Carbon-Arc Super Troupers

Just like a refrigerator! Open the door, worklight comes on (and power to the arc goes off); close the door, worklight goes off (arc power restored). Except you can prove it by looking through the welder's glass window in the door.:)

I did develope an "Arc Burn" on my left wrist from operating a CA Super. Seems there was a slight gap between the door and frame of the reflector chamber, it shone a tiny beam of light right on the crease of my left wrist. After that I always wore gloves.
I still think the fixtures are useful. If you strike an Arc, hold it for 5 seconds, kill the power and then open the door the carbons are sufficiently hot enough to light a cigarette.
Ah the wonders of Outdoor theatre.
< Kids, don't smoke and don't listen to Uncle Van, much>

Just like a refrigerator! Open the door, worklight comes on (and power to the arc goes off); close the door, worklight goes off (arc power restored). Except you can prove it by looking through the welder's glass window in the door.:)

proxy.php

Maybe on them there new-fangled things, but all my switch did was turn the bulb on and off! ;)

Have to use main power to kill the arc! (we used to open the doors all the time :twisted: )

EDIT:
"drawing comes from page 13 of Instructions for Equipment Type Super Trouper 19601-4, 49006-5, 51001-2; October, 1971."
Except for the crude red markings!

Last edited:
My memory could be wrong, or I might be getting Trouper and Super Trouper mixed up. I would have sworn the door switch killed the arc power. After all, I just ran one of these 16 years ago.:rolleyes: Of course it's [-]always best[/-] absolutely required, to:
Remove [LOTO] ALL Sources of Energy before Opening ANY Electrical Enclosure!

JD, you should state that the drawing comes from page 13 of Instructions for Equipment Type Super Trouper 19601-4, 49006-5, 51001-2; October, 1971. It's also possible the fixtures I've used recently were newer models with additional safety features. I think you should buy the ones on auction to check for me.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back