CB: Technical Forum or English Class?

How tolerant should CB members be toward abuse of the Language Arts?

• Total voters
Returning the favor! :doh:

Thank you. I can't believe I missed that.:oops:

I agree that when doing something in your profession you should try hard to do things correctly. I had an prospective employee fill out an application and in his work history he listed the reason for leaving a job as being disemployed.
On a board like this everybody will have typos but you still have to try. Believe me I am a horrible speller but I try to use grammar properly and spell correctly.
My pet pieve is using they're and there, to, two and too interchangably.

What about their?:think:

And it's peeve, not pieve.:snooty:

I think I might start inserting mistakes in my posts just to see if anyone catches them.:angel:

...I do find it ironic that in a time where spell check and auto correction is more prevalent and readily available than ever, you also seem to see more spelling and grammatical errors and poorer use of language than ever.
Purloined from the Stagecraft Mailing List:
"Ode to my Spell Checker"

Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect awl the weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.

Above, Derek subtly points out my personal pet peeves... The errors which spell check does not catch.

Things like:
They're, There, Their
To, Too
You're, Your
Course, Coarse
Its, It's (I have violated this one many times in the past)
The list goes on. And on... And on.

I have always been a terrible speller - so I may very well let the spell checker suggest a wrong word - but I can't understand lots of blatant errors in a post. I mean there is a spell check built into the browser.

What really makes me crazy, however, is folks who do not seem to read what they are posting before the push the button. They just type and submit. So many posts are so unclear that I find it a very hard to understand what the person is trying to say.

IE I would like to see some more work on clarity and composition than spelling - not that spelling is not important, but (IMHO) it is not the most urgent problem.

Perhaps a poll on 'Do you read and re-edit your post prior to posting' might be in order.

John

For some reason Firefox only spell checks if I go advanced, not just Quick Reply, this bugs me.

Being a newbie to this forum, I am glad to see that everyone takes spelling and grammar serious! My spelling had never been the best but I believe that if you make sure that you dont rush and actually READ what you have written before you post it, you will catch most of the spellings mistakes yourself.
And can someone tell me where the spell checker is on the Advanced poster, because I can not find it :oops:

... that everyone takes spelling and grammar serious! ...
"Seriously." Since the word is modifying a verb ("takes"), the adverb form is required.:)

The spell checker is built-in to the browser, not Control Booth. One of the best features of Firefox. It flags words not in its dictionary with a red underline. Most of these terms must be added manually.

Last edited:
Being a newbie to this forum, I am glad to see that everyone takes spelling and grammar serious! My spelling had never been the best but I believe that if you make sure that you dont rush and actually READ what you have written before you post it, you will catch most of the spellings mistakes yourself.
And can someone tell me where the spell checker is on the Advanced poster, because I can not find it :oops:

Right here...

proxy.php

However, I had to download and install ieSpell to get it to work. So as Derek says, it's built into the browser, not ControlBooth.com.

I think so long as a level of proffesionalism is maintained :). Judging from responses from users most people here know what they are talking about and have very specific and vast knowledge. If users asking question can be understood with out having to translate into real sentance syntax i don't mind the abbreviations of words or typos/slang here and there.

I think so long as a level of proffesionalism is maintained :). Judging from responses from users most people here know what they are talking about and have very specific and vast knowledge. If users asking question can be understood with out having to translate into real sentance syntax i don't mind the abbreviations of words or typos/slang here and there.

two words,

Google Chrome

IMO :) love it.
You'll understand if I don't find your endorcement of Google Chrome's spell check features convincing?:rolleyes:

Has Control Booth turned into an English lesson? Tell us what you think!

I think that the single biggest influence on my career of 35 years has been the ability to use the English language well in writing. There is no other more valuable tool!

Therefore, I think we should use Draconian measures, if necessary, to influence our contributors to aspire to great communication in the written word!

My 2 cents...

ST

Re: Control Booth: Tech. Forum or English Class??

I think spelling terms and pieces of equipment correctly is kinda important. When I see people write Leco I know they don't know very much.

Maybe this thread should be linked to the, "What is your major," link.

I will say that I see more intelligent grammar here than in other forums.

If you do not know their, there, they're, you missed out big time. If you do not know how to use apostrophe... I must stop myself here.

All non-Americans are immediately forgiven. Je parle un peu de francais.

Il y beaucoup des Américains qui ne parlent pas anglais en tant que leur première langue, et bien plus de non-Américains qui font. C'est pourquoi la langue ne s'appelle English et pas l'Américain.

Maybe this thread should be linked to the, "What is your major," link.

I will say that I see more intelligent grammar here than in other forums.

If you do not know their, there, they're, you missed out big time. If you do not know how to use apostrophe... I must stop myself here.

I agree about proper grammar and spelling should be correct here more than other boards I'm on, but my feeling is when you post on any board you have the time and tools to make your post as correct as possible. Believe me I am as spelling impaired as anybody but if I'm not sure I check.

Il y beaucoup des Américains qui ne parlent pas anglais en tant que leur première langue, et bien plus de non-Américains qui font. C'est pourquoi la langue ne s'appelle English et pas l'Américain.

Merci beaucoup. Bon dit, sk8rsdad!

I think it's important to write well to get your point across but it seems like things go well here I'm going to agree that "l33t" is unacceptable but if the general message makes it to the other members it's no big deal

I think that "l33t" should not be used because I find it harder to read than normal text. I also agree that there should be some policy as to how grammar and spelling should be monitored because when you post something it's essentially your face. Meaning how you type is a reflection of who you are, if you don't care about spelling and grammar that says something about you and if you do care it says something else about you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back