CB: Technical Forum or English Class?

How tolerant should CB members be toward abuse of the Language Arts?

• Total voters

nmccoart5

Has Control Booth turned into an English lesson? Tell us what you think!

Re: Control Booth: Tech. Forum or English Class??

I think spelling terms and pieces of equipment correctly is kinda important. When I see people write Leco I know they don't know very much.

I think perhaps we sometimes jump on peoples heads about spelling /grammar issues a little too hard but at the same time we have had some doozy's < doozeys> posted on here. Personally I have my issues occasional when I type too fast or if I don't go back and check myself. I don't think there is a huge issues with that and I appreciate the occasional jab by Derek at my mangled English. At the same time, however, I can tell you that good communication skills are EXTREMELY important in this business. If you cannot cogently relay your ideas or translate mental images into verbal < written> ones, then you will have a difficult time advancing in your career. Not too long ago I sat on a board at a local Community College. We were saddle with reviewing core and area specific educational requirements in several Liberal Arts degree areas. I was the Hard Ass on the panel. I was the one requiring more Mathematics and English Skills in order to graduate with a Theatre degree, even one in "just tech". I am often truly alarmed at the gaping holes in some applicants education and at their inability to properly express themselves.
So, to sum up, We might occasionally jump on folks heads but it's for the better good. I'm a carp I'll build you a bridge and you can get over it. :mrgreen:

I think part of what the ol' guys do when policing grammar/spelling is looking out for the younger ones. It's important to remember that what you write reflects who you are. You're not likely to get hired if you write "Proffisient in LiteWrite and Vectour-works".

Always double check any official documents you're sending out like resumés, cover letters, etc.. Feel free to have friends and family glance over them too, because a fresh set of eyes can really help.

However, it's important to get into the mindset of putting your best foot forward, and, as "all the world's a stage", why not start here?

You're not likely to get hired if you write "Proffisient in LiteWrite and Vectour-works".

Quoting me? Muahahaaaa...

I think we should continue having our grammar cops. It's important to teach people mild literacy. However, if it's someone's first post here, a simple reminder that we enjoy the use of the shift key and proper punctuation will suffice. I don't think we need to tackle the newbies and beat them too soon, though later... :twisted:
Naturally, if it's a technical term, correct it. We're here to help each other out, not to establish a sense of elitist (although we may be!) technicians vs uneducated, untouchable "techies".

Oh, and nice vote in the Poll, Derek. ;)

Yes, correcting mistakes is a good thing. A few spelling or grammar errors here and there don't bother me too much, but I've seen a few posts which I found completely unreadable. I absolutely agree with the general sentiment that you need to be able to communicate your ideas if you want to get anywhere in this, or any other industry. As far as the forums on this sight go, those of us who have been in the industry for a while can't help you if don't clearly communicate your question. And on those occasions when we need your help, if your answer is so poorly written that we can't understand it, you are no help to us.

... on this sight go, those ...
Site.

Now see, right there--that's my predicament. Should I?; or shouldn't I?; call attention to the error? In no way trying to be more grammatical than thou... (thee?):)

Last edited:
Now see, right there, is that's my predicament. Should I?; or shouldn't I?

Maybe we could add a little link below every post that says, "You illiterate!" and when opened lists corrections. :twisted:

If you can not communicate effectively with written posts that you can compose at your own pace, how do you expect to communicate effectively during the pressures of live performances?

Andre

I agree with cdub260... correcting vital mistakes such as the name of a company or piece of equipment is 100% necessary.... but sometimes people seem to take it to far... ie: Someone replying "You should use a comma to set off phrases that express contrast." or something of that nature.... is a little rediculous.... mabye we should pay a little attention to the spell check button located at the top right of this box?????

Last edited:
If you can not communicate effectively with written posts that you can compose at your own pace, how do you expect to communicate effectively during the pressures of live performances
I cannot recall a situation, ever, where I've had to use my writing skills to effectively communicate during a performance.
Now IF you're implying that it's better to say "John, go to the SL Fly Gallery and raise Lineset 27 two feet" than "Hey you, go up there and gimme another coupla feet on that one," with that I wholeheartedly agree.

I agree with cdub260... correcting vital mistakes such as the name of a company or piece of equipment is 100% necessary.... but sometimes people seem to take it to far... ie: Someone replying "You should use a comma to set off phrases that express contrast." or something of that nature.... is a little ridiculous.... maybe we should pay a little attention to the spell check button located at the top right of this box?????
I'm pretty sure I have no magic button "at the top right of this box." I use Firefox, which underlines in red words it suspects are mispelled, as I type them. I suspect most other browsers have this feature as well, and if not, why not?

I think it is a good idea for us to use proper English because it then becomes more natural to us. Honestly, for those of you who have ever used AIM or Yahoo! Messenger, how many times have you forgotten to capitalize "I" when referring yourself? I have on many occasions because I was used to getting sentences and thoughts out as quickly as possible while ignoring things like periods, commas, apostrophes, and capitalizations. Neglecting these fundamentals out of habit can easily spell disaster. I have emailed out several business inquiries where I have had to go back and capitalize i's and add apostrophes. It reminds me of this quote:

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle-

When we get used to typing and communicating correctly, it becomes second nature to us. It's a lesson that translates to so many areas of life.

For example: Wearing a seatbelt, using your blinker, using safety cables, saying "please" and "thank you", speaking correctly...

A little more on speaking correctly...

I'm from Texas. We're stereotyped as having a thick southern accent and using terms such as "y'all" and "fixin' to", but I can't tell you how many times I have been asked where I was from. People think I'm from the north (even people from the north!) because of the way I pronounce my words. I think it is because of sitting through so many notes sessions after rehearsals. Listening to directors stress pronunciations like "get, not git" or "many, not miny" has truly helped me become better at expressing myself - and separating myself from that redneck stereotype!

Last edited:
Ladies and Gentlemen, I believe we have an uncited offence in the very topic of this thread... Are we or are we not discussing a Tech Forum rather than something I should be submitting to the tax department? And to boot, in it's current state, the thread title does not even make sense... (Figured out my opinion on the matter yet?)

The reason we seem so strick around here is because when someone comes along and finds your user profile (trust me it happens) and sees what language your using, that job interview you were going to have might just get filled before you get there. Future employeers are starting to look at social networking sites such as facebook to see what nutjob they are about to hire.

all of this is contained in our helpful guide to spelling on controlbooth

http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/...lling-grammar-controlbooth-com.html#post98228

The reason we seem so strick around here is because when someone comes along and finds your user profile (trust me it happens) and sees what language your using, that job interview you were going to have might just get filled before you get there. Future employeers are starting to look at social networking sites such as facebook to see what nutjob they are about to hire.

Um, ok....

STRICT

YOU'RE

EMPLOYERS

--Sean

all of this is contained in our helpful guide to spelling on controlbooth.

http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/...lling-grammar-controlbooth-com.html#post98228
Sean has cited the mispellings. The first sentence above falls into the category of run-on. Regarding the second: proper names are capitalized. Third: sentences begin with a capital letter, proper names are capitalized, and end with a period. Or, in this case, as the independent clause serves to introduce the link, a colon: http://www.creativeteachingsite.com/humorgrammar.htm.

While I'm almost willing to suspect that your intentions are honorable, Hughesie, it's quite tiresome to continually edit and correct your entries in the Wiki, where grammatical errors serve to destroy the creditability of the article.

Also, I suggest that one refrain from using the royal pronoun "we" in future writings, unless one possesses a mouse in his/her pocket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back