Castle Wall "Reveal"

pmolsonmus

Hi,

Did a search and have a pretty good idea of how to build the walls but thought someone out in Control Booth land might be able to help. The wall area I'm describing would be about 30' wide and 12-16' tall with some elevated platforms for acting areas in front of the wall.

In 2014 we plan to bring back our Madrigal Dinner. We have since added a black box to our school and the walls that we used to use for the dinner no longer exist. We are planning a musical revue in February of 2013 and as a cost saver and a way to not "reinvent the wheel" my thoughts are to do songs from musicals set in a castle (there are lots) and start the construction process now.

Ideally we could buy/rent/paint a backdrop, but I'd really like to have rigid walls that could be used year after year. My concept is to begin the show with "Another Openin" from Kiss Me Kate and literally have the wall and set pieces appear during the 3 minute song. The "wow" effect.

There is no fly space but we do have a moveable powered truss that handles light and sound where the wall could "appear".

My thoughts are to build 4 x 8 luan walls with carved rigid insulation and frame them together. I would like to be able to allow backstage crossing behind the wall if possible and we can't screw into the floor, so some sort of bracket or wagon would probably be necessary if we don't fly the walls. The truss will handle 3,000 lbs so we're ok there.

View attachment Madrigal Wall.pdfAttached is a pic of what I'm imagining. I'm wondering if there would be a way to "hinge" the wall and just attach and elevate the truss in the opening song or???

Thanks in advance CB!

Phil

Phil,

A few thoughts.

1) You shouldn't try to fly this wall (or any hard set pieces) without the active involvement of an experienced rigging professional. There's too much risk involved, and too many tiny details to keep your eye on, both in construction and rigging methods, to tackle this with advice from the internet. Besides, if you have lighting, etc on the truss, I don't see flying it during the show as a desirable option.

2) What about hiding and revealing the wall with a curtain, scrim, etc? This could go on a traveler track, or you could make a kabuki system.

3) You could put each wall segment on a smallish wagon, with a jack brace and sandbags and push them into place individually.

4) Perhaps you could accomplish the reveal with only lighting. Start the number in darkness, with just follow spot on signers, then light everything with a big dramatic cue.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

1. Will get a rigger involved if that is the route chosen. I don't need added risk when dealing with 100 teenagers!

2. The hiding thing is a thought but there's not a lot of room and no real wing space in a black box theater

3. That is an option I'm considering but again room is kind of an issue with open room, but walls couldn't really be hidden and we only have 7ft doorways into the space

4. Lights need to be on in the space for audience entrance

Could you have the wagons in place, just turned around, the backs could look like very theatrical flats, distressed and with show info on them and stage braces, then turned around.

Hi John,

That's kind of the idea I was floating around with. Is there a way to make 12' walls (even light luan/foam ones) sturdy on a narrow wagon (about 2' deep or less?) My thought would be 4 - 8' wide x 2' deep x 12' high wagons but how to prevent them from tipping? The 2' depth would allow for crossing behind the wall, jack braces or other become problematic. Would sand bags be enough and safe? Or ??? Would they be better not on wheels? A bit harder to move but more secure?

Build the wagons 8' long by 2' wide with fairly heavy duty construction (2x4 and 3/4" plywood). Throw a bunch of sand bags, or my favorite dead weight cinder blocks on them, and it should be plenty sturdy. Get the wheels as far apart as possible. Put a jack on each end and one in the middle. I've put an 8'x8' flat on a 8'x18" truck with no issues. You can't jump around on the truck or anything but it's stable.

Hi,

Thanks for the info. Building is going to begin soon. One question, is there a recommended way to attach rigid insulation to luan 4 x 8s. I realize I could use liquid nails or something like it, but with a reusable wall and long term in mind is there a better adhesive? I'm thinking something along the lines of the mastic used for ceramic tiles. Is there a similar product that could be put on the luan with a trowel? Other thoughts?

Off the top of my head there's an adhesive that comes in tube form that is safe for foam, as in it won't eat it, I can't think specifically which one but it says. I suspect someone like Les or someone else will come along with the name. You can find it in any paint department. I would close that over a spray adhesive. I think rosco may offer something like what you are thinking, again I apologize for the vagueness of this semi helpful post, it's been a long day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Common use is 3M 30NF "Green glue" contact adhesive. Other water-based contact adhesives can work as well. As mentioned, some tube glues (Liquid Nails, Power Grab, etc) work, some don't. Depends on the solvent. The tube should tell you. Rosco Crystal Gel also works as an adhesive. For speed on smaller applications, we use the spray adhesive Super Tak Foam and Fabric by Bostik. A bit hard to find, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back