CB: Technical Forum or English Class?

How tolerant should CB members be toward abuse of the Language Arts?

• Total voters
Can we please add apostrophe usage? Remember: "apostrophes," not "apostrophe's" unless you are talking about the apostrophe's tail.

Can we please add apostrophe usage? Remember: "apostrophes," not "apostrophe's" unless you are talking about the apostrophe's tail.

you're apostrophes tail my apostrophes tale or the one looking for a friends tail, do u think this post will anoy derek! he May need some shok_therapie.

;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OK, so I didn't feel like reading all the posts again, but I found another post that might help people with some common mistakes. So, sorry if it has been posted before.
10 Words You Need to Stop Misspelling

proxy.php

Image from http://jimgodfreydesign.com/20/typographic-sins-poster/

Actually, two spaces between sentences is perfectly acceptable; ...
Only on a typewriter. Ever notice that this software will automatically truncate blank spaces? Go ahead. Try it! The only way to get more than a single space is to add one or more ___filler characters... and color them black; but they will still be visible to the keen eye.

I've never been able to break myself of the habit of pressing the spacebar twice after a period, colon, or semi-colon, but I first read about it in The Mac is Not a Typewriter, which contains many/most of the items listed on the poster above.

Actually, two spaces between sentences is perfectly acceptable; but good post.

It's not, because now we use proportional typesetting (where each character takes up a different amount of space) as opposed to monospaced type (where each character takes up the same amount of space). It was acceptable to put two spaces when using a monospaced typesetting (think typewriter) because it made it made the text easier to read. With computers this isn't necessary.

(I still put two spaces between sentences, even though I know it's wrong!)

Just saw this on Grammar.net:
proxy.php

Another example of, how important is, the comma.

proxy.php

Guides to Good Writing Style
1. Its important to use apostrophe's right.

2. It's better not to unnecessarily split an infinitive.

3. Never leave a transitive verb just lay t here without an object.

4. Only Proper Nouns should be capitalized. also a sentence should. begin with a capital and end with a full stop

5. Use hyphens in compound-words, not just in any two-word phrase.

6. In letters compositions reports and things like that we use commas to keep a string of items apart.

7. Watch out for irregular verbs which have creeped into our language.

8. Verbs has to agree with their subjects.

9. Avoid unnecessary redundancy.

10. A writer mustn't shift your point of view.

11. Don't write a run-on sentence you've got to punctuate it.

12. A preposition isn't a good thing to end a sentence with.

13. Avoid clichés like the plague. And the number 13.

Guides to Good Writing Style
1. Its important to use apostrophe's right.

2. It's better not to unnecessarily split an infinitive.

3. Never leave a transitive verb just lay t here without an object.

4. Only Proper Nouns should be capitalized. also a sentence should. begin with a capital and end with a full stop

5. Use hyphens in compound-words, not just in any two-word phrase.

6. In letters compositions reports and things like that we use commas to keep a string of items apart.

7. Watch out for irregular verbs which have creeped into our language.

8. Verbs has to agree with their subjects.

9. Avoid unnecessary redundancy.

10. A writer mustn't shift your point of view.

11. Don't write a run-on sentence you've got to punctuate it.

12. A preposition isn't a good thing to end a sentence with.

13. Avoid clichés like the plague. And the number 13.
Especially good coming from someone as young as chausman.

Especially good coming from someone as young as chausman.

I will confess I didn't come up with it, but found it on an old website, I meant to add a link, but lost internet from the school before I got a chance to. We have, how ever, talked about most of these in Honors 9 in the past few days talking about our own essays.

Nbr 119 Writing Style and Crazy Rules

I'm probably a terrible person, but I might lose my teacher card if I didn't point out that this sentence ends with a preposition.:confused:

Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put. -Winston Churchill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back