CB: Technical Forum or English Class?

How tolerant should CB members be toward abuse of the Language Arts?

• Total voters
Grammar is about clarity, and clarity is important in communication. When discussing technical issues, clear and precise language is the most effective and efficient way to both ask and answer a question or communicate a new idea.

Let us promote: Technically correct and grammatically brief. I don't care if I'm reading complete sentences as long as the equipment and process are accurately communicated. Forums are also not the venue for your personal blog. Statement, question, answer, link, pic, short history of solution or problem... Brevity is best. If I'm on a job my brain is already too full and speeding...
MaddMaxx
"Beat entropy...swallow rocks and walk uphill"

I don't care if I'm reading complete sentences as long as the equipment and process are accurately communicated.
An alternative perspective is that if it is not important enough for a person posting to invest the time and effort to do it right, then why should anyone see it as worth investing their own time and effort in responding? Another is that if "good enough" is acceptable for some things then how pervasive is that perspective into everything one does? The general issue in both is looking at it from both sides, how you view it and how it may be viewed by others as well as how it serves you and how it may serve others.

Brevity is best. If I'm on a job my brain is already too full and speeding"
Understood, however consider that anything posted in any forum is not read or applied by just one person but potentially by everyone there. This is greatly an educational forum and many times an overly simplified or incomplete post or response can lead to as many problems and misunderstandings as it solves. I agree the verbosity should be avoided but also believe that has to be balanced with providing complete and clear information.

My spelling is almost as bad as my typing but I know, most of the time, when it is misspelled. I may have to look it up or ask my wife but I certainly try to get it right. My biggest complaint on any forum is no punctuation, no capitalization, and the use of texting/chat abbreviations that I have no clue what they mean. l33t means nothing to me. Somebody said it is hard to read. To me it is worthless because I have no idea what it means. My belief is if you wouldn't send it to your boss or teacher, don't post it on a forum.

I had a boss once that I had to proof all his memos, absolutely unreadable. The bad part was I was told I couldn't apply for the job because I lacked a degree so I wasn't qualified.

When I tell students that I will be docking them for errors in spelling and grammar, I'm usually greeted with cries of, "...But this isn't English class!", as if the purpose of English class were to teach people to use correct English...in English class.

When I tell students that I will be docking them for errors in spelling and grammar, I'm usually greeted with cries of, "...But this isn't English class!", as if the purpose of English class were to teach people to use correct English...in English class.

Very well said, Rocky.

The claim from math students is quite similar, I'm sure. "Hey, I can't balance my checkbook (or make change at the drive-thru window for that matter), but I got an A on my math test yesterday!!!

:doh:

The claim from math students is quite similar, I'm sure. "Hey, I can't balance my checkbook (or make change at the drive-thru window for that matter), but I got an A on my math test yesterday!!!

:doh:
Nothing necessarily new there. 30+ years ago my high school, in cooperation with the local Chamber of Commerce, ran an informal a 'practical skills' test addressing things such as making change and how many bottles of milk to give when someone wants a gallon and all you have is quarts or how many quarters to put in the meter when you get 15 minutes per quarter and want to park for an hour and a quarter. The results were rather disappointing even though we had to take a class a class on some basics like balancing a checkbook in order to graduate. I doubt that a similar test given today would fare any better, especially if you prohibited looking up the answers online or getting help via texting.

I doubt that a similar test given today would fare any better, especially if you're prohibited looking up the answers online or getting help via texting.

There ya go!

Welcome to 2010, where a classroom test isn't given to the student but rather given to the student and their NETWORK.

(*steps off apple crate)

The reality is with English we have an amazing ability to read some pretty weird stuff and actually know what it says

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?

One think that a lot of young folks miss is that all these posts on the internet tend to last for a long long time, so at some point it time some of the stuff might be a bit embarrassing

Sharyn

proxy.php

Re: CB: Technical Forum or LATIN Class?

According to my high school latin teacher, it's per se, not persay.

per se is latin for "by itself", often used in law to mean "excluding any extraneous factors".

persay doesn't mean anything. The Urban Dictionary defines it as "something you say at the end of a sentence to sound intelligent".

I'm reading the book The Fight for English - How language pundits ate, shot, and left by David Crystal for my basic linguistics class and immediately thought of this thread. Derek would like it.

Take all the prescribed rules and throw 'em out the window... that's what I say ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back