CB loses one of our own

LavaASU

We've lost one of our own. Renowned CB member Mike, @mstaylor, left this world yesterday for better place. He helped out LAVA for years as our unofficial rigging consultant and spent many many hours teaching me various things and giving advice. He will be missed very much.

Our thoughts and hearts go out to the Taylor family. Mike was a great member of the community, offering his expertise to all who asked, and he will be missed greatly.

We just lost one of CB's most faithful and generous members. Over the last 4 1/2 years Michael Taylor has helped countless people out with his 2840 posts. His posts received 209 likes, a sign that he shared information that was truly valued by the community. Privately he shared advice and friendship with many others including myself.

Please share your thanks and thoughts of MSTaylor here. The CB staff will do our best to pass it along to his loved ones.

A sobering night indeed here at ControlBooth. Michael was among my favorite CB contributors. I considered him to be one of the most trusted, professional voices here in our niche community. I, and many others, enormously appreciated his time and his expertise which he offered up here for others as they navigate our industry.

I will miss him.

Definitely a sad day for our community and the entertainment community as a whole.

MMicolai summed up my thoughts for sure, it will certainly be different around here without him.

Via tapatalk

I spoke with Michael often on Facebook, and enjoyed our rigging discussions. I will miss his presence immensely.

Wow, this comes as a huge shock. Is there any possibility that we could set up a donation fund for the Taylor family, and/or perhaps make contributions to Behind The Scenes in Michael's name?

If you are interested in participating in some sort of a group donation send a private message to @dvsDave. We are working on contacting the family in the name of CB.

RIP mstaylor.

your knowledge and willingness to help others through this forum will be missed.

With sympathy,
Ethan

Saddened by the loss.

My condolences to his family,

SB

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Such a loss. I'm going to miss him so much. He was truly an asset to our community.

He was one of the most professional voices in our community. He was a true wealth of knowledge. Far too young to go.

He will be missed. I may not post a lot, but simply reading what he posted has helped myself and many others to advance in our technical theater interests. Condolences to the family.

I am shocked to read this. I enjoyed reading his contributions to the discussions and I will miss his knowledge and well reasoned writing. Unfortunately I never knew him outside of this forum so that is all that I know him by. So I send my condolences to those who counted him among their friends and have lost so much more.

Peace,
Dover

I have tried to explain to my wife and my "meet space" friends about my "virtual friends", but they don't understand how I could feel like you are my friends. I've never seen most of you in person. I don't even know what 99.9% of you look like. How can I possibly feel like we are friends? But I do.

Many of us, have been on this site nearly daily for years. We have shared the joy and frustration of thousands of shows together. Helped the clueless and discussed minute details of NEC code. We've kept people safe and perhaps even saved a life or two. Over and over, those of you I have had the chance to meet face to face, have quickly become real life friends. WHY? Why would so many complete strangers find it so easy to connect. The answer is we share a common joy for helping others, growing in our own knowledge, and a love of this virtual space. CB is OURS. WE built it. WE share it. WE protect it. DvsDave may be the one who paid for the domain name, but this isn't really his site and he knows it. It's OUR site. OUR thoughts. OUR community. Our friends.

Although I never spoke a word to Michael in person, only shared a few private messages with him, never met his wife, never worked with him in person, I'm sad today. Someone who shares my passion for this very special place and community is no longer with us. Someone who loved to share his knowledge and help others, just like we all do, is no longer in our community. I feel sad at the loss of a "stranger" because his passion for what we do here on CB was a strong as mine, and now it's gone from the world. Because we share that passion, for this place and what we do here, we have found that we are not really strangers after all.

This community will go on, but there will always be something missing without MSTaylor's voice.

Very well said Gaff.....

Rest in Peace Mike. It is neat to think though that his contributions to this page will continue helping others for years to come.
My condolences to his family,

-James-

Rest in Peace Mike. It is neat to think though that his contributions to this page will continue helping others for years to come.

That really is amazing when you think of it. Mike left us 5 years worth of advice scattered through 2800 posts, his thoughts, his advice, his passion for teaching and helping others will be forever preserved and available for future generations to read and learn from until the end of the internet.

I never thought about CB that way. We are not just building a community for today, we are building a legacy for the future. A record of how tech theater was done at the turn of the 21st century. 100 years from now theater students will read our posts and laugh at the insanity of using incandescent lighting, just as we are amused by Lime Light. Imagine if you could go back and read the thoughts of the best people in the tech theater community in 1914, 1814, or just 14! We are building that record for the future. Hundreds of years from now, people will be able to come here and read it all from our silly debate over metric vs imperial measurements to the day we all stopped to mourn the loss of our brother Mike. That's pretty cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back