Cat5 Extension

LPdan

We just rerouted some installed CAT5e being used for DMX to simple RGB LED tape controllers. Unfortunately, the new route is making the cable a few feet too short.
Pulling an entire new cable would be a pretty significant effort. I have a couple options I'm considering:
1. CAT5 punchdown junction box (actually designed for this)
2. Solder/Shrink Tubing

Any opinions or other recommendations? This would be in a drop ceiling above panel, so accessible. Thanks!

Punch-down coupler, no question. For the low cost of $6.50(amazon prime eligible), you can do it right, and not have someone in the future cursing your name.

Assuming you're just running DMX512 directly over the CAT5 cable, and not using some Ethernet-based protocol like Art-net with converter nodes to get the DMX512 out, then either option should work in practice. The punch-down block would be preferable and "more correct" in my estimation. The RJ45 extender connectors are a perfectly reasonable option, as well, and would likewise be preferable to soldering.

If you're using Art-net or something similar, I would very definitely avoid the soldered splices, though you very well might be able to get away with it most of the time.

Punchdown. Soldering twisted pair strands is an absolute nightmare. If I were you I would not bet your show on it.

- Nick

A word of caution on the "RJ-45" connectors ( / coupler / barrel ): I have tested several of these type of unmarked connectors in a cable string with a Fluke Versiv certification tool and they will not pass CAT 5e standards. They are an electrical connector for phone service only and are not transparent to data. I would recommend that if you need to join 2 cables that you only use CAT rated pass through keystone jacks.

Last edited by a moderator:
A word of caution on the "RJ-45" connectors ( / coupler / barrel ): I have tested several of these type of unmarked connectors in a cable string with a Fluke Versiv certification tool and they will not pass CAT 5e standards. They are an electrical connector for phone service only and are not transparent to data. I would recommend that if you need to join 2 cables that you only use CAT rated pass through keystone jacks.
Obviously, DMX512 is no where near CAT 5E spec, but you're right, barrel couplers are terribly unreliable. We use CAT5 for our proprietary network, and a lot of failures are from installers not heeding our warning and using couplers.

You can run a cat 5e to the moon and back - what you use it for is the limitation.

You're talking about Ethernet, but the OP is talking about DMX-512.
@Chris Pflieger Was it CAT 3 or CAT 4 they used to send back the images of the sleeping German Shepherd?
Would they have to have upgraded to CAT 5 if he woke up and started to run??
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

The sleeping German Shepherd would have woken up if he'd detected a CAT near him, 3, 4, 5/e or whatever.

Which reminds me, am I the only person who misreads the ad at the top of the page as "We laughed, we cried, it was better than CAT5"?
Ahhh! Perhaps not if they'd run shielded CAT, the shield would've / could've kept the feline's Phurry-moanes captured within its Z-folded foil wrapped shield. @jtweigandt You're a vet', care to comment?
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

With shielded CAT I have been able to transmit a reliable signal all the way to the Heaviside Layer.
Using unshielded can get you a strange effect resulting in your actors appearing too large or too small,
in addition they can have a strange video distortion that results in the uneven appearance of an ugly felt/fur like effect
all over their body, but sometimes not covering it all. Bottom line.. spring for the shielded, because when they look to place blame
McCavity's not there.

With shielded CAT I have been able to transmit a reliable signal all the way to the Heaviside Layer.
Using unshielded can get you a strange effect resulting in your actors appearing too large or too small,
in addition they can have a strange video distortion that results in the uneven appearance of an ugly felt/fur like effect
all over their body, but sometimes not covering it all. Bottom line.. spring for the shielded, because when they look to place blame
McCavity's not there.
IOW, it hacks up hairballs, but only on twisted pair and then disappears. Are you writing for WandaVision? 🤯

If I was there would be an NDA, and the NDA would preclude me from confirming the existence of the NDA.
In short, not even I know if I'm writing for Wandavision.

"I just had my brain washed and I can't do a thing with it!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back