Cantilevered Triscuit question...

Doug Lowthian

So using a triscuit system (1/2 ply skins top and bottom, 1x4 interior frame glued and screwed both sides) how far out over a support would you cantilever? 1 foot? 2 foot?

Not an engineer and not able it to hire one. If I can't get a safe answer i just won't do it.

Thanks in advance.

As a rule, 1/3 of a simple span, so if 4' x 4' with support at two opposite edges is fine, then a 16" cantilever is probably fine EXCEPT you really need blocking in the triscuit where it's bearing, so it doesn't crush.

I'm too rusty on my structures to know if some less cantilever and how much is safe without blocking.

Set one up and load it up to say 150 psf, and see if it fails.

What Bill said plus, and I know this will sound pedantic, remember that your far support has to support not only a downward force like a leg; it must also be constructed in such a manner that it resists the upward forces of someone or something standing on the end of that cantilever.

I've done 2' with a triscuit before, but it had 3/4" ply instead of the half. They have a lot more strength and resist bending more than a standard 4x8. With the 1/2" I probably wouldn't push past the 1/3 rule. Anchoring the far end will be your bigger issue. Screw from the top and bottom. Carriage bolt if you can get away with it.

I do like the look of these cantilevered... really clean line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back