Carbon Arc Super Trouper Maintenance

tweeter103

I'm in the process of restoring a couple of Super Troupers, no, not for commercial followspot duties - unfortunately, for all the reasons mentioned in http://www.controlbooth.com/threads/carbon-arc-followspots.32767/#post-288148 and several other posts.
They will be retro special feature/museum pieces.
They have been pulled down, rewired (safely), cleaned, and now being reassembled.
My question is does anyone have a SERVICE/MAINTENANCE manual for the Super? I have the "Instruction Manual".
Specifically what oils and greases?
Fan motor?
Carbon Feed motor?
Lead Screw rod grease?
Any other routine maintenance?
Assuming there may not be a manual, any thoughts on the correct oils and greases?

Here you go! Uploaded it to my server just for you!

http://www.velmadinkley.com/temp/super_trouper.pdf

(you may have to cut & paste due to a linking idiosyncrasy.)

Just don't use any oil based lubes in the lamphouse. (Graphite only)

I don't believe there was a separate "service manual" as this book gave the full parts breakdown as well as alignment. This forum contains a treasure trove of old Super Trouper operators, so feel free to ask any questions.

Last edited:
So it sounds like you have current Troupers that you are reworking. If you need extra parts, shoot me a message. The auditorium that I manage has one or two sitting in an old projection booth. We are going to renovate the booth, so we are looking to get rid of them. Let me know!

So it sounds like you have current Troupers that you are reworking. If you need extra parts, shoot me a message. The auditorium that I manage has one or two sitting in an old projection booth. We are going to renovate the booth, so we are looking to get rid of them. Let me know!

If by "current" you mean relatively late model obsolete carbon arc Super Troupers, then yes, can you shoot me a couple of photos of them. I'm interested working or not if they are carbon arcs. Not interested if xenons. Maybe interested in some parts if they were carbons and were converted to xenon? Where are you?

Last edited:
Totally rewired, back together, and arced up at the first strike. Very happy chappy. She goes out on tour this week on a touring trade show "Cx Roadshow" as the feature piece for the drinks session after the show closes each day. If you are in Australia come along. Sydney Monday 10 Feb. then Canberra, Brisbane, Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 196
Reactions: Ric
If by "current" you mean relatively late model obsolete carbon arc Super Troupers, then yes, can you shoot me a couple of photos of them. I'm interested working or not if they are carbon arcs. Not interested if xenons. Maybe interested in some parts if they were carbons and were converted to xenon? Where are you?

You should give Dallas Convention Center a call. They have at least a half dozen sitting around, having been replaced by xenons... Which are also sitting around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back