is why i mentioned i would never use them during a show involving a flowing theme (ie a music gig, changing mics, etc.). For that i found a comm set that is basically a telephone handset with a big red light that goes off when someone hits the call button, and you just pickup the phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back