The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

CD Players

Discussion in 'Sound, Music, and Intercom' started by chslighttech, Jun 26, 2006.

1. chslighttech

chslighttech Member

We now have two cd players in our auditorium at school after a mix up at the board of education. We get to keep both of them. We had a Numark CDN 36 And we just got a Gem sound CD60. I think they both work great. But im wondering which one we should use for shows and keep in the rack? Or maybe we could hook both up and have 4 cd channels. So which one would you think would be the best choice to use?

2. Footer

Footer Senior Team Senior Team Premium Member

which one has autopause?

3. chslighttech

chslighttech Member

Could you please elaborate on what autopause is exactly? THey both of loop in and loop out and reloop and cues and pitch wheels and pitch control sliders. THey are basically the same.

4. audioslavematt

audioslavematt Active Member

If I had two, I would be using both. If you only have room for one, keep the one that has auto cue and auto pause. Those are two nifty little features that save headaches. Then you can split up routing and use one to send to the rears if you have them and use the other for the mains. Throwing thunder, for example, at the audience from different places puts them right in the middle of the action. Then again, if you have an Echo console and SFX, you're set.

5. audioslavematt

audioslavematt Active Member

Auto cue- Advances a track to the first sound
    Auto pause- Stops after a track is played, aka. auto ready.

I'm sure Andy will be here shortly with a page long, detailed explanation, but you get the general idea.

6. Footer

Footer Senior Team Senior Team Premium Member

To me, autopause is the deciding factor in a player of any type for theatre use. Its the only reason that i still use MD because most of those players have autopause.

7. Austinro

Austinro Member

Keep both for when one inexplicably fails during a show. I have never personally used an Autocue function. Anytime there is an extremely time critical cue, I put the audio file into Cubase, and remove the pause at the beginning. Most of the time if people just hand me CD's (for variety shows and things such as that), three seconds of silence at the beginning of a track aren't really going to hurt.

8. avkid

avkid Not a New User Fight Leukemia

Stagehand/ Production Company Owner
    Gem Sound, seriously? Leave that one out.

9. Andy_Leviss

Andy_Leviss Active Member Premium Member

LOL, nope, you hit it right on the head :) Only thing I can add is that some decks (the good ones to use for theatre) advance to the next track in auto pause mode. Others pause at the end of the first track (more akin to single play mode, just going into pause instead of stopping after the track).

--A

10. chslighttech

chslighttech Member

I know the Numark one does that. When you have it in single play mode it will finish the track and advance to the next one but it wont start playing it. I havent played with the Gem sound one yet but i shall this week.

11. GRCHSCAW

GRCHSCAW Member

I would keep them both in more cd players the less you have to swich CDS. At our school we have 2 CD players and it is relly nice.