CB: Technical Forum or English Class?

How tolerant should CB members be toward abuse of the Language Arts?

• Total voters
Save L33t for text messages to your BFF's. Beyond that NEVER USE IT AGAIN.

/rant off.

I agree 100% and I won't answer any questions written in IM lingo, but I'm not going to jump on any one for it. If you want to look like an idiot that is your deal, and if you don't realize how bad it looks then one post from me correcting your spelling is not going to change things.

People like to wear their pants around their knees, I think it is indecent and makes them look stupid, but I don't go around yanking their pants back up.

Last edited by a moderator:
.....People like to wear their pants around their knees, I think it is indecent and makes them look stupid, but I don't go around yanking their pants back up.

I think I just might mke that into a bumper sticker.:mrgreen:

If I were in charge of hiring for a company, I would take the applicant's spelling and grammar into account. Now, that being said, to the person who mentioned that not everyone speaks English as their first language, I think we can all agree to be a bit more lenient for them. English isn't the easiest language by far. However, if you're in college and can't even type a proper response that doesn't leave the rest of us trying to help going, "What the **** did he just say?" then there's a problem.

I say let the occasional grammar or spelling mistake go, but if we can't read what you typed, then someone needs to step in. To quote Danny from Caddyshack, "Great grammar."

This isn't Mrs. Smith's English class, but if you can't communicate effectively, how do expect to succeed in any career?

Ok, so I HIRE people as electricians and ALD's. Let me tell you, when they can't spell the names of the consoles they supposedly know, or the equipment made by any manufacturer, I automatically ditch the resume. If you can't spell Obsession or Expression or the name of any other console you have supposedly spent hours in front of, well I have 30 other applicants for your job that can. Maybe I'm an old timer and I prefer people that can spell. Ok, I'm down with that, and I am unlikely to change. So, you can learn the proper spellings of the equipment you are using or limit your job opportunities. Your choice.

Ok, so I HIRE people as electricians and ALD's. Let me tell you, when they can't spell the names of the consoles they supposedly know, or the equipment made by any manufacturer, I automatically ditch the resume. If you can't spell Obsession or Expression or the name of any other console you have supposedly spent hours in front of, well I have 30 other applicants for your job that can. Maybe I'm an old timer and I prefer people that can spell. Ok, I'm down with that, and I am unlikely to change. So, you can learn the proper spellings of the equipment you are using or limit your job opportunities. Your choice.

Now there is a resounding endorsement for our spelling policies... See kids? Learn to spell or go hungry. :twisted:

"Who utters sush depressing and disgusting noises has no right to be anywhere - no right to live. Remmber that you are a human being with a soul and the divine gift of articulate speech; that your native language is that of the Shakespeare and Milton and the Bible....." Pof. Henry Higgins MY FAIR LADY

Last edited:
"Who utters sush depressing and disgusting noises has no right to be anywhere - no right to live. Remmber that you are a human being with a soul and the divine gift of articulate speech; that your native language is that of the Shaespeare and Milton and the Bible....." Pof. Henry Higgins MY FAIR LADY

Don't you mean Shakespeare ? :p

"Who utters sush depressing and disgusting noises has no right to be anywhere - no right to live. Remmber that you are a human being with a soul and the divine gift of articulate speech; that your native language is that of the Shakespeare and Milton and the Bible....." Pof. Henry Higgins MY FAIR LADY

that would be remember :p ha ha ha.. too funny. Sorry man, just had to give you a hard time given the topic of the thread.

I'd just like to say I DESPISE the word (if you could call it that) LOL. Are you seriously laughing?

I think that conveying expressions like laughing (lol) is a great way to add to the point you are trying to make. That's not to say i believe in abbreviating everything you say.
Typos need to be accepted; we are human, we make mistakes.
As for spelling, yes people need to check what they are posting, but if you get the point across, seriously, where is the harm.
As for the captian commas out there: i know that should be a comma or semicolon, but not everyone else does. EASE UP!:p

Terms like "lol", "rofl" and other similar terms are becoming more and more part of modern culture. There is no real way to prevent such developments but i still agree that there is a need to maintain a certain quality.

/-\5 G|23/-\7 /-\5 13375p33k |5, |7'5 |-|/-\|2|) 2 |23/-\|)!!1!
(for the leetspeakers)

Lets be honest, if it's readable then grammar and spelling isn't all that important, if U tlk lyk ths tho, it gets a little confusing!

Re: Control Booth: Tech. Forum or English Class??

I think spelling terms and pieces of equipment correctly is kinda important. When I see people write Leco I know they don't know very much.

Lets be honest, if it's readable then grammar and spelling isn't all that important, if U tlk lyk ths tho, it gets a little confusing!
Isn't that sort of like saying "if it doesn't fall now then how it's held up isn't important"?

Typos happen, but if someone doesn't seem to care enough to invest the time and effort to at least try to use correct grammar and spelling, then others may have trouble taking what they write seriously.

I may be an old fart, but I get worried when I see an attitude expressed that doing something right isn't important. Improper grammar and spelling may not seem a big deal, but if the attitude of accepting what is known to be wrong because it is easier or more expedient is deemed acceptable, then how long before that attitude starts to permeate into areas where it really can matter? When I look at resumes the grammar and spelling in them definitely does matter and it is something that I know from talking to others can affect how people view perspective employees and applicants.

I do find it ironic that in a time where spell check and auto correction is more prevalent and readily available than ever, you also seem to see more spelling and grammatical errors and poorer use of language than ever.

Isn't that sort of like saying "if it doesn't fall now then how it's held up isn't important"?

Typos happen, but if someone doesn't seem to care enough to invest the time and effort to at least try to use correct grammar and spelling, then others may have trouble taking what they write seriously.

I may be an old fart, but I get worried when I see an attitude expressed that doing something right isn't important. Improper grammar and spelling may not seem a big deal, but if the attitude of accepting what is known to be wrong because it is easier or more expedient is deemed acceptable, then how long before that attitude starts to permeate into areas where it really can matter? When I look at resumes the grammar and spelling in them definitely does matter and it is something that I know from talking to others can affect how people view prospective employees and applicants.

I do find it ironic that in a time where spell check and auto correction is more prevalent and readily available than ever, you also seem to see more spelling and grammatical errors and poorer use of language than ever.

There you go. One minor grammer correction.:twisted:

...When I look at resumes the grammar and spelling in them definitely does matter and it is something that I know from talking to others can affect how people view perspective employees and applicants.

So if I sent you my resume and my cover letter said, "I can haz job now?" I wouln't get hired?

Wai not?? :think:

(ducks and runs)

There you go. One minor grammar correction.:twisted:
Returning the favor! :doh:

Also reinforcing my point, while a minor mistake, rather than blowing it off as not being significant, I'm actually a bit embarrassed. I will think about that particular terminology in the future, thus I potentially benefit from your pointing it out. This can obviously be taken too far but I believe that learning of any type is part of what CB is all about.

I agree that when doing something in your profession you should try hard to do things correctly. I had an prospective employee fill out an application and in his work history he listed the reason for leaving a job as being disemployed.
On a board like this everybody will have typos but you still have to try. Believe me I am a horrible speller but I try to use grammar properly and spell correctly.
My pet pieve is using they're and there, to, two and too interchangably.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back