Catwalk trouble? MORE LIKE COMMUNICATION ERROR!

So...worst communication ever.

My lighting crew and I had two nights to get the lighting cues situated before opening night. I had planned for my crew to meet me in the Performing Arts Center to help me out. Basically I told them to come in that night, but forgot to tell them to bring the key to the outside door to get in, because it was locked. I had wanted them to help me haul a few source fours up to the catwalk to replace the lekos up there. So here I am, ten o'clock at night waiting for them to arrive. (They were really outside banging on the door trying to get in) After waiting for a half hour I figured I could attempt to do it myself.

Now, normally one person would climb up to the catwalk above the audience and feed a cable through one of the removable trapdoors. Then another person on the ground beneath them would secure the lamp on the safety cable and the light would be pulled carefully up to the catwalk. Easy right? But remember, I was the only one there. So sighing I had to bring 5 HEAVY source fours up the 45' catwalk later by myself. My hands were never chaffed so badly...plus I am not exactly the strongest one there. Being a girl and only 130 pounds...with no muscles, I suck at life. This took me an hour and a half to complete this.

I did end up opening the door to find my comrades after I was closing up the auditorium....lets just say they were not very happy with me.

ALWAYS MAKE SURE YOU CAN CLEARLY COMMUNICATE WITH YOUR CO-WORKERS~

:D

...Then another person on the ground beneath them would secure the lamp on the safety cable and the light would be pulled carefully up to the catwalk. ...
A lighting safety cable should not be used to haul a fixture. The proper method is a bowline tied directly around the yoke.

Likewise, one should not carry anything that can't be secured to one's body up a ladder. Remember the "three points of contact" rule.

Lastly, Never work alone in a theatre. Should you fall or get injured, how long do you want to wait, writhing in pain, until someone finds you?

I have to agree with all sentiments. A bowline is a much safer lift, or a clove hitch even.
Three point contact is very important when climbing ladders (especially really tall ones).
Never work in the theatre alone! Always have your cell handy.

That sucks had you known they were stuck outside the whole time, you could of had help...
Not only that, but you very well may of killed yourself, and not been discovered until morning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back