CB: Technical Forum or English Class?

How tolerant should CB members be toward abuse of the Language Arts?

• Total voters
We must also remember that not all of our members are from the US. To some, English may even be a second language. (For me, typing is!) In any case, content is far more important. We risk insulting or alienating member by over correction. In a field that uses so many specialized names, content can sometimes be damaged by poor grammar or spelling. In those cases, it is worth pointing out.

Is it absolutely necessary? No. Does it make you as a writer look and sound smarter? Yes. A misspelled word or two, or even a mis-placed comma or two isn't the end of the world. Some people don't even realize they aren't properly typing. To answer a question (or ask one, for that matter) doesn't require picture perfect grammar and spelling. Yes, there are tools to help you - download Firefox with its built in spell checker. But blatantly obvious misspellings and grammar mistakes should be corrected in the kindest possible way.

P.S. What is the current status quo on this topic? I would say the current status quo is "Mildly Strict."

spell checker is a good concept (note me not capatilizing the first word in the sentence.) On the other hand has to be a bit of give and sway in being cop verses letting it go, I don't see a problem with balance and certainly not much calling others when they call a lamp a bulb though its like grinding the teeth for me when I hear it somehow.

Respecting foreign language of course - including that of UK verses US for both of us, still all well and good to communicate but part of that is being understood and I at least would hope that help is taken in the best sense rather than in the critical sense.

Main concept I would suspect is ability to understand the thoughts of those posting, product name recognition and if nothing else education also a partial role. Fourty years old and I still can't spell restraunt or maintinence properly. One would hope others possibly with nudging can learn better. This much less my run-ons and base writing skill.

Just as I would hope others excell beyond where I got, I would hope others excell in all ways and thank especially derekleffew at times watching over all of us as with others.

I, for one, am a lover of the English language and have attempted, through the years, to speak and write it correctly. With English being the internationally recognized language of all things technical, I think that it behooves us all to be able to communicate well and precisely, particularly when we are trying to describe a problem with which we are trying to deal and asking for assistance in the diagnosis and solving of said problem.

That being said, I realize that many of the people with whom I deal on a daily basis, college students primarily, have difficulty understanding what I am trying to convey to them. Often times, I must repeat myself to one of my student techs who has a vacant and uncomprehending expression, while slowly nodding their head as though they truly understand what it is that I am telling them. When I see that expression, I know that I must then restate myself in much simpler terms.

While I am sure that to some I sound quite like a pompous a**, who has an affectation and affection for the overt usage of nonessential and excessive verbiage, I delight in the knowledge that I can communicate with others on a level that goes beyond....."what up dog?".

Just having a giggle,

Rich

I am terrible at typing, and often don't go back to make sure I put the letters in the correct order. I know I should correct it and thus do not mind people reminding me because it is a bad habit. However,
Now see, right there, is that's my predicament.
Sentences like the above REALLY bug me. I'll sit there going over and over it in my head to try to make sense of it or figure out why it seems wrong. In the above sentence it couldv'e went "right there, is the thing...." or right there, that's my prediciment"

I voted to be relaxed about grammar, but only because I feel like it is a slipperly slope. Once I start to correct on big things, I also want to point out those smaller mistakes as well. Of course, the slope does go both ways, but people tend to dislike you less when you don't correct their grammar.

I am terrible at typing, and often don't go back to make sure I put the letters in the correct order. I know I should correct it and thus do not mind people reminding me because it is a bad habit. However,

Sentences like the above REALLY bug me. I'll sit there going over and over it in my head to try to make sense of it or figure out why it seems wrong. In the above sentence it could've went "right there, is the thing...." or right there, that's my predicament"

I don't blame you. Technically,

Isn't correct, because to fully extrapolate it would be:

Now see, right there, is that is my predicament.

There's an extra "is" in that sentence. That's probably why it didn't make sense. We don't know - is he asking "Is that my predicament?" or is he saying, "That is my predicament." Judging from the original post, I would have to say the latter.
Sorry, Derek

Last edited:
...Now see, right there, is that's my predicament. ...
De nada, lieperjp. http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/members/lieperjp.htmlJust like everyone else, occasionally my fingers want to type "is the thing" while my brain decides "that's my predicament" would be better. I don't proofread every one of my posts, and I'm not saying everyone must, either. All of us get tripped up by homonyms occasionally. In the case of post#8, an otherwise grammatically flawless post, it appeared to me as an error of ignorance rather than laziness, and to me, detracted from the message. Thus I decided the OP would appreciate a correction, as it makes him appear less learned than he most likely is. Another of our members constantly confuses "then" and "than". I corrected him once; he said he just couldn’t tell the difference, so I dropped it. I won't be hiring him to do any writing for me, and he's fine with that, as he doesn't care to be a writer anyhow.

