Microphones Carrie Blood Drop

Zachary Tarantino

Hello all,

In the very early stages of planning for Carrie the Musical. For the iconic blood drop, we would love to use a real liquid on stage. Any Advice for protecting a ear set (Countryman e6) for it? Would the protective caps be enough, with a quick stagehand to wipe the mic so the front isn't covered?

First thought is to mute it and have the actor cover it with their hand. Would having it at the forehead, hiding in the hair, be a better approach for protection?

Ill be planning to replace the mic anyway because im sure any plan will fail at some point.

My first thought would be to use a B3, hairline forehead mount pointing downward.

I would call Countryman. They brag a lot about the water resistant capabilities of their mics, ask them what they suggest. My second thought would be to look into buying a Pointsource Audio mic. Water resistance is one of their big sales pitch points.

Countryman folks sometimes will have a can of coke in their booth at trade shows, and take the mic off and dip it in the coke can. You could hear the bubbly fizz. Call Countryman - I bet they will approve a liquid "spill" and cleanup for their mics. Be sure to use a mic with a good cable. Our theatre has 2 or 3 dozen mics (b3, e6), and some of the cords are pretty worn. You do not want liquid intrusion into the cord.

Countryman folks sometimes will have a can of coke in their booth at trade shows, and take the mic off and dip it in the coke can. You could hear the bubbly fizz. Call Countryman - I bet they will approve a liquid "spill" and cleanup for their mics. Be sure to use a mic with a good cable. Our theatre has 2 or 3 dozen mics (b3, e6), and some of the cords are pretty worn. You do not want liquid intrusion into the cord.

Thanks! Yea I'll give them a call and see what they say about our current mics! And yes, I would probably just get a new cable and extra cover the connector

I'm really interested in this. I'm a lighting guy at heart, but a sound engineer/mic wrangler for my theatre's in house theatre company that puts on 5 musicals a year. We use b3's and I cannot count the amount that we've had fail due to actors sweating.

I'm currently touring a production which uses 10x of the Point Source CO8-WD https://www.point-sourceaudio.com/products/microphones/headset/co-8wd-omni/

One month in rehearsals and one month on the road so far, not a single failure yet. IP57 rated. Boom bends with no hassle, make a 360 if you'd want to. I almost feel like the spares I'm carrying are just a waste of space on the truck.

Thanks for the info!

Gave countryman a call, they said they are confident that the B3s would be alright as long as we give them a wipe after the show and cover the connector on the pack. I think Ill just have to buy an extra or two anyway.

Thanks all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back