CD Ripping - Fair Use or Copyright Infringement?

I was referring to completely unrelated music I played over the speakers.

Wait, so every time we use song "X" (lets say once a month), we have to pay a fee? Yes, we have an ASCAP thing, but does that mean every time we use the song we have to pay a fee?
What about worship aids and powerpoints, every time we print it we have to pay a fee? Thats just pathetic.
It's not pathetic, it's artists wanting to make a living. It's been a while for me, but the last time I worked for a church the licensing agency (CCLI?) made allowances for copies and media used in worship. The fees were not extravagant.

In the case of church songs, check the artist websites. Many of them provide free media.

I was referring to completely unrelated music I played over the speakers.

Wait, so every time we use song "X" (lets say once a month), we have to pay a fee? Yes, we have an ASCAP thing, but does that mean every time we use the song we have to pay a fee?
What about worship aids and powerpoints, every time we print it we have to pay a fee? Thats just pathetic.

Every time a recorded song is played be it a DJ, Radio Station, or a Church playing background music on the way in a fee is paid via ASCAP or BMI so that the person who wrote the song gets a little money... the fee is only a few cents by the way. When a musician records a song they pay a fee to the writer for the privilege of using their music. When a church buys a Hymnal or some sort of song book not only are they paying for the book they are also paying the writer of the song for the rights to perform it publicly. The trick that catches churches is youth leaders print out home made songbooks, people make a quick powerpoint slide, or print the lyrics in a bulletin. Just think of it as any time an organization sings a song someone needs to pay the writer for their efforts to create that song.

As Sayen said within the Christian community these fees are quite low and many songs are even free but if I remember right you have to pay a pretty low fee to CCLI and print specific info on everything. If you want your church to be compliant get in touch with the CCLI people and they will help you.

Ok, what happened at the Eastside Coffe House?

My expereince with small venues and small theatres is that a lot of them pay a one time fee to use anythign and everything to the copywright people. That way no matter what is played they are covered.

Something that I allways ask about before I go into a space, and make it their responsibility to make sure that they are covered, not mine. I know many a designer that has that written into their clause on their contract just in case.

Do you have an ASCAP license through which you have paid the rights to use the music in a public performance? I thought so.

My expereince with small venues and small theatres is that a lot of them pay a one time fee to use anythign and everything to the copywright people. That way no matter what is played they are covered.

This is a whole 'nother long discussion, but ASCAP/BMI blanket licenses DO NOT COVER use in a dramatic performance. These uses are called "grand rights" and are licensed directly and individually by the publishing company of each piece. Blanket licenses from ASCAP/BMI ONLY cover background music that is not contributing to the dramatic piece.

--Andy

This is a whole 'nother long discussion, but ASCAP/BMI blanket licenses DO NOT COVER use in a dramatic performance. These uses are called "grand rights" and are licensed directly and individually by the publishing company of each piece. Blanket licenses from ASCAP/BMI ONLY cover background music that is not contributing to the dramatic piece.

--Andy

I think you are mostly right Andy. I believe the convention of Grand Rights only comes into play when dealing with musicals. Which is what I think you are saying, but I want to make sure it's clear. If I were to use "Rhapsody in Blue" as preshow music, and then at key times thoughout a performance as, say a recurring theme, this usage is covered by a Blanket ASCP / BMI. If however I were to write < OMG I just had to correct that I spelled right instead of write.> a musical which used Rhapsody in Blue as a central theme, and called specifically for it's use in subsequent productions, or even re-orchestrated, to make a few song out of it, that would require "Grand Rights" Since Grand Rights are typically negotiated with the publishers said rights are usually granted when one obtains the scores, or sides for the musical. Let's say you decided to do Bye, Bye, Birdie and everyone picked up a script at a bookstore, then the music director just went and found sheet music somewhere, and you produce the play without a contract with Samuel French < or whoever publishes it > this would be a clear violation of several different things, but among them would be a violation of grand rights.

Again I'm am not saying Andy is wrong just doing a little clarification.

< I'm not a lawyer, I've never played one on TV. I do look good in an Armani suit, carrying a breifcase however, and I'm very argumentative.>

Users who are viewing this thread

Back