I'm willing to over look most grammatical, and even spelling, errors, except the theater-specific terms included in this list: http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/...pelling-theatrical-brands-products-terms.html, which is constantly being updated. For a person who loves theatre to not take the time to learn to spell related terms and specifically names is unacceptable and inexcusable, in my opinion.

De nada, lieperjp. http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/members/lieperjp.htmlJust like everyone else, occasionally my fingers want to type "is the thing" while my brain decides "that's my predicament" would be better. I don't proofread every one of my posts, and I'm not saying everyone must, either. All of us get tripped up by homonyms occasionally. In the case of post#8, an otherwise grammatically flawless post, it appeared to me as an error of ignorance rather than laziness, and to me, detracted from the message. Thus I decided the OP would appreciate a correction, as it makes him appear less learned than he most likely is. Another of our members constantly confuses "then" and "than". I corrected him once; he said he just couldn’t tell the difference, so I dropped it. I won't be hiring him to do any writing for me, and he's fine with that, as he doesn't care to be a writer anyhow.

I'm willing to over look most grammatical, and even spelling, errors, except the theater-specific terms included in this list: http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/...pelling-theatrical-brands-products-terms.html, which is constantly being updated. For a person who loves theatre to not take the time to learn to spell related terms and specifically names is unacceptable and inexcusable, in my opinion.

Well said, Derek, Well said.

Often times, I must repeat myself to one of my student techs who has a vacant and uncomprehending expression, while slowly nodding their head as though they truly understand what it is that I am telling them. When I see that expression, I know that I must then restate myself in much simpler terms.

While I am sure that to some I sound quite like a pompous a**, who has an affectation and affection for the overt usage of nonessential and excessive verbiage, I delight in the knowledge that I can communicate with others on a level that goes beyond....."what up dog?".
Rich

Much less I'm also glad "Dude" has been replaced somehow - pull up your pants already...

Repeat oneself in saying again even in email form of already having advised - this beyond having trained and it forgotton because it's not yet immediate enough to get yet. Loved when at times my school TD with a glass door would walk about the shop than go back and slam the door with such force it got both broken glass and a message across. Limited times I have been able to do that also has had the same effect.

Earlier today I stood holding up a spray paint holding cabinet one of my assistants had gotten ready to mount to a rack post. Told him specifically how to mount it in him already having admitted in the past he doesn't even if Union carpenter, knew much about engineering. Didn't follow the directions so instead of removing one problematic thru-bolt in re-drilling after the other three were in that did align, I stood there, removed it for adjustmant than stood there again in wasting my time while he tried to make it fit. This with carriage bolts and nylock nuts. That at least he did listen to in me further holding the cabinet out of replacing and recognizing the concept of them not getting along. Slow learning process in general constant I find often at best in not being able to pass on what directions I might because those given direction are not ready to fully understand what concept passed on in following them.

Still, not pompous that I could see in even me at times correcting my Mom in say proper English than feeling like an idiot when such a concept like "please" gets an awkaward moment in me having let such a normal thing for me to let slip out. Mom even said a sware word this past weekend... Amazed and I made the mistake of calling her on it. Not that at times I don't also for effect.

Still that balance of education for that sense verses offending is on both parts I would hope understood by all parties so as not to take offense personally, just note by both also. At times stepped over the line and at times needed advise to learn with.

Believe it's rule #10, something about understanding what the TD said in the TD never being wrong. Has real refrence in general including language skills.

My paying job, in part, is to transcribe television programs and create closed captions for the hearing impaired. I'm a bit of a stickler when it comes to grammar, and especially homonyms, though less so punctuation. I've had occasion to train a handful of people to transcribe, and it usually leaves me pulling my hair out. I'll often speak the following sentence pair and ask the trainee to type what I say: "Are you looking for Bob and Angie? They're over there on their couch." No one ever gets it the first time...

What occurs on ControlBooth often irks me. In correcting a poster's various errors, they are glaringly pointed out. The mistakes are sometimes corrected in the original post, highlighted in a different color. Or they may be quoted in reply, and the poster taken to task. The poster, in a way, is demeaned for his imperfections.

If the moderators' goal is to make each post readable, correct in spelling, and sensible, why not simply edit the offending post for errors without pointing them out? The "last edited by" tag at the bottom of the post could contain a note that it was edited for spelling and grammar.

Tip for the day: When proofreading, read from right to left, end to beginning. When reading in the traditional English method, the mind has a tendency to ignore errors, choosing to see what it expects to see.

If the moderators' goal is to make each post readable, correct in spelling, and sensible, why not simply edit the offending post for errors without pointing them out? The "last edited by" tag at the bottom of the post could contain a note that it was edited for spelling and grammar.

PM's are often slow to help if at all in taking a concept off line and not public, the goal as it were is to help not to grammer cop.

Editing a post could be really bad. Could have been intended to be that way and that could be important, much less who learns what from an edit other than it suddenly changed and that change didn't stream from the thoughts of the poster? I could be offended by an edit except often edits to my posts often catch stuff I didn't see and always welcome that help. Not all might feel that way. Editing a post in my opinion would be really bad. Intent is to help at times both technically and if possibly professionally in ways such as in spelling at times if of help at times. What's said is also in part a specific feeling out of the person writing it. Editing it would limit the ability to understand persay at times the level the person writing is at in rating what advice to give to the person. Not always but at times ability to write proper - or something approaching that is important in feeling out the writer.

Their efforts to re-post a corrected statement is their choice be it in an edit or re-posting of the statement after the correction. Such corrections being viewed as personal or a help for all also very weighted.

Now can anyone help me to spell restraunt without me having to switch to diner all the time?

Me in knowing better don't but I can't seem to on that or the proper maintinence. For me mental block in being able to find or remember.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ship--it's probably a Chicago thing; you grew up in Cicero, didn't you? If you pronounce it "restraunt" (only two syllables), you'll always spell it incorrectly.

Memorize this photo, and recall it every time you write the word. Or go to the corner of W. Adams and State St.:) (Best German food outside Germany!)
proxy.php

Ship,

You could do what I do and just use the word 'cafe', since I can only spell restaurant when I use the spell checker. :)

Ship--it's probably a Chicago thing; you grew up in Cicero, didn't you? If you pronounce it "restraunt" (only two syllables), you'll always spell it incorrectly.

Memorize this photo, and recall it every time you write the word. Or go to the corner of W. Adams and State St.:) (Best German food outside Germany!)
proxy.php

Thanks, I'll print up a picture. Families from the south side, I was raised in the burbs... Worked many of the Burgoff October Fests' on the other hand - good beer... More a question for me when given the choice in studying spelling somehow that I never got, or watch TV, I normally chose the latter. For me figuring out how to spell as a concept in being a slow learner in being given spelling words and learning them in time for a test and not having a problem with writing 50x times each mis-spelled word on a test afterwards... I took the latter in still not learning how to spell them no matter how many times I re-wrote them. Only typing lamp notes later in the years for the most part has helped me learn to spell better, but not much in some words I have had to learn since the primary learning days.

Fact of being, I'm a slow learner... was hard for me to get out of boot camp and artillery school etc. But once I learned something, was ready to learn it and needed to know it, it than became photographic memory for me. Just took a bit of extra time at times or needed an immediancy for me.

We all learn differently.

Point being sometimes if posting on line for some the nudge by others will help, for others one hopes they would not feel embarrissed or pressured overly, for some it won't help because they are not ready to learn yet. Still back to the concept, for all we have different ways of learning stuff. Nobody stupid, just different and different tacts to take on them.

Still thinking that gentle corrections at times if overt but simple or unclear otherwise to read and understand and PM's if less so able to help them without that understanding of it being help would be good.

Just as I just printed the Burgoff sign to stick to my computer, sometimes it does help that help and I admit I am not great in many areas. Once that's with all and realized no offense is meant none should be taken.

My opinion at least.

Last edited:
Just as I just printed the Burgoff sign to stick to my computer, ...
A quick glance at the photo would show you it's The Berghoff Restaurant! (...in keeping with my new policy of only correcting proper nouns.);)

A quick glance at the photo would show you it's The Berghoff Restaurant! (...in keeping with my new policy of only correcting proper nouns.);)

I'm very proud of your learned restraint to proper nouns. Maybe after a week of this, if you're still successful, we can make you a trophy. ;)

Am I allowed to correct people in their spelling of common nouns? I had difficulty choosing, but at the person joined today, I decided to let it go...

By the way, if anyone wants to understand why grammar is important; listen to Steven Pinker! He actually has a really cool book called The Stuff of Thought: Language as a Window into Human Nature. I strongly recommend anyone with 75 minutes to spare check this out; it's a long summary of that book. He's especially detailed in the psychology of the English language. It takes a really intelligent person to be able to understand why the strangest aspects of English, are the way they are.

I'm very proud of your learned restraint to proper nouns. Maybe after a week of this, if you're still successful, we can make you a trophy. ;)

Am I allowed to correct people in their spelling of common nouns? I had difficulty choosing, but as the person joined today, I decided to let it go...

Don't see why not..... Just be polite. ;)

Who knows? In time you may just get your own trophy. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back