CB: Technical Forum or English Class?

How tolerant should CB members be toward abuse of the Language Arts?

• Total voters
on a different note, I don't think grammar should be attacked too much as the tone of the website is conversational, we are not writing letters to each other. With that in mind the long run on sentence I just used is not something I should be jumped on for.

on a different note, I don't think grammar should be attacked too much as the tone of the website is conversational, we are not writing letters to each other. With that in mind the long run on sentence I just used is not something I should be jumped on for.
While the tone of the website may indeed be conversational, often grammar is required--to aid in clarity. Interchanging "then and than" makes it more difficult to understand the writer's message.

Perhaps it's a personal prejudice, but I cannot help thinking less of a person who constantly misuses "there, their, and they're," or "your and you're."

May I "jump on you" for not capitalizing the first letter or a sentence, or for ending a phrase with a preposition?;)

Another problem which kills message clarity is sentence structure. The most confusing part is when sentences are grammatically correct, but don't convey the thought as intended. I was just catching up on my Rescue Me minisodes when I stumbles across this sentence which serves as a perfect example.

During his funeral Sean and Maggie decide to get married at the cemetery.
That's a perfect sentence grammatically, but after reading it am lead to the wrong conclusion. That sentence seems to say that they decided to have the wedding at a cemetery rather than they decided, at the cemetery, to become married.

Food for thought...

Derek, I think Pie is no talking about then/than, but rather sentence structure, and overall structure.

I write, on CB, as if I were talking to someone, as I think Pie is referencing.

As such, I try and let my prose read as if I were talking to someone. Conversationally, we manipulate grammar all the time, and no one minds. As such, some of us manipulate grammar on CB for timing, or effect, or what ever.

I also tend to use contractions, typical in conversation, but not in writing, such as 'cause. It's what I'd say to your face, so why not on CB?

During his funeral Sean and Maggie decide to get married at the cemetery.
...That sentence seems to say that they decided to have the wedding at a cemetery rather than they decided, at the cemetery, to become married. ...
For me, the fact that they they wanted to have their wedding in a graveyard wasn't nearly as disturbing as Maggie willing to marry a dead person.:) Sorry Sean, I didn't even know you were ill.

In another forum, someone wrote "there are some articles on the cow that ill find and post a link to about building a project for digital signage, but the principals the same." Articles on the cow? I haven't a clue what that means. This?
proxy.php

The entire sentence (and other errors in the rest of the post) makes me not want to rely on this person's research.

I write, on CB, as if I were talking to someone, as I think Pie is referencing.

As such, I try and let my prose read as if I were talking to someone.

This is not directed at you Charc. You brought the point up in my mind.

When talking to someone, you have instant feedback on the clarity of your communication. When writing, you don't. Clarity of communication is helped by using standards such as sentence structure, spelling, word selection, and grammar.

Andre

This is not directed at you Charc. You brought the point up in my mind.

When talking to someone, you have instant feedback on the clarity of your communication. When writing, you don't. Clarity of communication is helped by using standards such as sentence structure, spelling, word selection, and grammar.

Andre

Which is not to say I don't attempt that, I try and let it coexist with my style of writing.

I'm tired after a 15 hour day of (b)Nutcracker...so I'm not going to read through the 3 pages of this thread.

1) The title of this thread is incredibly funny.

2) This has always been a place where proffesional meets educational. And as such it needs to be educational. I make a few typos (I know derek has a running list of mine somewhere so that the day we finally meet he can throw it in my face) that being said:

LEARN TO SPELL AND GRAMMAR CHECK. As best as you can at a glance. I'm not asking you to use a fine tooth comb to proof read, but know this: some of the crap sentences that get posted on forums like this one would be ignored by proffesionals if recieved in an email.

Its a matter of practice. Its one of those first steps to being a proffesional. Type like a proffesional and you're one step closer to being one.

This is a great place to practice that. God knows I do. God knows that someone will grammar check this post to throw back at me. That's ok.

When I worked at a university I not only corrected my students, but proffesors as well. How can you expect anyone to treat you seriously as an educator if you can't capitalize a sentence in your email?

Save L33t for text messages to your BFF's. Beyond that NEVER USE IT AGAIN.

/rant off.

professional

professor, received, sorry it's the thread.

Told you so.

Re:

Irreverent posts moved here.

I'm tired after a 15 hour day of (b)Nutcracker...so I'm not going to read through the 3 pages of this thread.

1) The title of this thread is incredibly funny.

2) This has always been a place where proffesional meets educational. And as such it needs to be educational. I make a few typos (I know derek has a running list of mine somewhere so that the day we finally meet he can throw it in my face) that being said:

LEARN TO SPELL AND GRAMMAR CHECK. As best as you can at a glance. I'm not asking you to use a fine tooth comb to proof read, but know this: some of the crap sentences that get posted on forums like this one would be ignored by proffesionals if recieved in an email.

Its a matter of practice. Its one of those first steps to being a proffesional. Type like a proffesional and you're one step closer to being one.

This is a great place to practice that. God knows I do. God knows that someone will grammar check this post to throw back at me. That's ok.

When I worked at a university I not only corrected my students, but proffesors as well. How can you expect anyone to treat you seriously as an educator if you can't capitalize a sentence in your email?

Save L33t for text messages to your BFF's. Beyond that NEVER USE IT AGAIN.

/rant off.

It's great to see that i am not the only one enjoying Nutcracker. Except for my 16 hour crew shifts occurred over the past 2 weeks. I also agree on your stance about the professionalism that can be extracted from the way one writes. After being an active member here, I can hardly stand reading any other forum. It seems immature and childish.

(Oh and by the way, it's more commonly represented as 1337.):)

Warm the fat lady up, this thread is going to get closed faster than a nightclub using pyrotechincs without a licence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back