CD80 Opto Power Light Off

Hello! Any ideas what might have caused a CD80 dimmer rack to lose power to the opto? On 1/3 racks the light was out and after power cycling all the units all was well. Any thoughts on what would have suddenly caused the opto in the third rack to stop working?

AlsoJust for future reference - is the opto splitter itself in the bottom of these units? Is this also where the node would be since this install only has a DMX Input via StrandNet? Couldn’t quite find any documentation that explained this.

Hmm, I assume you are referring to C21 CD80s. A DMX signal landed in a C21 rack will get converted to ShowNet over ethernet. Dimmers are configured to respond to ShowNet values. A dimmer in a rack on the same network can be configured to respond to a DMX signal landed in a different rack through ShowNet.

I am a little puzzled by the words "opto" and "opto splitter" which are terms usually used in a DMX distribution system. The DMX inputs in C21 are opto-isolated so maybe that is what is being brought up here.

The control electronics are in the Rack Processor Housing. There is a system interface board on top that is accessible when the housing is removed from the rack. Control wiring and ethernet are landed on this board. Below is the rack processor.

I have seen situations where a C21 rack would stop responding to inputs on a periodic basis and require a power cycle to operate again. If this problem occurs repeatedly in the same rack I would contact the dealer or Strand.

Whoops! No they are CD80 supervisors. On the front they have an opto power light which was not originally illuminated until the racks were power cycled. Found a couple pictures of one for sale on Solaris which shows what I'm referring to

Attachments

• 81481549_xlarge.jpg
    81481549_xlarge.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 129
  • 67455423_xlarge.jpg
    67455423_xlarge.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 152
There are three power supplies mounted in the processor housing module in CD80 SV. Two are 12 volts and power SWC and Outlook stations. The third is 5 volts and I believe powers electronics on the interface board. This also may power the opto light. In distant memory I recall wondering why this was called opto power. I have never seen a failure in these power supplies in the field.

A common failure in these aging racks are the processors. A power cycle might restore functioning in one temporarily but it would ultimately need servicing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back