Catastrophic lamp failures

Discussion in 'Lighting and Electrics' started by icewolf08, Apr 2, 2009.

1. JD

JD Well-Known Member

Ahh!
    HPL that turned into an HELP
    Still waiting for this thread to fetch a nice Xenon failure! Of course, generally they are so traumatic nobody things to take a picture!

2. ship

ship Senior Team Emeritus Premium Member

Most likely a finger %@&! - touched lamp given what I see. Good advice would be to inspect the rest of your fixtures, see if evidence of this problem further from a saff member. Re-Re train your staff on properly installing lamps. No' they didn't do it but re-training on proper installation of a lamp is a easy.

3. ship

HPL lamps might have a little xenon in them but it's not persay a xenon lamp. It is a halogen lamp and the normal cause of such a failure is someone touching the lamp with oily or dirty fingers, or a dirty lamp all of which absorbs heat when on the very pure quartz glass of the lamp. The glass as if a reflector or collector dependant on the circumstance becomes cooler or hotter than the halogen effect cycle in ballooning the lamp globe before it stretches until it bursts. The tungsten electodes of the tungsten halgen filament cycle is attracted or repelled to a lamp globe problem in causing a lamp failure.

4. firewater88

firewater88 Active Member

That shouldn't be to rough to retrain the staff, I'll just have to use a mirror and talk to my self even more than I already do!
    Not saying it's not a bare finger touch, but that's unlikely, more likely a dusty lamp or just bad lamps. That one had a date code that was fairly old and probably already had a lot of hours on it.
    I have long since switched over to Osram lamps anyway, so I know that one is old. Had a whole box of those USHIO go total black all around the same time in my lobby S4s.

DELO72 likes this.
  5. TNasty

TNasty Active Member

Technical Adviser. Aux Police Officer.
    Consistency is key!

We've pretty much only bought from Osram. The only exceptions would be our follow spot FEL's (Impact), mover Halides (Phillips), and Altman strip lights (Something).

DELO72 likes this.
  6. DELO72

DELO72 Well-Known Member

7. JonCarter

JonCarter Well-Known Member

Happily retired
  8. techieman33

techieman33 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately GE is no longer making theatrical lamps. Which really sucks, my old strand LEKO's loved GE FEL's. And the Osrams that we use now don't last nearly as long, and depending on which version we get don't even fit in our 2200 series fixtures. The ones with the metal base and rounded corners fit fine. The ones that are all ceramic have sharp corners and won't fit in the sockets.

RonHebbard likes this.
  9. RonHebbard

RonHebbard Well-Known Member Premium Member

10. JonCarter

Happily retired
  11. JD

JD Well-Known Member

I'm afraid GE is only focused on the mega-dollar products for large commercial and government operations. When it comes to consumer products, they are only a "brand" that gets licensed out to many other companies. This migration started many years ago. For example, all their consumer electronics branding was sold in 1988 to Thomson Consumer Electronics.

12. derekleffew

derekleffew Resident Curmudgeon Senior Team Premium Member

Ah yes, in the olden days of 750T12/9 being the standard lamp for Lekos, GE was the best; Westinghouse the worst. Sylvania somewhere in the middle. "Foreign" meant Thorn. There were no Asian imports.

13. Jeff Lelko

Jeff Lelko Active Member

So I had a sealed beam Par 64 lamp blow its lens off last weekend. No broken glass and the lamp tube itself is still intact, but the whole thing ended up in about 6 pieces from the force of the pop (can, lens, lamp reflector, socket, retaining ring, rear of can). It made that wonderful loud 'bang' too... All the necessary safety hardware was in place so nothing fell, but I've never seen one go like that!

14. JonCarter

Happily retired
  15. RonHebbard

16. JonCarter

Happily retired
  17. Scarrgo

Scarrgo Well-Known Member

Technical Director, JAPAC L'Anse Creuse P.S.
    One day in the shop we were setting up some MR-16 4 cir strips for a demo, one of the guys grabbed a rack and plugged them in, as he turned on the breakers the came on super nova bright for about 3 seconds, then went out...so he grabbed another strip, same thing happened, grabbed another strip, same thing, while grabbing the 4th strip someone asked what he was doing, he explained his dilemma, and the guy freaked out on him as he had blown 60+ MR-16 lamps by running 208v thru them.
    After asking why he didnt ask for help after the first one went super nova, his response was...."I thought it was odd, must have been something wrong...." was a lovely day...and here's your sign...

RonHebbard likes this.
  18. RonHebbard

19. Scarrgo

Scarrgo Well-Known Member

Technical Director, JAPAC L'Anse Creuse P.S.
    oh he parked so much that he got a parking and a loitering ticket.....

RonHebbard likes this.
  20. ship

Makes me feel better about the PAR 36 pinspot lamps I blew up in series to get line voltage - but miscalculated. Or the dozens of halogen lamps I touched early in my career. Doesn't make me feel better about the employee fired because he did something without proper supervision. And a mistake once educated about would never be made again. Granted three times is a chime, but where was the supervision during all of this?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice