Catastrophic lamp failures

I thought someone was playing with a lighting strike....and I did something like that when the shop sent out the wrong voltage ACL's...I didnt check, just installed, oh look, bright light...for a sec...lol

They didnt fire him, but moved him back to being the truck driver, and there are a couple of funny head smacking storys about his driving also, but different thread....

He was a nice enough guy but he had what we called the "crow syndrome", wanted to do all the fun things, but than would wine because someone else was driving the truck, his truck...

Unfortunately GE is no longer making theatrical lamps. Which really sucks, my old strand LEKO's loved GE FEL's. And the Osrams that we use now don't last nearly as long, and depending on which version we get don't even fit in our 2200 series fixtures. The ones with the metal base and rounded corners fit fine. The ones that are all ceramic have sharp corners and won't fit in the sockets.

I know you posted this a while back, but I remember a thread about this a few years ago.

*Meekly raises his hand*. Mea culpa. That would be us. Guilty as charged.

Back in 2007 we had a few production lots where our ceramic supplier mis-read a 3 as an 8 on a spec. in the curvature of the base, and we had a few G9.5 bases that didn't fit into about 10% of the sockets on the market (some older TP220 ones with VERY tight tolerances). It didn't get noticed at first because they still fit in the other 90% out there... We eventually switched later that year over to all aluminum G9.5s to avoid the issue in future runs. We haven't had any problems since.

Question to the original poster is- Are they Ceramic bases, and if so, are they OSRAM? If the answer is no to either one, then your issue is most likely the socket itself being made on the extremely low end of a tolerance. FLKs and GLAs use the exact same G9.5 base, so it's not the base under normal circumstances.

On a job site yesterday at a hotel for Destination PlayStation and I saw this gem.
327332C2-9163-4A2D-8772-8DB3220D9F8C.jpeg
5BED6C1C-C245-42A1-8CE1-D12F58CD64A2.jpeg

I couldn’t help but laugh. Phillips what are you doing....

Btw that’s plastic if anyone was wondering. I doubt they saved any money using what they think was less plastic and spent more money on design and the extruder die to mold that.

I didn’t turn it on as I couldn’t believe what I saw.

I have one of those, works well, I use it in an outside light....light is pretty even as far as I can tell

Sean...

On behalf of the lamp Manufacturers, I want to lobby the Controlbooth.com folks to unpin this thread. It depresses me every time I log in and see the Thread title at the top and makes me paranoid there is a new issue. Let it die!

On behalf of the lamp Manufacturers, I want to lobby the Controlbooth.com folks to unpin this thread. It depresses me every time I log in and see the Thread title at the top and makes me paranoid there is a new issue. Let it die!
@DELO72 Mark; Granted I'm blind and know less than zilch about computers but you must be viewing Control Booth differently from myself as this thread only comes up for me when someone posts to it. Basically, I hadn't seen this thread for quite some time until you posted and dredged it up again. I view Control Booth via the last version of Google Chrome to support Win XP.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

I think he means cause it’s sticky. Some people don’t hit new posts or visit everyday like we do.

I think he means cause it’s sticky. Some people don’t hit new posts or visit everyday like we do.
@Amiers @DELO72 Understood. My point is Mark and I must somehow be viewing Control Booth differently as, speaking for myself, once I've read the thread in question it only appears for me when someone adds a new post to the thread. As far as I can see, there's nothing sticky about. The place I see sticky posts all the time is on the ProSound LAB. To clarify, from my perspective, I understand what Mark's saying, and appreciate his concerns, but on my screen I can't see the 'problem'. I know from nothing about viewing "styles" but I think I view via what you refer to as "CB-XEN"
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

518EEF5C-D0BF-41C2-9191-65CFFE2554F7.jpeg

@Amiers @DELO72 Understood. My point is Mark and I must somehow be viewing Control Booth differently as, speaking for myself, once I've read the thread in question it only appears for me when someone adds a new post to the thread. As far as I can see, there's nothing sticky about. The place I see sticky posts all the time is on the ProSound LAB. To clarify, from my perspective, I understand what Mark's saying, and appreciate his concerns, but on my screen I can't see the 'problem'. I know from nothing about viewing "styles" but I think I view via what you refer to as "CB-XEN"
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Ron,

It's "Pinned" or "Sticky" by the forum Moderators. That is the little thumbtack icon you see on the top right. It signifies that it is a thread that is locked to always stay at the top of the L&E forum. I'm not sure why you are lucky enough not to see it, but it shows up at the top for me each time I log in, even if no one has posted in a while. So... David or Mark-- Help a fellow out and remove the thumbtack please!

You only see it if you go to forums. I suspect Ron may do as I do, only click on "New Posts", and never see the "stickies".

Specifically: you only see it as a stickie *if you go to the Board index for a specific forum*.

If you only use New Posts or Recent Posts (as many Old Hats do), you won't see it unless someone posts to it.

It's there in the area of the welcome part title section but seemingly isn't used much. Given it's called what it is, I can see how Mark has this concern - our repair department at this point replaces just as many if not more LED bad strips or nodes to lamps at this point, yet its not a light source in general topic (which would be useless.) Certainly know I replace possibly as much bad LED tape as I see specific problems with mover lamps or halogen types I'm ready to go even private about for most lamps at this point. There are trends I see but nothing formed up you, and certainly nothing I would go public with.

Given the lack of use on the constant topic at the head of the discussions, and its lack of use... might be more useful for a topic if brought up when it gets brought up for individual posts.

Last edited:
Just found this hanging out of one of the cyc light. The lamp melted a hole in the reflector.....

Attachments

• photo_2018-09-11_10-44-11.jpg
    photo_2018-09-11_10-44-11.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 456
  • photo_2018-09-11_10-44-09.jpg
    photo_2018-09-11_10-44-09.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 451
  • photo_2018-09-11_10-44-03.jpg
    photo_2018-09-11_10-44-03.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 422
That was definitely a lamp which was touched by the hand. Must have been a good quality brand of lamp for the filament to last that long.

Expand that one reflecteor melted thru by about 48x. One summer we had 8 cyc's come back with melted down or seriously burnt reflectors. Never seen that before... Only thing I could figure was the person prepping the lights cleaned the reflectors with GoofOff instead of denatured alcohol. Couldn't reproduce the problem other than with this in testing all cleaning materials in the department.

I had a similar thing happen where a FOH par (I didn't put it there) had a lamp blow with such force it took a piece of lens. The scary thing was that the lamp explosion was powerful enough to crack the lens and send a chunk flying down 20 feet into the audience, but when the piece hit the floor it stayed as one. The explosion of the lamp must have been more powerful than the fall back to Earth (scary stuff). Theres also a large dent in the lamp housing from it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back